“Average”

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“Average”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Overall we just had an average stay. We stayed in a studio condo room and it was a pretty nice room other than the furniture needs some major updating. The beds were horrible and sunken in..my back still hurts from them. The room also had a weird smell to it that I can't describe. I would also recommend asking that your room is close to the waterpark and restaurants. Our room was literally across the entire resort from all activities. At one point we even drove down to the other side of the resort just so we didn't have to walk a mile to eat. We didn't use the water park as it was geared more for kids. I probably wouldn't stay here again unless I knew they did some remodeling.

• Stayed October 2012
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
MDS0508,

We appreciate you beig with us on your recent visit to the Dells. I am sorry that we did not fully meet your expectations. We are in the process of reviewing options on our accommodations and we will be sure to keep you updated on our progress. Have safe future travels and we hope to see you soon.

Dan Hoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Turkish first
Clintonville, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed in the Presidential Suite on October 17th and 18th. We got an excellent deal for only $74.19 a night. The hotel is very nice however the rooms really need to be updated. It rained the day before we got there and for the entire two days we were there. I realized this is a lot of rain however we were on the top floor and the ceiling had a leak. Also the fireplace orfaces needed a good cleaning. The flame was so low you could barely see it. It did have 3 TV's but these were also very old.
All in all we did get what we paid for, however I would never stay here if I had to pay full price!

Room Tip: Be sure if we stay during the winter months that you are in a room that is attached to the water par...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tina N,

We appreciate you taking the time to provide us feedback it is useful to our planning and managers.
I am glad you had an enjoyable time with us and we will keep you updated on the progress of our accommodations.
We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed October 31, 2012

My boyfriend and I receiced free tickets to the water park at Chula Vista with a deal we had on a hotel. We are in our late 20's and have been to many waterparks. When we first walked in, I thought it was small and had my doubts, but the way the indoor waterpark is set up makes it small but mighty. The 5 full sized waterslides and water coaster were as thrilling as most of the waterslides I have been on in Illinois and Indiana. The lazy river was nice, except they allow children to play in it without a tube. The major problems we encountered were the excessive loud noises, and children in the lazy river with no tubes. The other thing was the smell of chlorine was so strong it dried our sinuses. Our experience, overall was a positive one. We would reccommend it as part of the Atlantis stay package.

Minneapolis
Reviewed October 29, 2012

I wasn't going to write a review about our recent stay at Chula Vista, because I left my comments with the hotel and thought I would just talk it over with hotel management. But, they never responded, so they've confirmed what I thought of their service - subpar. Upon check-in, we were given a 2-bedroom condo that had not been cleaned. The condo was a mess, including human waste still in the toilet. We immediately called the front desk and asked for a new (clean) room. The front desk was very short and rude about our situation. They kept saying they were very busy and they didn't have time to move us to a new room. This is completely unacceptable and a horrible way to welcome someone to your property. Once we did get a new room, it was very clean and overall a very nice place.

We did have other issues with our stay:
- We traveled with our young children and decided to eat at the hotel restaurant so we could get our kids to bed at a reasonable hour. It took an hour and a half to get our food after originally being told it would be 20-30 mins. In addition, the order was wrong. What a total waste of time and money. The final kick was the food wasn't any good.
- Chula Vista needs adequate parking space. There were many cars parked in a mud lot. For paying $300+/night for a condo, this is unacceptable.
- Wi-fi was ridiculously slow (at best) and usually non-existent. If you're ever there for a conference, don't expect to get any word done.
- The Chula Vista has a 10:30AM check-out time, which is the earliest I've ever seen. Again, their front desk showed their lack of customer service as I called on Saturday evening to request a late check-out of one hour past check-out. I was told I needed to call back on Sunday morning to see if they'd be able to accommodate my request. I called again on Sunday morning and after almost begging with the front desk person she said we could have an extra hour, but that was it. I can't imagine there are a lot of people checking in on Sundays during the off-season. A simple request like this from a guest should be no problem for a hotel to accommodate.

Overall, the Chula Vista is a decent place. Their waterpark is nice and most of their employees are very pleasant. Our 2 bedroom condo was comfortable. Seeing how competitive the market is in the Dells, I can't really see us returning to this property.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
LondonWPR,

We appreciate the feedback on your recent stay, I am sorry that you encountered housekeeping and front desk issues these have been brought to the attention of our managers and supervisors.
I was gald to see that your accommodations were comfortable.
Again, thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We hope to be of service to you again in the future.

Central Wisconsin
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Assistant manager Carolyn made our check-in very easy and gave us an upgrade (for a fee) and early check-in. Our family suite in the condo section was lovely and clean, close to the elevator for water park activities. We ate at the bar one evening, and our waitress Jenny was very attentive to our family and made our wait for our food very easy. Chula Vista is out of town, but provides plenty to do for a weekend. Our grandchildren had a wonderful time in the water park.

Room Tip: The condo rooms are newer than the hotel rooms.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
English Teacher28,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on our team members Karloyn and Jenny. It is always good to see the grandchildren having a memorable experience with their grandparents.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Wisconsin
Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

We decided to go here based on all the great things they mentioned on their website including laser warfare which we knew would be a hit with our teenage son. After a day in the very loud and severely over-crowded water park my husband and I decided to have dinner at Kaminski's chop house while we sent the kids to laser tag. The food was excellent but we split one steak had no appetizers, I had one glass of wine while hubby drank water, and one potatoe side dish and the bill was $100 with tip. There was also a table of very loud obnoxious people at the table next to us which the host should have suggested they lower their voices in an establishment of this nature. It ruined the relaxing meal I was hoping to enjoy after the loud water park. After dinner we went to meet back with kids only to find out that they did not get to play laser tag as It was not open Fridays but they were told it would be on Saturday. On Saturday we called to find out the hours and were told that we would need 6 players or they wouldn't open it. Since there were only 4 they would not budge. They seemed very unwilling to work with me no matter what I suggested. I will never go back to chula vista again and will be sure to recommend the many more customer focused places in the dells area. One more issue was their horrible reservationists. They were abrasive and uninformative. Go elsewhere!

1 Thank TravelingSix
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
TravelingSix,

It is important for us to receive feedback, so thank you for taking the time to do so. I can understand your frustration when your son was not able to participate in the Laser Tag program for not having enough indivduals.. We never care to see disappointed family members, for this I apologize.
I do hope that you may be able to visit again sometime in the future so that we can erase any poor memories.

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Bolingbrook, Illinois, United States
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My family stayed at Chula Vista in August of this year. We stayed in a two bedroom condo and the room was gorgeous. It had so much space that I felt we could have our entire extended family come stay, too! The kitchen seemed well stocked with everything you would need. We didn't do much but cereal in the room, though, so I don't know if anything essential was missing.
I want to mention right away that if you're going to the Dells to visit the Dells, this may not be the right hotel for you. It's about 10-15 minutes out of town and the parking was not great at the resort. We had nights that we'd have to go get the luggage cart to bring all our stuff and sleeping kids into the resort, because we'd have to park so far away. (Plus our room was VERY far from the elevators.) Be prepared to do a lot of walking when you stay here.
The kids had fun in the indoor waterpark, but we were sad that we could never find an inner tube to ride the lazy river. My son and I walked the whole river twice trying to get one. They had several restaurants on site. The only one we ate at was the breakfast buffet. There is a lot of food to choose from on the buffet and I think the breakfast buffet was reasonably priced. (Dinner was high to me.)
The condo we were in had a hot tub in the living room, which the kids loved. They were allowed to take one bath in it. I'd personally rather see a washer and dryer than a hot tub, especially at a water resort. I don't want to spend the entire day at the water park and then get into a hot tub, but that could be just me.
Room was beautiful and I loved the fireplaces. We really did relax when in the room. I didn't notice any noise carry over from other rooms. I think staff and service was somewhat lacking. My husband went down to the front desk hoping for complimentary coffee and the only option was to buy from the Starbucks on site.

We would probably visit Chula Vista again, but only to stay there and have fun. My family visits the Dells at the end of every summer and have specific things that we try to get in. Chula Vista isn't the proper hotel for that kind of activity. You want to be at Chula Vista to stay and play.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Paula K
Paula K,

So glad you and your family were with us this August and the condo accommodations worked well for you.
We hope to see you again next summer and we will keep you updated on specials and promotions.
Thank you for your time and feedback.