“NO kids in hot tub!”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #52 of 75 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed at a Best Western but had passes to Chula Vista as part of a promotion, so I know nothing about the accomodations. The indoor waterpark was pretty crowded and one thing that my husband and I noticed was the amount of little kids in the hot tub -so many, in fact, that adults couldn't use it. I mean, there were kids taking up all the seats, kids sitting on the stairs so people couldn't easliy get in or out - you get the idea.With all the areas there that are designed for children, I find it unacceptable for kids of any age to hang out in the hot tub. I realize this is partly the fault of the parents, who might not realize or just plain do not care that they are allowing their children to be disrespectful, but I firmly believe there chould be some rule changes and the lifeguards should enforce them.

Julie, IL

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Julie S
There are newer reviews for Chula Vista Resort

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We're club members and have stayed with our entire extended family over the past four years. However, this year (July 22 through July 26, 2013) we've noticed a great decline in the cleanliness of the rooms, the furniture was worn and in need of replacement. We ate at the Market Fresh Buffet and the food was cold, the salad and fruit bar was unappealing (strawberry, pineapple pieces, and oranges), for the 3 meals that we did eat there. Mind you the buffet at this place use to be spectacular, but a change in the Head Chef has made this less than sub-par at top tier pricing. By the end of our stay we were desperate for a better quality of food and we were referred to Big Moes, which is a bar across the parking lot with better quality of food than the overpriced buffet. Chula Vista needs to pay attention to the details or we'll be taking our business and much needed quality vacation stays to a better class of resort.

Room Tip: Book early and ask for a special cleaning of your room prior to check in
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DCB_Jones
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2013

DCB_Jones,

Thank you for taking the time to connect with me it was a pleasure speaking with you regarding your concerns and feedback.
Your comments are appreciated and have been addressed wtih the appropiate managers.
We will look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Chula Vista is just OK. The rooms are up to date but not very clean. They also do not make up the rooms daily. The villa we had only had one bathroom & no mirror in the entire room. The villa was far away from the main part of chula vista so we had to drive over to go back & forth to the water park. The water park was cheesey & there was not many slides. Honestly it is a nice place but not for the price they charge. The service inside the howlers bar & grill was slow & we were the only ones there during the dinner hour. We were invited to preview their timeshare meeting but honestly it was not worth it.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I made reservatons for our baseball team to stay at this resort during our tournament. The rooms were ok however, our room smelled really bad, I complained to the desk, had to walk down the 4 flights because when you called down they don't answer the phone and the elavators are small and slow as heck. We waited on average 7-8 minutes for an elavator so if you doint have a lot of stuff then it is better to walk the stairs. Also, one of our famiies were locked out of their room for hours and he is handicapped, had to kep going back and forth to front desk for help. They insisted that his key was fine,He had the housekeepers trying to get in and they couldnt, even with their master key, The only person that could access it was the security guard and he didnt respond for the 20 minutes that he waited before leaving to go to the baseball game. It happened twice, finally they changed the battery pack on the door and it worked But the front desk clerk was rude to both He and i about it. The light on the outside of building didnt work and you couldnt see and there was a curb there, making it very dangerous at night. Also, the doors on the outside of the bldgs didn't lock at night which made security an issue as well. Had a family with a toilet that leaked, another family with a toilet that overflowed, two families that had lights on the balcony burned out, there is no light near the shower making it dark in the shower. I could go on and on.. Also, they put a brochure in the room for different restaurants on their premises and Luigi's, I believe it was called, said they delivered to your room, but when I called they said, No they wouldnt until after 4 but our kids needed to eat before the game so we had to go out to town and get them food or go all the way to the pool and ordr it and wait 30 minutes for it, couldn even order over the phone.. and the pool was VERY crowded too..

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank bam210
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We visited Chula Vista last spring. We were there for 3 nights, although we would have been satisfied with only 2. The place is smaller than most (certainly not the size of Kalahari or The Wilderness), so by the second day we were a bit bored. I can not express how it would be during the summer though, as we did not get to enjoy the outside amenities. I would assume there is more to do, and the other days may not seem as boring. The inside water park was nice, clean, and not too crowded...it was just on the small side, which is why we felt bored on the second day. The rooms are very clean, service is good, and the rates were reasonable during our time of stay. It's not a place that we would frequent in the cooler months, but may be a place we would try again in the summer in order to enjoy the outdoor areas.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

Jenu,

We appreciate you being with us last spring and hope your summer has been going well.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and happy to see you enjoyed your stay.
I do hope that we can be of service to you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

I think this place is falsely advertised. Upon my arrival we were ushered into our room in building three and met with a bedspread and pillows that had white stains all over it. The room had a musty smell and when my husband pulled the pullout couch to sleep he found numerous toys in it. When I called down for a change of room they were nice about trying to accomodate us but apparently they didn't have anything a available. I woke up the next morning with a swollen bite on my hand and knew we couldn't spend another night in that room. We were eventually moved to a condo which was much better however their service left much to be desired.

As for the "water parks " the indoor and lazy pool was ok but the outdoor park was a huge apology.

One last unfortunate event that took place during our stay is that I was walking down the hall towards an elevator with my four year old daughter and as the doors were closing the occupants of the elevator screamed "Bye N*gger". While I fully understand that Chula Vista is not responsible for the actions of their guests, it was just unfortunate and compounded with every thing else made our stay even worse.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank Chiaku
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Just got back from spending 4 days/3 nights at Chula Vista. We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo that was never cleaned while we were there. We had to call for towels daily. The kitchen is nice, there weren't any pans that we could cook with, so we went and bought some at Walmart to be able to make food for the 3 kids with us.

The indoor water park was over chlorinated to the point that 2 5 year olds and a 2 year old couldn't breather after being in there for 20 minutes. The outdoor park was ok, no real spot for the kids to just swim and enjoy the water. The activity pool was great, just too many kids running and jumping in to let 5 year old boys swim.

Food was not a part of our trip here, we chose to cook our own meals, and I am glad that we did that.

The only saving grace was the 2 rounds of golf we played. The staff at the golf course we amazing, courteous and overall nice.

I wish my entire trip revolved around golf, and the staff there.

I wouldn't book another stay at Chula Vista, I would rather go to Wilderness where I have stayed in the past, better overall experience there.

I feel duped for coming here a second year in a row!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

ChiTownGreek,

Thank you for being with us on your recent getaway, we appreciate the feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your visit for I know how dissappointign this can be.
The condos are privately owned and we maintain the specified utensils and cookware in the units. We will take your comments for future planning.
In addition I wil be sure to pass along your comments to the Cold Water Canyon golf course your positive comments on the staff.
Have safe travels,