“One of the better results in Wisconsin Dells. Overall rating... Nice.”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #52 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed July 10, 2008

The resort is very nice, however, if it is going to maintain this rating, they must continue to work on room cleanliness. We booked through a private owner a one bedroom condo. Upon arrival, we actually had a Jr. Suite. We were given a discount on our stay based upon this discrepancy. When entering unit 2207, the rugs were HEAVILY STAINED. After seeing various hotel reports on television, the stains made my skin crawl. That night when preparing for bed, I pulled the bed spread back, and there was another very large stain. I pulled the bed spread off the bed and called the front desk. I received the new bed spread the next morning. In the middle of the night, our air conditioner went out. We notified the maintenance staff, who said the unit needed servicing. We were moved to an identical room which was nicely cleaned.(unit 2647) I appreciated the staff's courtesy. This really helped.

We had 2 twelve year olds, and one 15 year old with us who really enjoyed the water slides. The overall waterpark was excellent. The lifeguards were very attentive in the pool areas, but the lifeguards in the indoor waterpark were less attentive.
I only say this because I'm not a swimmer, and after coming down one of the waterslides, my raft ended up on top of my head as I sat at the bottom of the pool. I guess I was a little to adventurous. The lifeguard was immediately relieved after my incident, and I stuck with sitting in the hot tub and wave pool for the remainder of the trip. My family however continued to splish and splash!

The restaurant's buffet was okay. A little over priced for the adults. The waterpark bar areas were great!!! This resort from my tour of the town was the best resort in the area.

I would visit the resort again, however I would book the two bedroom condo instead of the Jr. Suite which is pretty much a typical hotel room.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank THEGOODTWIN
There are newer reviews for Chula Vista Resort

Reviewed July 8, 2008

We stayed 3 nights the week of June 23. We stayed in the new golf condos. For the price I expected a bit more. My family is long time visitors of this resort - dating back many many years. I remember my own experiences as a child with many activities to join. The Chula TV mentioned some bonfires and other activities but the time was left blank.
The biggest disappointment was the SPA. I booked our appointments 2 weeks in advance and downloaded a price list. When our services were complete and I was paying I noticed a HUGE price increase. At least 30%. I mentioned something to the cashier who said oh we raised our prices about a month ago. Well you should have updated the website because now I felt cheated.
The woman who did my facial spilled aromatherpy oil on my face and it burned like you would not believe. It was her first day on the job so I said nothing.
I have stayed at some very nice resorts with spa services. This is one area they need to improve on or don't tout it on your website.

Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank KABEEDEE
Reviewed July 7, 2008

I've been to the Dells at least a dozen times and have stayed at all types of places from the cheapest motel to the mega resorts like the Wilderness and have loved them all. I was unsure what to expect at Chula Vista after reading conflicting reviews here, but I must say that we were pleasantly surprised.

I got a great rate on hotels.com for the 4th of July weekend of $155 for a two bedroom with sofa pullout, micro, and fridge. The room was in the older section of the resort and was clean and comfortable. My family was staying in the condo section in a 3 bedroom condo that was FABULOUS! Easily slept the 17 people with room to spare. If going again, would probably try and get a room there as it was really updated compared to our room.

As for the waterparks, they are smaller than the mega resorts but are still tons of fun. I honestly don't see how people can get bored here. We had a wide range of age groups with us and we all had a blast. There are 2 waterparks, sand volleyball court, lazy river for babies(1 ft deep), a water basketball area, small wave pool, 30 person jacuzzi with a view of the river, nature trails, and much more.

Our experience with customer service was exemplary! An issue arose when we had booked a cabana and arrived to find they had overbooked. We saw empty cabanas and wanted ours as we had already paid and arrived first. They tried to give us our money back but the issue was we had babies with us that could not be in the sun all day and we really needed the cabana. We talked to the manager and everything was solved in record time and we received complimentary items that really appeased the entire group ( 22 of us in all).

We really enjoyed our stay at the Chula Vista and would do it again and again so long as the price is right. To me, it's not a mega resort so know what to expect. If you just want a room, stay in the older section. If you want a more posh room, stay in the condo section. We walked from one end of the resort to the other and never felt we walked too far; there isn't a need for a shuttle but if you need one, just ask...they'll pick you up in a golf cart and take you where you need to go. If staying in the condo section and you want to save some money, bring your own food and cook there. Try the all-inclusive if you love to drink (they are very tasty and addictive) otherwise, skip it.

In closing, try the Chula Vista next time you're in the Dells for a great family vacation with all the perks. You'll save money compared to staying at the overcrowded mega resorts and still have money left over to see the sites and visit the parks.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Carm&Rico
Reviewed July 6, 2008

We stayed at the Dells for two nights in a Two bedroom condo. Our group consisted of my family- self, spouse, nearly 16 year old son, 10 year old son, and 9 year old daughter who traveled from Kentucky that day; and my parents who traveled from north western Wisconsin. We booked the stay in April, and found it to be very reasonably priced. When we arrived, the staff was very accommodating, the checking in went smoothly, and there were many carts available to take luggage to the room. Upon first entering the room, I would have to say that my reaction was "wow!" It was very well appointed, and beautifully decorated. We later found a picture of a room that was almost identical to the one we were in that was used in a Chula Vista brochure. I wasn't sure that there would be two complete bedrooms in the room from the description on the net. When we arrived I found that there were not only two complete bedrooms (with doors) but also two baths and a giant jacuzzi tub in the rear of the suite. We did not make use of it, but it was tempting. I believe we could have used it for additional sleeping space. There were two tables- one a small hightop near the windows with a view of the river and one larger in the center of the room. AND there was a complete kitchen. I was surprised by it, and since we had not chosen the all inclusive package, we were pleased to be able to run to Wal-Mart and pick up breakfast and lunch food. We dined at the Market Fresh Buffet and the Sports bar behind the wave pool. Both meals were excellent. I recommend the Sports bar for their 10 oz. burgers.

We mainly chose to make use of the indoor water park, which I think was a lot of fun. We really enjoyed the lazy river, which circles a large part of the park. There were all kinds of choices to make just inside: a set of 3 smaller slides with much spray, rain, and dousing before you get there, a giant dump bucket, which dumps every 9 minutes (Dad timed it), a somewhat deeper pool, with the croc walk and water basketball (I believe that pool was from 3.5 to 4 ft deep), a very shallow baby area (which we did not use, but looked like a lot of fun for the littlest ones), and then upstairs- up many many stairs, there were the three slides that go outside the building and exit inside on one end of the lazy river, AND then two more slides, one for body sliding with a sharp drop at the end, and the other with mats that allowed you to race against a friend. What's more, there was still the roller coaster. We weenied out on that one too, and did not attempt it. But, considering that we visited the indoor park three different times with three children, and were still able to stay occupied for a long time. Oh, I forgot the best part- the whirlpool. It was wonderful. I almost didn't get out. It is big enough for 20 people, and for a while I had most of it to myself. Heaven! Anyway, there was nothing to complain about in the water park options, and we did not even have a chance to use the outdoor park or the wave pool.

Service was good. There are many individuals from other countries who work there, and it was a pleasant experience. We had two concerns- one was that they had shorted us one bracelet for out group, which was quickly fixed. The other involved a carpet tack that was sticking out and caused a small injury- and when informed of it, they sent someone right up to fix it.

It seems that many reviewers are hard to please. We were on one end of the complex, and walked to the Spa de Sol and the restraurants - and it was a little bit of a walk. It's a big place. For it to have as much as it does, there is going to be a little bit of sprawl. We had no problem finding the places we were heading, and the walk was pleasant- paved, flowered, and interesting. When we were unclear of a location, the staff was very happy to help us.

I would have stayed another week if I could have. The only negative was that I believe that housekeeping could pay closer attention to a few areas- carpet cleaning and careful sweeping. At the foot of the beds they seemed to miss some spots.

Otherwise, a beautiful place and a wonderful stay. I recommend the warm towels at the water park, pedicure at the Spa de Sol, and more days.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank boydschpsych
Reviewed June 30, 2008

We stayed for 3 nights. 2 adults and 2 12 year olds. The resort was beautiful, lots of trees-not all the commercial stuff. The breakfast buffet was fantastic! There is a wavepool in the back right next to the Wisconsin River, pool is small but then no need to worry-only 3 feet deep when the waves aren't running. Outdoor park only had 3 different choices of slides, no waiting but lots for little kids to do. The indoor park was the best I've been to ever. Lots of fun, a bit noisy as others have mentioned-but who cares? I don't know how many slides were inside, they were all great. The gift shops at the resort all had quality items for sale, not like the stores in downtown Dells. The rooms were nice but the beds were not very comfy and the pillows were tiny. The towels were on the small side and getting thin. The air conditioner in our room worked real good. Everything was clean and the staff was all very nice.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 15, 2008

UHHH...just don't go. So many problems when we went here in winter. We had a very large group with us...8 adults with 6 kids. Ages ranged from 4 months to 8 years old. When we first arrived, we could not find a parking spot.....and we went during a bad winter snowstorm. We couldn't see around corners...wasn't plowed very well. Parking was an issue the entire weekend. Access to front lobby via parking lots was tough with other cars parked there. Hard to unload with many kids and other people trying to unload in the same place. Parking just sucks.
Then we realized how difficult the elevator was. 1 elevator to take you from waterpark to other floors????? WHAT????????? If you were at the waterpark with a stroller and had to get up to the 2nd floor....good luck. You'll be waiting a long time!!!!!
Then our dinner at the restaurant was just mediocur. We didn't know that Friday night buffet was 25.00/person. I decided to get the fish fry off of the menu and the waitress tried to talk me out of it. Of course because my dinner was only 8.95!!! Every other person, child ate off of the buffet. NO where was it posted the price of the buffet. Never thought a buffet would be that expensive for a family meal. NOT WORTH IT!!! Then our waitress brought our drinks when we were finished with our food. We had to ask her for our drinks.. We did not like the waterpark. The majority of our kids were little and played in the kiddie play area. That area is nice and activies are good, it's just there's no where to sit!!! I had two young babies with me and I had no where to put the stroller. We had the hardest time trying to put our stuff anywhere much less find any chairs. there are no cabanas that you can rent like some of the other places. I just can't say enough negative things about this place. We have stayed at other resorts like Great Wolf, the Wilderness and the Kalahari and this place I feel is well below all of them.
Unless we receive a fantastic deal, it would take me a lot to get back there again. I even put in a complaint via email to this place, and I never heard anything. I'll never go back and I hope you don't either.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 15, 2008

We just returned from a 2 night, three day stay at the Chula Vista. It was a horrible experience. It began when we first arrived. Since there were 4 adults and 4 children,we chose the $12000.00 all inclusive package. Upon check in, our room was ready early (around 2), which was a nice suprise and we immediately headed for the water park.

Room- The room was extremely far away from everything, and would have been at least a 15 minute walk. We had no idea when booking this room, and the only reason that we booked it is because it was the only room that could hold 8 people. It would have been nice if the online website showed you that you would be away from everything. The room also had a kitchen area, so I would save money and cook your own food in the room. The hotel did offer a free shuttle, but it took anywhere from 15-20 minutes to pick you up.

The room also had light issues. We had 3 lightbulbs out upon our arrival that all needed to be replaced. The lights were ridiculous. You had to turn on a light by the door in order to turn on another light on the opposite end of the room.

The air conditioning was beyond horrid. The fan would come on everytime the air would and it sounded like tornado winds. There was not any sleep happening.

Bring your own pillow also, unless you like sleeping on something with the consistency of a newspaper.

Also, they must be joking with their 1 bathroom for 8 people. HUGE problem.

Check-In - After checking in, and going to the water parka, around 6, we all were ready for a snack so headed to the indoor water park eating area. We were then informed that we did not have the all inclusive package bracelets. We then walked to registration where they informed us that because we checked in early, and the all inclusive package doesn't start until 4-they gave us some other one day pass bracelets. This once was never mentioned to us upon check in. They then informed us that all 8 of us would have to come to the registration desk so that they could see us and put our bracelets on us. We then had to find the kids in the water park, take the stupid shuttle back, get dressed and go to registration.

Customer Sevice- was horrible. The manager we dealt with was extremely rude, and couldn't have cared less. We explained our frustration with the room being so far, and with the fact of the mix-up with the bracelets. Her response was that everything is posted online and we should have read the fine print. That is the response she kept repeating. Basically, she told us we were stupid idiots and she didn't want to/need to help us. She was even willing to give us a full refund-no questions asked. I can assume that many other guests have been dissatisfied and the hotel expects it, therefor, they have some crap speech prepared about-everything is online and you need to read the fine print.

All- Inclusive- The food and drinks were the only good part about the trip. There was not a selection of where to eat. There was one restaurant and a fast food place by the pool, but it was still good. The restaurant was a buffet. The crab legs and garlic mashed potatoes were my favorite. Also, if you go to Sangria Maria's in the pool-order a Blue Oasis-it is great! All the food places close at 10:00 P.M. so I suggest bringing some extra snacks to eat. They won't let you bring any food back to your room so basically if you get hungry-you are screwed. Room service is also not included

Pool-I should have stayed home in my own for what they offered. There was not a lot to do and not many attractions. Even the kids were bored after an hour. The inside was so tiny. They had 2 small areas for kids. 1 roller coaster ride, 5 waterslides and a small area to play water basketball. They also had a lazy river.

The outside was even worse with 4 waterslides, and an area for kids. On the opposite side of the hotel, they had a small wave pool, but it was only 3 feet deep.

The pool offered little or no excitement, was extremely small and did not have a lot to do.

My Advice: Choose somewhere different, and you will have a good vacation. IT you choose the Chula Vista-expect to be disappointed and not satisfied.

When we went to the Dells 3 years ago, it was fantastic at the Kalahari-with tons to do. I also heard through friends that the Wilderness and Noah's Ark are great with lots to do.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled with family