“Excellent again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jail House Restaurant

Jail House Restaurant
Ranked #25 of 98 Restaurants in West Bend
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
West Bend, Wisconsin
“Excellent again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Second time eating here and was not dissapointed. Food can be a bit on the pricey side. My wife has gluten allergy and both times they were able to provide her good food without any problems. Great place for special occasions, nice atmosphere.

Brookfield, Wisconsin
“AMAZING Friday Fish Fry in an AMAZING Setting!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2014

This was our first experience at The Jail House Restaurant. My son recommended Jail House as he has eaten there once before. He thought they had a fabulous Friday fish fry and he mentioned we would enjoy it.

Jail House Restaurant is really in the middle of nowhere. It sits all by itself out in the country. I think that's part of the allure of Jail House. The building looks like it was built in the 1800's. Old plank wood abounds throughout the restaurant. It's like stepping back into another era. Very cool setting, warm and inviting. There is a bar on the first floor when you enter the restaurant as well as a dining room. Then you can take the stairway upstairs to the second level and there is a large dining room that takes up the whole second floor.

THE FOOD: We are always looking for a new and fresh restaurant to try Friday Fish Fry's. We have a favorite located in central Wisconsin called "The Woods Restaurant" in Waupaca. To us, it's the best fish fry anywhere we have found in Wisconsin and sets the standard by which we measure a great fish fry. So far, we haven't found a Friday fish fry in and around the Milwaukee area as good as The Woods in Waupaca...until now! This definitely is at the top of the Friday fish fry list!

I ordered the sampler plate which included fresh beer battered lake perch, walleye and 3 shrimp choice of soup, salad and potato. My son said the best soup he's ever had is the beer cheese soup and I should try it. I did order it as my soup and he's correct, excellent soup and very unique. Others in our group either ordered the full perch fish fry or the all you can eat cod fish fry. Everyone's food was delicious and fresh. The menu pricing is not the least expensive or cheapest you'll find but it's fresh and high quality and includes more food than you can eat.
The perch fish fry is about $17-$18.

THE SERVICE: The restaurant was super busy because of how popular Friday night fish fry's are. We had a reservation for 6 people so we were seated immediately. They only take reservations for 5 people or more. Our server did an excellent job considering how busy they were. If we asked for extra this or that, she followed up right away and delivered it quickly. She was very polite and did a great job. Also, everyone who worked at the restaurant was very pleasant and eager to say "hello" or "have a nice weekend!"

Overall, I would highly recommend Jail House Restaurant. If you want to get away from the typical boring restaurant, try Jail House for it's unique setting and old world charm but the Friday fish fry will get you coming back time and time again.

Excellent experience at Jail House Restaurant. We just found the best Friday fish fry in the Milwaukee/surrounding area!!

2 Thank golfrusa
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“REALLY good!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Went for the first time last week with a Groupon. The service and food were just wonderful. I recommend the yummy mashed cauliflower. I had the jumbo shrimp and the half rack of ribs. These ribs are fantastic; falling off the bone and great sauce. My dinner mate had the medallions with mushrooms. Awesome wine sauce and very juicy. I hope to make it to their fish fry which is all-you-can-eat on Fridays. The waitress was perfect. Very attentive and friendly.

West Bend
“Dinner 4/5/14”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2014

Excellent food. My wife had the seafood scampi ($26) and I had the 20 oz bone in ribeye ($32). Both were delicious and it was one of the most tender ribeyes I've had in a while. Salad was good and my wife had soup, also very good.

We had a drink before dinner and one after dinner. Very friendly staff all around.

Slinger, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I will pass on future visits.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2014

Had a 6:30 reservation for six people last night (Friday). Did not get a table until 7:15. Yes, I get it that it is a Friday, but why take the reservation if you have to wait 45 minutes to sit down? After that, service was slow. And I mean slow. All in, with normal table service, (we passed on desert), we were out of there at 8:45 pm. A bit excessive in my book.
We had been there probably ten years ago, and I guess that the reason we did not return until now is we were not impressed then.
The fish was good, except for the two extra pieces I asked for. They were almost raw inside and I returned them to the kitchen.
Sure, list me as the person who is never happy with some place's service, but that is just not true.
There are lot's of dining choices we are really happy with, but I will pass on the Jail House moving forward.

• Visited March 2014