“Nice get away for the family”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #43 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Eagle River, Wisconsin
“Nice get away for the family”
Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

Spent 1 night here first time. Kids enjoyed water park and arcade. Room was clean and this resort was cheaper than the other large water parks in the area. Thanks for a great night away from home. We will be back

• Stayed October 2013
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
WiGuy35,

We appreciate you selecting Chula Vista for your quick journey away from home and that you had such a great time.
We know you have a number of choices and thank you for selecting us. Have a great fall season and we will see you again soon.

Dan Hoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (447)
  • Turkish first
Minneapo
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We arrived Thursday afternoon and were immediate checked in by very friendly staff at the Condo front desk. When we arrived at our room however, we realized we were the only room available on the entire floor as the rest of that floor was being painted. The smell of paint was very strong, not only in the hallway but also in our room. We called down to the front desk and were told that they would be happy to move us to a different room, but only the supervisor could do so and she was currently occupied but would call us back shortly. After 30 minutes and no call back, we called down again and were told that the supervisor was still busy, then asked to wait on hold, after another 15 minutes we decided to go and wait in person at the front desk.

When we got to the front desk, there was no one in line and four employees behind the desk. We asked for the manager, who promptly identified herself and began changing our room. She apologized for things taking so long, but there had been an "important" guest at the counter when I called and she needed to help him. No upgrades or food comps were offered and when I asked about cancelling the manager said she would gladly do so but we would be charged a $50.00 fee, at which point we walked away to our new room.

Our new room was tidy and did not smell of paint, there was mold in the bathroom and the coffee machine didn’t work, but we let those slide.

The waterpark was a blast, our daughter had a wonderful time in the infant area and the rest of the waterpark looked like a lot of fun as well. Unfortunately we were only there for one night and wanted to make the most of it by going to the waterpark in the morning as well. We didn’t realize that the waterpark doesn’t open until late morning (I think 10am) until we walked the couple blocks to get to the park, needless to say our daughter was pretty sad about that.

We thought that the restaurant staff was very friendly, enjoyed the food we ordered and thought there was a really good beer selection.

1 Thank Patrick H
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Patrick H,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay with us. I do apologize that you had some issues with your accommodations these have been given to the appropiate manager.
We appreciate you being with us and we hope that you will consider us again on your next journey to the Wisconsin Dells.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 23, 2013

This place was great. I am glad I selected the hotel as it was adjacent to the water park and the hot springs which may it so convenience to hit either one without actually going outside in the elements. I also loved the location and the traditional Dells Strip looked like a Ghost Town in off peak season and this location disguised that element for us.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rhea2006
Rhea 2006,

Great to have you with us on your recent journey to the Dells. It was great to see that you had a wonderful time and you enjoyed the scenic views. We do hope that you can be with us again in the near future and we will be sure to keep you updated on future promotions.

Chesterton, Indiana, United States
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was our first trip to Wisconsin Dells and to Chula Vista Resorts (CVR). We selected CVR over other resorts due to the price of our room. We booked a Fairway Loft Villa for four adults and 2 children and 1 infant.

Upon arrival we discovered that the accomadations in the resort were spread apart. We were staying by the golf course and the only way for us to get to the indoor waterpark was to either walk a long way outside (too cold to do in October) or to take a shuttle which is painfull with three kids, a stroller, beach bag etc... It would of been great if CVR had a map of where your room is in respect to other things on their website. Since we wanted quick access to the waterpark (our only reason for being there) we asked to be moved closer. They only had one room available (1 2BR Condo) for $149 more per night. We decided to eat this cost and moved our room.

The room was spectacular. It was a home away from home. The waterpark was very enjoyable as well and this is where the positive comments run dry....

Upon checkout, I noticed that there were two fee's on our room bill; A "Green Initiative" fee of $4 and a Wisconsin Dells Resort fee of $19. I wa confused and asked for an explanation. The lady at the front desk was clueless so I had to talk to the manager.

She explained that the $4 fee was to help convert light bulbs to more energy efficient ones. I was flabergasted that my $700 room bill was not enough to help CVR buy light bulbs. She said it was an optional fee but its not very optional when they just add it to your bill without asking.

The second fee of $19 was a fee charged by the Dells to CVR for having a resort there...At least that's how it was explained to me. I again was flabergasted that I, the consumer, who already paid taxes to the Dells and $700 to CVR would be paying for a fee to the Dells so CVR could operate there. After a long session with the manager, she waived the fees.

We tried to enjoy the Market Place Buffet on our way out but it was closed...We had planned this the night before and had talked to them about their hours, prices etc... However, due to low occupancy they were not open. Had I accidentally bought to all inclusive package with them I would of been out of a meal as well.

Room Tip: Before you book understand that not all the rooms are connected to the indoor water park.
2 Thank Mehmet A
Crystal Lake, Illinois
Reviewed October 14, 2013

First a disclaimer. I did not pay for our stay here since it was an awards trip with the company I represent. That being said, my review would have been the same had I footed the bill.

We stayed the weekend of Oct 4-6 in a Jr Suite. It was adequate for our family of 4. (Kids age 4 and 15 months.) The room had all the necessities, mini fridge, coffee maker, TV, etc. I've slept on more comfortable beds, but they were adequate. The room also had a nice couch to unwind and relax.

We did eat at the breakfast buffet one morning and thought it was excellent and an outstanding value. It had every breakfast food you can imagine. Cook to order omelets, pancakes, eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, fresh fruit and much more! Our server was excellent as well.

We got to experience the indoor water park, and I was very impressed. It is clean, and well staffed with lifeguards and other helpful employees. It has an abundance of really cool water slides and an indoor water roller coaster. My only regret is that we didn't get to spend more time there. Our kids are a little young, so they only can go on limited attractions there.

My only suggestion is that they should inform you that there is an underground tunnel between the hotel and the water park. We had to discover that on our own. Really good to know when it's cold outside! Parking also gets a bit hard to find near your room on busy nights.

Overall we had a great time and will visit again in the future.

1 Thank Tahoekid629
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Tahoekid629,

Great to have you with us and congratulations on receiving a weekend getaway with your family from your company. I was glad to see that you and your family had a wonderful time during your fall visit. I do hope that we may be of service to you again in the future.
Thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Macomb, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Our family which consists of 2 adults (ages 31-35) and 6 kids (ages 4-9) stayed at Chula Vista Resort Oct 10-13th. We were going to stay at Mt Olympus or another big water park in the Dell's for our vacation but decided not to because of the reviews on this web site. This is the first time I have ever left a review on staying at any hotel or vacation home but really felt I need to so I can help out any other family wanting to find the perfect place to stay. The cleanliness of our Vista Loft #4722 was EXCELLENT. I moved all the furniture before leaving to make sure we didn't leave behind anything and there was nothing underneath the furniture. In ALL hotel's I have stayed at I have found hair, wrappers, garbage, etc. So that really impressed me how they are very clean and orderly here. The room was PERFECT for us with the bunk beds in the loft area. The indoor water park was a blast for all 4 of our boy's. The slides were awesome inside also. We went off season so the outdoor waterpark was closed so our rating is based on inside waterpark only. We will definitely come back here and stay. The only down side is the first day we arrived we had a woman from Chula Vista call us 3 times on our cell inviting us to attend a Time Share event and get a $100 dinner voucher. It was kind of annoying she called that many times but after the 3rd call she must have got the point that we are not interested. EVERYONE at the Resort was VERY friendly and went out of their way to welcome us. The Fresh Market buffet on Friday evening wasn't too great of a selection in my opinion especially for $18 per adult and $10 per child. We decided to go to Famous Dave's downtown which was great. The Chula Vista is a very short distance to downtown Dell's and was very quiet, peaceful and relaxing. There were 3 wedding's going on the weekend we stayed and we didn't hear a peep out of any other guests at night...was very quiet. With all this said....we will definitely stay here again and I would highly recommend this resort to anyone!

1 Thank Aimee C
AimeeC,

Thank you so much for being with us on your recent journey to Chula Vista and the Dells.
Glad to see that the Loft Villa worked well for you and your family. We do appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback for we do share these with our team members.
We look forward to being of service to you again soon and will keep you updated on future promotions. Have safe travels.

Park City, Illinois
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We have stayed twice in the last few years. We have always found the condos to be clean and just perfect. The staff has always been friendly and helpful. We have stayed at other large resorts and have not been as happy. The indoor water park is clean and lots of fun. I can not coment on the out door because we useally go in mid September. The market buffet we have always enjoyed
and we even go there when we stay at other resorts. I am sure you can find fault at any large resort but we have always enjoyed our stay here.

TWM471,

It was great to be of service to you again and thank you for being back with us this fall.
Thank you for taking the time to drop a note and give us feedback on your stay, I was gald to see that you had a memorable time.
We look forward to being of service to you again on your next journey to the Dells. Have a great fall season.