“Wonderful experience from start to finish!!”

Jail House Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 102 Restaurants in West Bend
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I ate at The Jail House Restaurant this past Saturday to celebrate Labor Day and loved every minuted of it! The staff was exceptionally nice, and the food was spectacular! We started with the spinach and artichoke dip, which was delicious! The appetizer came with these triangular pitas that we just loved, great touch! They had an awesome "Labor Daytini" that I tried, and thought was just the right amount of sweet for a martini! I had the walleye almondine (pan-fried), and my boyfriend had the 6oz tenderloin with crab legs. Both dinners came out hot and perfectly cooked. I had a bite of my boyfriends filet and it was a perfect medium rare! Compliments to their chef!! They brought out the dessert tray, which was an amazing assortment of desserts! We were both so full, so we took a banana split torte home, which we devoured the next night. It was divine! We had such a great experience! We will definitely be going back soon!

1  Thank buzdum12

Reviewed July 31, 2013

If you have a problem with your food, don’t expect to be treated well. We went to the Jailhouse for my daughter’s birthday (9) – it is her favorite place for the desserts they offer. I ordered a new York strip (my wife and mother-in-law also ordered steaks). We all ordered the steaks medium, but when my food came out and I cut into my steak, it was much closer to well done. The other two steaks at the table were a little closer to medium rare, but in the realm of medium. The waitress never came back to the table to see how our food was and we had to ask another waitress to go find her. When she came over, I showed her my steak, and she said that their steaks tend to be well done on the ends, but the middle would be medium. A little strange for a $30 piece of meat, but I said okay and cut into the center of the steak – it was also well done and she agreed. She offered to bring me out another steak, but with everyone else at the table almost finished with their meal, I said no since I didn’t want them to wait and watch me eat my meal. She came back and asked if I wanted my steak boxed up, but I said no, I don’t want the steak, it was not edible. She said okay, but “you will still be charged for it”. I said no I wasn’t which she replied “you ordered it, so you have to pay for it”. I asked her if she really wanted me to make a scene in the restaurant, which she replied “you can, but you are still paying for the steak”. When I again said no I wasn’t, she said I could talk to the manager, which I agreed should happen. When the manager came out, she informed me that they inspected my steak, and it met there definition of medium – if that were the case, then the other two steaks at the table were severely under-cooked. I then said if she wanted me to take this out on the waitress and not leave a tip, I would do that. She looked cross at me and said, “but it wasn’t her fault”, which I replied that she was giving me no choice, so it was her fault that the waitress is not getting a tip. She then replied “my fault, why on earth is it my fault”, which I replied that she had the power to make this right, and by not doing anything, she was giving me no choice. She then said that she would see if anything could be taken off the bill and stormed away. When the waitress returned with the bill, she said that they took the steak off, but still had to charge me $6 for the sides – well at least the cup of soup was good. And just so I didn’t forget, they automatically added the tip to the bill – how nice of them. The worst part was that they obviously wanted us to leave at that point and didn’t bring out the desert tray for my daughter – which was why we were there in the first place. I guess at this place, if there is a problem with the food, the customer is always wrong and in overall operations of the business, profits come first and the customer comes last.

8  Thank Mark B
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Just had a fish fry last night. All you can eat beer battered cod. Crisp, tender, and not greasy. Came with cole slaw and rye bread. I had the potato pancakes. Two big pancakes with applesauce and syrup. Also came with soup or salad. I had the Wisconsin cheese beer soup. It was outstanding. Could have brought a pot home with me.
My granddaughter had the chicken ceasar salad and it was huge. She realy enjoyed it.
Very nice atmosphere and service was great. Those girls realy work, running up and down the stairs and seem to be dancing around each other with their huge trays of food.
Love this restaurant and will return again.

2  Thank MJJWisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2013

My Wife and I ate there tonight and had a wonderful dinner. She had the coconut shrimp, I had the Filet. Mine was perfectly done, very juicy and tasted great. My wife said her was very good. Service was very good. I would definately return.

1  Thank gregoryLH
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I had made this place my favorite for going out for a good steak dinner. The last time I was here though, it wasn't special at all. The food was average and the service was just o.k. So it will probably be a long time until I return. I will find another place as my favorite.

2  Thank goldandsilverrush