“Awful woman ruins cheese shop”

Mousehouse Cheesehaus
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Windsor
Bloomington, Minnesota, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awful woman ruins cheese shop”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Boo on Mousehouse! I wanted to share my personal experience with Mousehouse: about 10 years ago I started driving through Wisconsin (I’m from MN) to get to my college in Indiana. Mousehouse was approximately halfway through the trip and we’d stop in Windsor to gas up and get some awesome sandwiches. Literally we’d stop there every time, going both directions. I loved that you could order any cheese you wanted on the sandwiches! Everyone was so kind, and even though I’d only stop by every month or so, I’d walk in and someone would say “Hi! You’re cheddar and Havarti on white, right?” and that was so awesome. I told everyone I knew who lived in Wi or who would be driving through it to stop by. I stopped to and from my way to college, concerts, and even my honeymoon. We’d often buy lots of other extras at the shop too. About two years ago, however, my husband and some friends of ours stopped by on our way to a concert in IL. When I asked for Havarti and cheese on white, a female employee, a long-haired blonde woman who I’d never seen before, barked out that the Havarti would cost extra. Surprised by her tone, I was more than willing to pay extra for what is literally my favorite sandwich, but was taken aback by her rudeness, seeing as how everyone else has been wonderfully polite and kind every other time I’ve been there. Anyway, we paid extra and despite being a little upset at her tone (another employee even apologized for her rudeness) we enjoyed our sandwiches. About two years passed before we were able to go again, and last week is where Mousehouse lost 2 die-hard customers. My husband and I were on an anniversary trip to Chicago and stopped by MH on our way home. The store was not busy…there were more employees than customers, all who greeted us kindly and nicely. I noticed the long-haired female was working again…this time with her back turned while cutting something at the sandwich area. I very nicely asked a different employee who was taking my order if I could get Havarti on my sandwich, and that I was more than willing to pay extra. She said “probably” but turned to ask the long-haired blonde, who didn’t even turn around, but barked (does she have any different tones of voice?) “you can only have cheddar, provolone, or pepperjack on sandwiches” and continued cutting away. I was really disappointed. Literally this woman could have charged me $20 for this sandwich and I’d have paid it, as it’s a treat for me whenever I drive through Wisconsin and I wait months and years for this little tradition. To be completely turned away out of hand seemed…unprofessional and rude. Certainly, she had every right not to serve me the sandwich I love, but I also have the right to post this to every single review online. Do not go to the Mousehouse…it has become overruled by a very rude person who is not concerned with a long-time customer and should not be in a position of leadership. I will never visit Mousehouse again, nor will I refer anyone to go there again. I will really miss it, as well as I’ll miss all the other people who were so nice to me every time, but will not further subject myself to unprofessionalism or rudeness from this one person.

Visited August 2012
7 Thank Jessica G

Madison, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One Visit to Make You a Rewards Card Member”
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

I live seconds from a different cheesehouse and will now take the extra trip to go here instead. The staff was unbelievably friendly and helpful. The cheese was delightful and the fudge was tempting. There are little gifts as well as local wines and goodies. I took home a block of 4 year aged cheddar and the family's signature jack. Also had to get string cheese for a friend - it is by far the best around. I was sure to get a rewards card on my way out because I know I'll be back.

1 Thank barkja
Riverview, Florida
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 77 helpful votes
“These guys know cheese!”
Reviewed May 8, 2012

They let you sample everything including the fudge!! The staff here are very helpful. We were here on a Saturday to pick up something we had on a tour at the New Glarus Brewery. I still don't remember the name but they knew it after a basic description, and had a block. We stopped back by the next day on our way back to Florida and spent $100 on cheese and sausages.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank flame6883
Red Wing, Minnesota
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great little shop - fudge, cheese, and gifts!”
Reviewed April 10, 2012

I've lived 10 minutes from this little shop for 13 years and always heard great things but never stopped by. Finally made the trip and wish I hadn't as now I have an excellent fudge shop WAY to close to my home!!! Very friendly staff. Excellent fudge - rival some of the top fudge places I've ever been to, even Mackinaw Island which is known for fudge!!! Get to sample as many as you'd like. Tons of local meats and cheeses too. We didn't try the cheeses this trip, but have heard that you can sample those as well and they are delicious. Also have isles of gifts representing Wisconsin. Everything was very reasonably priced. Right off the interstate just north of Madison.

Visited April 2012