“The best of what Bed & Breakfasts have to offer!”
Review of Hamilton House B&B

Hamilton House B&B
Ranked #1 of 2 Whitewater B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 18, 2012

I'll be the first to admit, I'm not normally a fan of bed & breakfasts. The Hamilton House, however, has won me over! It retains the charm and history bed and breakfasts are known for, but offers privacy and modern luxuries that make for a truly comfortable stay. The home avoids the fussy decor I had associated with many bed and breakfasts and instead was immaculate, classic, and beautiful! Kathleen, the owner, was incredibly welcoming, and it was clear she truly cared I enjoyed my stay. I was welcomed with a glass of wine and tour of the house. Kathleen gave me great info about the area and dining recommendations (The Black Sheep and Sweet Spot were amazing!), and as I was there on business and would not be able to participate in the hot breakfast, Kathleen explained she'd have a delicious to-go breakfast ready and waiting in the guest fridge for me the next morning. (And what a gourmet to-go breakfast it was!) There were complimentary coffee, lattes, and snacks to enjoy at my leisure. And there were none of the awkward moments I imagined of bed and breakfasts, where I felt forced to talk to strangers. The room (Berthe Morisot) was delightful, and though I had much work to do, sitting with my laptop and a latte in front of the fire made even work a bit more enjoyable! What an incredible first bed and breakfast experience. I can't wait to return and bring my husband!

Room Tip: Berthe Morisot! The fireplace and comfortable chairs were wonderful!
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

Dear Business Traveler,

I appreciate you taking the time to share a bit about your experience at the Hamilton House. I am pleased to have been your first bed and breakfast experience. It is rewarding to know that we were able to create a space that allowed you to feel comfortable and relaxed allowing you to focus on the work that you need to complete.

We are happy to prepare an extended continental breakfast for guests that are not able to join us at the formal breakfast in the dining room. In addition, our midweek, business travelers can now enjoy a full hot breakfast served especially for them anytime between 7am and 10am.

We look forward to your return visit with your husband.

Kathleen

Reviewed September 15, 2012

IT's an easy decision as to where I'll stay in Whitewater, whether for business,, or a romantic get away with my husband. From the moment we arrive Iwe feel a Welcome home! presence at the front entry and spacious living area, the parlor. The fresh aroma of cookies or muffins are the norm.
The guest rooms are immaculate and charming. Fresh linens without any smell of perfume or chemicals is my kind of place to stay! The Monet Room is a favorite of ours, though the upstaris Red room with its history of the underground railroad is awesome. Upon request, Jim Fleming gives the fascinating history of this home in such an entertaining fashion.
Kathy Fleming is excellent with her varities of breakfast entrees; she is always polite in asking what we prefer for our breakfast. She also has expertise in sharing ideas of things to do in and around Whitewater. When I leave Hamilton House, I always look forward to when I can return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back have less street noise.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to share feedback regarding your stay a the Hamilton House. I am pleased to see that you appreciated our attention to providing a healthy environment for our guests. Your comfort is very important to us, as well as your health. Therefore, we use all natural, chemical free, dye free cleaning products. Jim will be pleased to hear that you enjoyed the history of the Hamilton House. He truly enjoys sharing the varied past that the house has been a part of.

I look forward to the next opportunity we have to create a getaway just for you.

Kathleen

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We also had a price dispute with the owner, same as the other poor rating. We did try to resolve it and it wasn't resolvable. This doesn't seem to be the norm, however, so don't let it affect your choice of place to stay

The innkeeper did not live up to other's comments about her hospitality, kindness, and willingness to go out of her way to make us comfortable. We were distinctly under the impression we were trouble and that she resented any intrusions. Requesting extra bedding made us feel like we were inconveniencing her. Both of us felt we couldn't ask for anything and that talking to the innkeeper was like talking to someone who was clearly hostile to us. We've stayed at other B&Bs before and had wonderful times so this was a shocker, especially with the other reviews. Maybe it was just a personality thing.

things to know:
The upstairs rooms are mostly hardwood floors, so the ground floor rooms are
noisy.

The breakfast is served on a plate the innkeeper makes up for you, so no seconds, and yes, as the other person said not buffet style, so you may think it is skimpy. another reviewer said it was healthy, that wasn't in evidence on our trip... the food was drenched in oil, which I wouldn't consider healthy, but to each his or her own.

The walls are thin so you can hear other people talking and having sex quite clearly next door. We could also hear our neighbors talking and drawing a bath. Maybe they were unusually loud, but a romantic spot to share your sex life with strangers is less romantic. My travel companion woke up to the sound of our neighbors having sex quietly while we were staying here. Again, though, you know when you're renting a room in a older Victorian house that it isn't going to be perfectly quiet. It isn't perfectly quiet in a hotel either.

If you have a bad back, the beds are soft, so it may not be that comfortable. The comforters are all duvets, so you can't sleep on that on the floor. It's thin as paper. Some f the rooms are quite chilly and cold. Pay attention to the layout on the photos fo the website. i didn't and I regret it greatly.

The wifi didn't work in our room. If you are coming to work, be careful that you may not have internet access in your room.

If you have allergies you may be more congested here, because of the dust. Both of us woke up heavily congested.

On the plus side, the towels are as luxurious as others have said.

In summation:
The house is fabulously rich with history having once been a stop along the
Underground Railroad. There is a book in the parlor guests can read
to learn about the history of the house. If you're coming just to
stop off from hiking locally, I'd say this is a good place to come,
but if, like me, you want a place to feel like you are in luxurious
surroundings and history for resting and relaxing this is a terrible
place to come. I was crying in the morning when I woke up, and
wanted to go home immediately. Likely it was just a bad vibe between
me and the innkeeper, because we had friends who came here for their
2nd anniversary celebration and liked it a lot and other friends who stopped off here while they were exploring the local state parks.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank bacalhau w
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Dear Guest,
I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. I welcome all feedback as an opportunity to continuously improve the experience offered at the Hamilton House Bed and Breakfast. It is our aspiration to create a private, relaxing space for guests to share lasting memories. I am sincerely disheartened to hear that your stay at the Hamilton House did not meet your personal expectations.

Since your review, we have been actively reflecting on your comments and evaluating the information, including current rates, posted on our website as well as our reservation service to insure all data is clear and consistent. We have also taken this time to revisit our standard policies and procedures to make sure the needs and wishes of our guests can be fully anticipated. In addition, we have confirmed all room postings have been updated with the current password for the newly installed Uverse wireless internet service.
Your feedback has also pointed out the need to further highlight our service of providing additional bedding for extra comfort along with the option of replacing down pillows and duvets for those guests with allergies. I will check our website for additional places I can post this information to insure guests with sensitivities will know prior to arrival of the options that are available, including two down free rooms. It was also helpful to hear, no pun intended, of your sensitivity to noise as guests regularly tell us how pleased they at how quiet the house is. I have taken steps in researching additional soundproofing for the comfort of those with keen hearing. Silence, especially for sleeping, is golden.
Miscommunication and misunderstanding occurred between us as we both thought we were clear in expressing our message in conversations throughout your stay and reservation process. I have recommitted my effort to clarify the requests of a guest seeking assistance and not assume I understand their underlying need. I will ask additional specific questions. I will impress upon guests my genuine eagerness to personally tend to all requests, providing exceptional attention to details. I will convey that an untimely distraction or another guests’ needs is only a minor delay of my willingness to make every guest feel as comfortable and welcome as possible.

Jim was pleased to hear that you enjoyed learning about the history of the house. We continue to marvel at how the beauty of the Hamilton House has survived its extremely varied past lives.

We welcome the opportunity to have you return as a guest of the Hamilton House. If, however, you seek an experience different from what we are committed to, the Wisconsin Bed and Breakfast Association website (wbba.org) lists many, unique establishments for your next getaway. From this site you can search for Wisconsin inns by amenities, breakfast style, diet restriction accommodations, size of inn, location, price,etc.

Thank you again for your feedback. We are committed to continuously improving the services provided by the Hamilton House as well as clarifying the way we communicate the flexibility of our standard procedures.

The Innkeepers of the Hamilton House Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed August 9, 2012

After biking 75 miles for a charity ride, Hamilton House offered me a sweet rest stop. My bed was plush& oh, so comfortable. The in-room whirlpool soothed my tired muscles. The XL size bath towels were L-U-Xurious. Although I was traveling light, anything I would've needed, the innkeeper had stocked within the room or in the guests area. She (Kathy) recommended wonderful dining at the Black Sheep, just a short walk from the inn's door. (Try their specials!) Early to rise for the second day of riding, no worries! Kathleen had options available for breakfast that accommodated my schedule!

What truly made me feel comfortable was how her return guests that stayed the same evening went on and on about how wonderful their experience continues to be upon each return. The refreshments available at check-in, the personable greeting from Kathy at the door, and all the little niceties she offers her guests are amenities you won't find at the local hotel. I had reserved 1 day in advance and Kathy offered arranging for a massage for me knowing it would be needed.

I wish I had more time to stay and take in the historical/architectural details of the building itself. BUT its another excuse to return to the Hamilton House!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
BandBInnkeeper, Owner at Hamilton House B&B, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share a bit of your experience here in Whitewater with fellow travelers. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Hamilton House as well as your dinner. Thank you for allowing us be a part of your weekend.

Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is the best B&B I've had. The rooms were immaculate. The food was delicious- I even asked for recipes. I loved learning the history of this building in my hometown. Next time I visit Whitewater I will stay at the Hamilton House. Kathy was a wonderful hostess, she made us feel at home, but also very special. The 2 night stay discount made this very affordable. Book soon, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: All the rooms are we great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I never stayed at a bed and breakfast before because I think of houses with outdated decor. The idea of sitting at a table with the owner and strangers doing small talk doesn't excite me either. But I love the charm of old homes. When I found this place online, I was excited. They offered the option of breakfast in your room to make for a great first experience at a B&B. The owner did an excellent job decorating to stay with the history of the home without feeling old and stuffy. Through out the place she has added touches that shows she cares about making your stay enjoyable and relaxing. The breakfast was absolutely delicious and she did a great job working with our dietary requests. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We had been talking about a bed and breakfast trip for at least a year, but circumstances prohibited it. By the time we got to go in June of 2012 (anniversary weekend), we needed it more than ever.

Of course, when you are looking forward to something so much, there's always the risk of disappointment, but the Hamilton House EXCEEDED expectations. Our room was great, and the building was quiet. It was an incredibly comfortable and peaceful.

Kathleen was friendly and helpful--always available when we had a question but never in the way.

We're not really fancy breakfast people, but we both really enjoyed our meals.

We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steve K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitewater
Super 8 Whitewater WI
#1 of 7 in Delavan
Geneva Inn
Geneva Inn
#1 of 15 in Lake Geneva

Been to Hamilton House B&B? Share your experiences!