“Nice hotel but lacks customer service”
Review of Chula Vista Resort

Chula Vista Resort
Ranked #41 of 73 Hotels in Wisconsin Dells
“Nice hotel but lacks customer service”
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We decided to take a trip to the dells before the kids go back to school. At the last minute ...being thur I called to see if they had a room avaliable sat to tues, I was told they are completely booked except for a room that may be avaliable under their promotional offer. I ask what it entails which im told is a 60 to 90 minute presentation for their club program. It was on a Sunday at 2:30 and we were offered a few other incentives. My wife and I decide to book it after the gentleman on the phone (which was great..explained everything clearly and very friendly) told me the room is avaliable. We arrived Saturday at 2:00 the room wasn't ready(check in is at 4) they offered to text me when the room was avaliable, which they did at 3:00. Check in was a breeze, no personality from the front desk staff it was like everyone was going through the motions(disappointing but happens). The room was nice everything very clean, we had a great view of the trees and the river. In my opinion it's worth paying for if you stay here. First day we go down to margaritas located right next to the wave pool. The wave pool is for young children very small waves and shallow which was great for my kids they loved it. My wife and I sat back and enjoyed a quite meal as the kids played in the water. The food was expensive for what we got and the quality, we asked for sweet and low. Our waiter came back with two packets of plain sugar and I was told that's all they have left......STRIKE 1 how about sir we ran out we have someone bringing down more from the hotel or we sent someone to get some from the hotel. We spent 3.00 for a tea that we could not be provided with sweet and low or something similar. Sunday we start with the breakfast buffet and it was well worth the price tag, after that we headed back to the wave pool and had a blast. It was time for our promotional appt in which we showed up at 2:30. We waited for about 20 minutes and were told they are alittle behind and walked us over to the buffet where remediums meet us.We ate lunch at the buffet and once again great, our rep shows up and seemed like a very nice gentleman. We were told on the phone by the reservation rep and at least three times by the current rep there is no pressure. We finish lunch about 3- 3:15 we head back to the club and the clock starts, we listen to what they have to offer, look at one of the suites and we come back the club....out pops the closer. The whole vibe changes immediately, it was worse than a car dealership. This guys would not take no for an answer and was rude about it. All he managed to do was infuriate me and make my wife uncomfortable. Apparently to this guy having vacation insurance is just as important as health insurance which was one of his crazy rebuttals to us not wanting to take on any more debt. STRIKE TWO We finally get this man to understand we are not purchasing they let us leave the lady checking us out was completely rude and ignored us. I still tried to be courteous through this entire process, shaking the guys hand even though he had been rude and thanking the lady at the desk. So we take a look at the clock and it's now 5:45 this was not suppose to be more than 90 minutes long and here it's been 2 1/2 hours. STRIKE 3 ruined my wife and I evening but we sucked it up and took the kids to lost Rios which was nice, clean and a lot of fun for the kids. Dinner at indoor sports bar was good, the woodfire pizza is awesome. Monday we spent half the day at the outdoor waterpark and the other half at the indoor we all had a blast. There is a tube shortage, people walking around the lady river but it wasn't bad while we were there. Half the staff are foreign exchange student so they barley speak English which gets annoying and obviously doesn't help in the customer service dept. For dinner that evening we decided to get take out from the indoor sports bar, I call and order in which I'm told ten minutes. We make it there in 15 and food is not ready, then we waited for another 30 minutes until it was done.....I was very frustrated if it is going to take a half hour tell me it's going to take a half hour. It was the end of the day, we are tired and hungry. I did not feel like standing around a bunch of drunk people waiting on my food. Overall I felt the hotel is nice, short on staff everywhere and customer service is horrible. Not sure if we would return we were really turned off by the way we were treated at the close of our presentation.

• Stayed August 2012
5 Thank 13rick
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, August 13, 2012
13Rick,

Thank you for being with us on your recent visit to the Dells and selecting Chula Vista. I was happy to see that your visit overall was a pleasent one that your family enjoyed their stay. I do personally apologize that the Club Preview inhibited part of your stay with us.
On your next visit to the Dells I hope that we may be of service to you again, enjoy the balance of your summer and have safe travels.

Dan Hoppe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Turkish first
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our family consisting of 8 adults and 5 children thoroughly enjoyed our weekend stay at the new Rio condo’s 3-bedroom suites at Chula Vista. (The one we had is really a 2BR suite, with an adjoining BR). The first bedroom has a king bed; the second has 2 double beds and a pull-out; the third has 2 double beds – we had more than enough space for the entourage. It has a full kitchen – with standard sized ref, stove, microwave, dishwasher, sink, coffeemaker, kitchen utensils and plates. The kitchen amenities allowed us to cook when we wanted to in between our jaunts to the varied gustatory establishments within and outside the resort area. The living area is quite spacious, adorned with a huge Jacuzzi and a fireplace; also has a sofa sleeper. There is a balcony overlooking the scenic Wisconsin River and tall evergreens and various greeneries. Three bathrooms, three tvs – we were happy campers even before hitting the waterpark. Our units overlook the wave pool, close to the hot tub, and across from the outdoor waterpark and Lost Rios, which houses the indoor waterpark.
It seems that there is a water activity for all ages. There are multi-level of excitement offered by the waterslides, and the pools. I must say that safety does not seem a huge concern here, and that parents as do anywhere else must make a point of making sure the kids are always safe. Although there are lifeguards everywhere, I saw a lot of pushing and line cutting and running that were not addressed by the staff. The indoor pool was really crowded and most of the lounges were occupied. The lazy river was particularly crowded and cannot accommodate the size of the crowd. There was a wait for the clear tubes and people were grabbing tubes as swimmers exit the water.
There are many food options in the resort, and the prices are reasonable as compared to other touristy locales. There are non-water related activities, including golf, spa, arcade games, trail walking, even saw a sign for a fitness room. Overall, I was impressed by the variety of fun activities, the condo’s scenic surroundings, and the layout of the area.
However, I experienced and heard many complaints about the elevators. There are only 2 elevators to serve 3 stories of rooms, where guests come in loaded with luggage and coolers. The elevators are also used by staff to ferry those luggage trolley and conduct their business. There is always a long wait, particularly for those where using the stairs is not an option. Signage and directions around the area can also be improved. One has to always refer to the printed maps distributed at registration to find out specific places within the resort. During our stay, I also noticed many flies in the resort, and they seem to be everywhere.

Room Tip: The top floor provides scenic view of the Wisconsin River, the evergreens and surroundings but prepa...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank lab51
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Lab51,

Thank you so much for making us part of your summer vacation in the Dells. The condos on the river are a perfect setting and setup for a family outing. I also appreciate the feedback on your experience throughout the resort it assists in training and planning. We look forward to being of service to you again and have safe travels.

Mequon, Wi
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Put this destination on your map! A Dells visit is a must! I stayed with a friend (both in our 50's) for a girl's get away. We picked a villa overlooking the golf course. Ours had a great little balcony-perfect for coffee or cocktails-we did both. Everyone at the resort was polite and helpful. Our place had a lot of room-even a full stove/oven and refrigerator plus a microwave! We ate at their Chop House-great dinner and I mean GREAT! A highlight was a spa and a must if you can! I liked the assortment of packages. I had a massage, facial and pedicure and each was awesome! Shout out to Barb, Sarah, Stacey and Melanie for making our spa visit so delightful!!

Room Tip: Villa 4th floor
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
CynthiazMequon_WI,

Thank you so much for the kind words you had for your recent stay, our team members do appreciate it. We will be sure to pass along your thank you' s to the spa team.
I hope that Chula Vista will be your choice for your next getaway weekend and we will be sure to keep you updated. Have safe travels.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We loved our stay last year in the condos and was eager to go back this year. We should have tried a new resort. The 2 bedroom we stayed in was DIRTY. I don't know if they stopped up keeping the condos but the carpet was stained and there were crumbs on the carpet when we arrived. I loved the condo experience last year but this year it was disappointing due to cleanliness and general up keep.
The water parks have become CROWDED. I figured out the green wrist bands are for "day guests" I paid $1150 for a 2 bedroom condo and always felt jammed into the water areas because people who are just visiting for the day and probably using the park for free have taken the place over. The green visitor wrist bands greatly outnumbered the purple of the guests paying a PREMIUM price to stay there. Plus a lot of the "day guests" monopolized the lazy river and tubes EVERY time we went to use it. Life guards also need to regulate the play in the lazy river, frequently it was blocked up by packs of people or rough housing in it while I tried to use it with my autistic son.
The food was expensive and the quality has slipped. Luckily we ate out most of the time.
Check in was a disaster. very long lines and was impossible to find a luggage cart.
The 3 couples who traveled agreed it was our last time to Chula Vista, we will try a new resort next year. I can't believe the down grade from last year. Unfortunate because last year I gave the resort 5 stars, this year I have a hard time giving it 2.
If the resort decides they want to stop allowing "day guests" and allow the people who are paying a premium price to stay so the parks are not OVER CROWDED I may give them another chance. Right now we are looking at a new place to resort in the Dells.
I hate to give a bad review but Chula Vista has defiantly took a turn for the worst. Over crowding due to "day guests" and lack of cleanliness/upkeep of condo units are the 2 major factors in my rating.

Room Tip: At another resort
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Matt P
Matt P ,

First of all thank you for taking the time to provide us feedback on your stay and I am sorry we did not provide a memorable experience for you and your guests. We do pride ourselves on cleanliness and safety so we take these comments to heart. The appropiate managers and supervisors have received your comments for followup.
We will keep you updated on our progress and hope that you may be able to give us future considerations and I would welcome the opportunity to make your reservations personally.

Travelers are raving about these Wisconsin Dells hotels

Reviewed August 4, 2012

This was our 2nd time at their waterpark in 2 years. Both times we had received free passed from our hotels. We had a terrible experience last year, but thought maybe it was just a bad day for them, so we were willing to give it another try. We shouldnt have bothered. It is set up terrible, the only pool in the immediate outdoor main water park is tiny, and packed. The other outdoor pool and lazy river are impossible to find. They're somewhere behind the hotel. The inside park was dirty, packed with rude people and not enough tubes for their lazy river. They have so much property that I dont understand why they don't make their outdoor park bigger, get rid of the sandy beach ( there's no water by it anyways), add an accessible large outdoor pool and lazy river, and put a wave pool in. If you did this, you might not have to give away so many free passes to get people to come. If we receive free passes again next year, they're going straight into the trash.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Debralyn
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, August 5, 2012
Debralyn,

I am sorry we did not meet your expectations for your day at Los Rios and thank you for your feedback on what features would be of interest to you in the future. I do hope that you enjoyed your vacation time in the Dells and continue to visit the area.

Oak Forest
Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was on a group of almost 40 people and we were choosing between kalahari and chula vista, since almost all of us has been to kalahari, we chose Chula vista. we were not able to get the accommodation that we wanted since we booked it late so we end up in 6 rooms in the north tower. when we checked out I made a note of my friends comments on the place since I was the one who made the reservation and felt the need to post their concerns both good and bad.
GOOD PART
*the outside surrounding is very relaxing, closer to nature compared to highly commercialized waterparks by the strip
*Maria in reservation was very helpful and accomodating from the time I was looking for a place up to the time I checked in.
*the outdoor wave pool is in a very nice location.

BAD PART
*checking in was horrible, it took a long time. They have to checked me in 1 room at a time, we have six rooms, I don't understand why it has to be like that when I was the only one who got the reservation. We asked them if among the six rooms if there was an adjoining rooms they said no but when we got there,2 of the rooms were adjoining but I was not able to assigned the appropriate families for rooms because by the time I finished checking in everybody got their room one at a time. It seems that they are not familiar with lay out of the rooms.
*one of the rooms has leak in the ceiling and somebody has to cut a hole open and promised to come back to finish the job but never did. One of our friend has to stay while he's working on it and he was not able to join the group because he has to stay in the room.
*the lights were so dim in the rooms.
*theres not enough signs to direct us where the the amenities are ( like it took a long time for us to find the wave pool)
*the water pressure in all of the six rooms were so slow that takes us a longer time to take a shower and hot water would run out.
*the bath tub would easily clogged up
*the wave pool is very little and hardly had any waves.
*the rooms are very outdated, tube TVs
*our biggest complaints was the very tiny refrigerator when the room accommodates six people. It won't even fit a gallon of milk
*my bed did not have a fitted sheet on so every time I move the sheets comes off.
*the other bed was sagging.
*the coffee makers were dirty, and is very hard to unplug from the wall so we could washed them
*the outlets are so loose and won't hold any chargers
*one friend ate at the market fresh buffet and they said that there were flies in the restaurant.

maybe if we could have stayed in the condominium it could have been better, because athe other amenities are nice and the surrounding is very relaxing

Room Tip: The condominiums look great
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Imperial702
Dan H, General Manager at Chula Vista Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Imperial702,

Thank you for being with us and selecting Chula Vista, I am sorry that we did not meet all of your expectations. It was kind of you to point out Maria she is a wonderfull team member and happy to see she was of assistance.
We are addressing issues with accommdations in that section of the hotel and we will continue to keep you updated on our progress. In addition we take your comments seriously and we will use these for future educational tools. I do hope that we will see you again sometime in the future.

El Paso, Illinois
Reviewed August 1, 2012

For the last 4 years we have been going to Chula Vista because it was clean, fun, offered a lot of water activities and was exclusive to over night guests. The last part was very important to us because it makes it easy to get tubes for slides and the pools are not over crowed. We have been to many water parks over the last 10 years and have found the exclusive ones to be well work the extra money.

Apparently, Chula Vista decided (without changing it on their web site) that the overnight guests would not notice they had opened their water parks to the public. Let me tell you, we did. We were unable to get tubes for slides, all of the lines were ridiculously long, the pools were so full you could not even swim, just stand in one place. On top of all that, they raised all their rates for the overnight guests!

If that is not bad enough, the floors in our room were filthy, there was a ball of hair under the sink in the bathroom and if you didn't wear your shoes, your feet were black within minutes of walking about the room.

We spent $1400.00 for 3 nights....NOT WORTH IT!

When we spoke to the manager on duty at check out, she never even apologized....just kept saying "OK, I'll pass it on."

If we are going to have to share a water park with the public, we can stay anywhere for A LOT LESS. Therefore, we will not be returning to Chula Vista.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 4jackson
4Jackson,

I appreciate you providing feedback and I am sorry that your stay was not to the experiences that you have had in the past. The comments you provided will assist in future training of team members and are taken seriously by the appropiate managers.
We do hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future, have a great balance to your summer.