“average food, obnoxiuos customer”
Review of The Old Cedar Inn

The Old Cedar Inn
Ranked #27 of 100 Restaurants in West Bend
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Visited on a Saturday night. Had scallops and my wife had prime rib. No plates on the table to use forbreadsticks or rolls. Had to lay the butter patties on the placemats. No steak knife with the prime rib and although it was not tough, it made the meal a workout using a butter knife. Both meals were average at best, but the real disapointment was an obnoxius woman at the bar who kept cackling at the top of her lungs for the entire time we ate. Everyone in the dining room was rolling their eyes and complaining to the hosts, but apparently she was a regular and no one told her to quiet down. She even laughed as the people left, saying no one minded. Too bad. I wont be back.

2  Thank Crasso

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We've been here several times and this restaurant has sometimes been busy and sometimes not. This Friday was definitely a busy time. Parking while normally plentiful can be tight on a busy Wisconsin fish fry Friday. Staff is very welcoming and we were lucky to snag a seat at the bar. They were doing everything right. Hostess took our names and gave us an estimated seating time. Bartender, on the fly, said she'd be right with us, and she was!

Prices are right and the food was very good. We especially like their wonton mozzarella sticks and sometimes come there just to eat them.

It's not high class but it's great class. I mean that it's a Wisconsin bar and restaurant and does that job very well. The place makes you feel welcome. I think you'll like it.

3  Thank maybepat1
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We tried the Old Cedar Inn on a Friday night. The Inn was very busy, but we were seated in under 30 minutes.
The staff are very friendly,and accomodating. The restaurant is clean, and the decor is something typical of a Wisconsin tavern, not too splashy, just a down home relaxed feeling. Dress would typically be below business casual, and approaching California beach casual.

The small dining room is separate from the small, crowded bar area.

We had wine with dinner, my wife had Lambrusco, and I tried the house Chardonney...both were very good, glasses were small, but a good serving.

We ordered calamari as an appetizer, and they served a plastic basket of what looked like cheese strings. Remarkably, it was very good calamari, not too tough, not stringy, and beneath the breading, which they really did not need in this case, the calamari was soft, tasteful, and very pleasant.

My wife ordered the perch and shrimp. The perch was good, served plain on a plate with the shrimp. The shrimp was served deep fried, and pretty crunchy, which takes away from the experience of having good shrimp.

I had the scallops, and had I not been in a rush, I would have noticed the menu said "battered" scallops. The scallops came out deep fried, and like a pamby, I almost got frumpy before I even tried one. I have never had deep fried scallops before, so we had to reach outside the box to try to be objective on this review.

They were not too bad, the inside was not scorched, or tough, and they actually were very good once you got past the breading. This would never be my preference for how to serve scallops, but these were not the worst entree we have ever had.

This is a place to try, if you are looking for some place different on a weekend, It is pretty small, so plan ahead, and call in a reservation.

Have a good dinner,

Mahalo

3  Thank GenoMIchiganYooper
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Decided to try a new restaurant and the reviews were not that bad. Went on a Friday night. Was very busy and parking was difficult. The employees moved cars to let us park. We were seated within 5 minutes. Small dining area, maybe about 40-50 people. Staff was extremely friendly and got drinks right away and asked every few minutes how we were doing. The food wasn't to bad. The fish was very good. The frog legs were great according to the one having them and burgers were ok, but well done could have stayed a few more minutes on the grill. We would eat there again, but maybe a different day and/or time.

1  Thank Skygem
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I am a lover of frog legs and they don't get much better than this. They serve them all the time so it's just not a Friday thing. My wife has had a variety of sandwiches and has always been happy.

2  Thank Bob53095