“Good Food - nice addition to Whitewater, WI”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Black Sheep

The Black Sheep
Ranked #6 of 44 Restaurants in Whitewater
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Chef Tyler - "I've called it The Black Sheep. We are different and our menu is different. We work with local farmers and producers to bring in local and fresh wine, meats, cheeses, and produce, whenever possible. We go to the farms to see how the animals are cared for and the land is protected. We purchase just enough to keep fresh products rather than fill freezers. We are passionate about food."
East Troy, WI
“Good Food - nice addition to Whitewater, WI”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

The Black Sheep is a new restaurant in Whitewater and my wife and I hope they can make a go of it. We ate there on a Friday night without reservations but were met quickly and cheerfully by the staff and were seated quickly. The philosophy of the restaurant's chef is to use as much local food, produce and beverages as possible, which we strongly support. The follow through to this idea was quite good.

The strong points of the restaurant are: good food, nice location across from a city park and lake, nice decorations, clean bathrooms and dining areas, friendly staff (hey, it's Wisconsin!). We did have some issues with the food: the lamb ravioli was tasty but the pasta was not fully cooked and tough; the salads were so so but since it's a bit early for fresh produce in our zone, this is understandable.

The negative points are just as Jarvis R stated: the wait staff are not well organized and trained and could be well served by having a dress code. We ordered drinks which came separately and only after a reminder. Same with bread and oil. The bartender needs training in mixed drinks.

All in all, we will certainly come back - there are many intriguing menu items and based on our experience, they will be worth trying. Whitewater needs more good restaurants like this and we hope The Black Sheep will do well.

• Visited May 2013

“Fabulous Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

What a delightful restaurant! My wife and I went there last night and both the food and service were outstanding. We enjoyed our wedge and spinach salads and then our entrees of pineapple salmon and pork loin both served with sides of polenta. The pork loin was served in a cranberry reduction sauce that was simply famtastic.Topped off a great meal experience by sharing a yummy apple cranberry bread pudding with ice cream and drizzled caramel.
You'd expect to find a great restaurant like this in a big city but Whitewater is fortunate to have it right in its quaint downtown...a real gem!

• Visited May 2013
3 Thank H2OB
Whitewater, Wisconsin
“Good Food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

The Black Sheep has been recommended to me by many friends and I finally got a chance to visit this restaurant located in the heart of Whitewater. I have to admit I wanted to love this place and I walked away a bit disappointed. It wasn't the food that drove down my review as our meal, especially the lamb ravioli was very good. The desserts were great!! The problem with this restaurant is the front of the house. The wait staff seems unorganized, and not to the caliber of the food. Staff wears whatever they want and their attention to detail is simply not there. It could be that we came in on a bad night but the honestly the super casual attitude of the staff doesn't match up with the caliber of food. Please hire a front of the house manager and bring in a far mor professional staff!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Jarvis R
janesville, WI
“I look forward to going back over and over again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We finally made it over to this restaurant for my husbands birthday. I love the old building it's housed in, complete with an entire wall of exposed brick and beautiful wood plank floors. Everyone was so welcoming and we loved it that the chef came out to meet us at our table. The prices were reasonable and the food was fabulous. I love it that they highlight local food and make things from scratch. My husband got the mussels appetizer and left the broth at the bottom of the bowl. I wanted to lick it, it was so flavorful! He loved his pineapple salmon entree, our friends loved their steak and pork loin. I was very happy with the shepherd's pie. I'm thrilled that a restaurant like this is in Whitewater. I look forward to going back over and over again.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank trulike
“Delightful Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Don't let the name fool you. This trendy restaurant is like a bag full of surprises! Located downtown, it has a nice view of the river/park. There is ample parking too. Friendly staff and a great menu with affordable prices-what's not to love!! I couldn't find a single fault and I am hard to please. Will stop again.

Visited April 2013