“Not the Kalahari, but Pretty Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #41 of 72 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
chicago
“Not the Kalahari, but Pretty Nice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2008

Very nice spot. Have stayed at Kalahari, Wilderness, and Great Wolf, and I would rate Chula Vista right up there. Main drawback is that while having 600 rooms, the Indoor Park area is pretty small, comparatively speaking. I would say it's maybe 1/4 to 1/3 the size of Kalahari. But despite being small, slides were as good of not better. We were there on a Monday night with no crowd and it was great. Pretty sure I wouldn't go there on a busy weekend. My 10 year old boys loved it. If they doubled the size of the indoor park with a wavepool, Chula Vista would hands down be our favorite Dells resort.
Room was about what you's expect anywhere in the Dells. Comfortable, but pretty average. About what you'd expect from a Holiday Inn.
Buffet was recommended, and not bad. Was pretty pricey though. $22 for an adult on a weeknight. head downtown to Monks. Good burgers, and great atmosphere.
We'll definitely go again, but we'll only do it at off times.

• Liked — Water slides
  • Disliked — Size of the water park
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank chadp1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Turkish first
neenah
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2008

We arrived and was very impressed by the grounds its very beautiful and secluded in the woods on the Wisconsin river. We were able to check in early.But we had the all-inclusive and it didn't start until 4:00 so we had to bum around our room and the hallways until it started. Then We went to the buffet and it wasn't open for dinner until 5:00. But it was very nice my husband ate lots and lots of crab legs and we had lots of beer and fun fruity drinks. I loved the outdoor Hot tub big as a pool .Although it fried my hair so if any ladies reading this has colored/highlights don't dip your hair in it. Very strong chemicals and I am a hairdresser and use nice products still didn't protect my hair.Also I forgot Conditioner that of which they do not have for you in the room .All they have is a travel size bottle of Finesse in the Gift shop for 3 something. yuck so that was a nightmare for my hair I had to cut 1 inch off . The water park was fun. It was just me and my husband . The water coaster one of their main attractions was closed which sucked. And It was disappointing that they didn't have a swimming pool(standard size)
Not a lot of adult activities we don't have kids so the main floor of the water park was kinda annoying. They advertise a work-out facility but we asked about it and its in town that is miles away not very convenient. We had all inclusive so the crash landing bar was cool, But so many exclusions with the all inclusive it seemed anything healthy was not included you could have a whole pizza but not an apple? Or a salad Just pretzels/foot longs a lot of junk Also so many restrictions on time after 9:00 no more food even though the places your allowed to eat at are still serving food. the Staff at the bar was very rude, My husband and I sat down, never was talked to but was looked at a lot. IT seemed they catered to the previous alcoholics.We attempted to get drinks a couple times finally we got up and then she said just a minute but we left.And told a Man at the buffet the host that we wanted a complaint made to the manager.Its a nice place and with the special we had affordable.The fireplace was nice in the room kinda tricky. Two Light bulbs were out in our room. And the TV was not only and old TUBE TV. This is 2008 wheres the flat screen even your local hospital has them. out of the 10 channels 2 were frozen on the same image for 2 days but the sound kept going to different programming weird?Any ways It was nice just
Bring Conditioner & Your own towels! Its nice for families just not a honeymoon getaway .THE OMELET CHEF WAS AWESOME VERY GOOD COOKING !!!

• Liked — the Crab Legs
  • Disliked — No pool,no exercise facility burnt out lightbulbs, unfriendly bar staff.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tyiz
Lakeville Mn
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2008

Our initial impression was not good as the reservations manager did not return our three calls to help us with a reservation problem.

The resort was clean and neat, and the staff friendly.

We were very dissapointed that the water coaster was unoperational for the three days that we stayed after being promised that it would be working on our 2nd day. We also found the water and air temperature to be way too cold.

• Liked — freindly staff
  • Disliked — cold water temp
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

BRAZIL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2008

I stayed with my husband at chula vista on oct,2008. it was great! The room was very nice and clean. They have a wonderful indoor waterpark with an undergroud passage to the hotel, many fine restaurants and gift shops. The staff was very nice and friendly. They have a hot tub outside with a heated deck and a fire place near by that´s just wonderful. I certainly hope to go back again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Cedarburg, WI USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2008

Just stayed the past weekend in a 3-BR Condo. Very nice. If you are staying in one their condos, remember to bring the following if you plan to use the 'fully stocked' kitchen.
Paper towels
Garbage bags
coffee pot (if 4 cup isn't large enough for you group)
Plates, cups, bowls, etc (settings for 8 provided)

• Liked — Location - Right on the Wisconsin River
  • Disliked — Hallway noise - door silencers would go a long way
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Polkaholic
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

I surprised my husband and 2 year old daughter by taking them on a much needed 3 night getaway. We are from Chicago and they had no idea where we were going. Neither one of us had ever been to the Dells and I heard of the Chula Vista from a friend. My husband was very surprised and we had a wonderful time. We went when they were offering the $99.00 a night all inclusive. It included the room and ALL the drinks(adult beverages!) , food, and waterpark, for my husband, daughter and I.
We had such a wonderful time that we have been going to the Chula vista website every few weeks to see when they offer that great deal again. We are going back in Nov. because they have the same deal for Oct and Nov. The price went up, it is $150 a night for the three of us but I still feel it is so.o.o.o... worth it!!! I was always one of those people who prided myself in the fact that I NEVER had been to the Dells, I thought it was too cheesy for me, I was wrong, maybe the Dells is cheesy but the Chula Vista is not!!!

• Liked — The great value and indoor waterpark
  • Disliked — The old hotel room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MissyChicago
Minneapolis
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2008

I was just at the Chula Vista Resort for my brothers wedding. His fiance's family is good friends with the owners so I assumed we would be treated a little better than they normally would. This however was not the case. We arrived on Oct. 9 and stayed till the 12th. On our first day we got to check in early(probably the only accomadating thing to happen to us all weekend). We stayed in the condos which where extremely nice with beautiful views of the river and woods. Day one was not that bad. The rooms were nice and the indoor waterpark was a blast. On day two one of my brothers tried checking into his room early. He was told it was not possible till 4. He asked another front desk person and they said they could get him in early but in the old hotels. This was unexceptable cause he paid for the newer ones. Finally he talked to a third person and they got him in right away. Three hours before the supposed 4pm check in time. The night before the wedding some of my family and I went to the hotel bar for some drinks. Most of the bartenders were rude, not smiling and seemed to dread every part of there job. We drank till close and had a good time besides the service. We ended up going back to our rooms and grabbed a bottle of wine and took it to the river walk area behind the condos. Not doing anything wrong a security guard stopped my brother and accused him of "stealing Chula Vista property". He claimed he stole the bottle of wine from the bar and proceded to inform us of the over 1500 video cameras they had. My brother asked if they had video of him stealing the wine and the guard responded with "I didnt say we did". We asked for a manager thats when he flashed his badge and stated "check out the stripes check out the stripes. I am the manager". We proceded to say if he doesnt have any proof and isnt going to do anything but accuse us we were going to leave and let hotel managment know about this incident. He let us go and didnt have much else to say. On Saturday the day of the wedding we encountered more problems. The wedding started at 3 and more family was arriving that day. With check in time not till 4 we had lots of family not allowed to check in early. We obviously argued that the wedding is through the hotel and the guest need to get into rooms to get ready so after all that friends and family were allowed in to their rooms. The wedding went well and the reception went off without a hitch. (Staff at the wedding
/reception were the only good service we recieved all weekend). On our last day we wanted to grab some lunch and watch some football. The first bartender asked us if we would like drinks. We declined but asked for menus. We never got them from him we had to wait for the second bartender. She got us our menus about 6 minutes later. Might I remind you this is the bar and I can see the menus about 5 feet away. She asked us if we were ready and we asked what the soup of the day is. She responded with "Im not sure I have not been over there yet" then continued to just stare at us. I then asked her if she could please find out. Her response"I guess". This was the attitude my family and I got all weekend. No employees seemed happy. None obviously liked their jobs and pulling teeth would be a lot easier then to get this staff to try and accomidate you and make you feel welcome.

• Liked — Rooms were nice. Local scenery was beautiful.
  • Disliked — The staff/employees seem to hate there jobs and were the least accomidating staff Ive ever seen.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)