“Nice and New”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Wauwatosa
Flint, mi
“Nice and New”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

This location has the best Crowne Plaza building I've stayed in.

The front desk service professionals were efficient, polite and friendly. Actually, I've yet to stay at a Crowne Plaza without stellar service.

The pool and fitness center looked clean (I didn't get around to using them).

The breakfast in the hotel restaurant was very good.

The elevators are amazing. They are so fast, it feels like you are being transported floor to floor on the Star Trek Enterprise (you hardly feel the movement, and it's never more than 10 seconds away from your destination). I've made the countdown several times after pressing the button, and the arrival tone would usually ring 6 or 7 seconds later (if not instantly).

The location is close to the I-94 expressway, but the rush hour drivers in this town are idiots (much worse than Detroit, Chicago, Toronto or most other big cities I've visited). My wife and I decided to venture around on the side streets and stay off the freeway while staying here.

Room Tip: Try to stay in rooms higher than the 3rd floor for a good view. Our third floor room had a view of...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Lynda K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Milwaukee West Hotel, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Flintjarvis,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our property. We pride ourselves on delivering top notch customer service and I am happy that you were able to have that experience. I’m glad that you were able to enjoy our breakfast in Innovation as well as the speediness of our elevators! Please keep us in mind if you are ever in the Milwaukee/Wauwatosa area in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family stayed here for several days while my father underwent very serious surgery at a nearby medical center. Most of us had reserved rooms for several nights but my mother had an open-ended reservation as she had to stay an undetermined amount of time while my father recovered. On the morning that the rest of the family was due to check out, they also slipped a check out notification under the door of my mothers room. We immediately called the front-desk to notify them of the error and were told, in a very rude and unsympathetic tone, that they were overbooked and could not supply a room for my mother. When we asked to speak to the manager, we were transferred to a number where there was no answer so we left a voicemail describing the situation and left our contact information. No one contacted us so I went down to the front-desk to investigate. When I started describing the situation, they stopped me and said that the general manager had decided to "let her stay the night" as if they were doing us a huge favor. I was taken aback by that comment and let them know that they were not doing us a favor, in fact they were just honoring the original agreement. I will admit that I was angry (I don't like the idea of my mother being kicked out of a hotel due to their screw up but who would?) but the staff members laughed in my face several times, particularly when I said "the customer is always right." This did nothing to make me calmer but I backed off as my mother at least had a place to stay for one more night. We then made reservations at another hotel and didn't bother with the Crown Plaza again, even though there was a gap of one full day where my mother would have no place to stay and was forced to stay overnight in the hospital where she has no ability to take a shower or access to a bed.

Where was the manager in all this? Who knows. They never returned our phone call or bothered to come out when I was having an obviously unpleasant encounter with their staff. If you stay at this hotel, I hope that you don't encounter any unexpected problems because the seemingly disinterested management might not even talk to you, much less try to fix the issue.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Lynda K, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Milwaukee West Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear NOLAML,

Thank you so much for your recent comments. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service. For that reason, the comments are troubling and will certainly be looked into. Most importantly, I'd like to apologize for the issues you experienced at our hotel. Thank you again for your comments.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012 via mobile

Road trip with 3 kids (4,9,15). Still here at my first night.

This hotel is just brilliant. Brand new. Very nice lobby. Cute bar. Nice resterunt. Great service.

Amazing fitness center (and I'm a gym addict). Great indoor pool - kids love it. Shuttle to miller park.

15m from downtown. Lots of places to eat around. Great breakfest.

Close to the zoo.

Good value compared to downtown hotels.

Would come back here on my next business trip to Milwaukee.

• Stayed August 2012
Dear DoSomething10,

I am happy to see that you were able to enjoy our hotel amenties during your stay at our property. It makes us happy to read that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment. Thank you for the wonderful and kind words of praise!
Richmond, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

While the hotel itself was average for the price, they offer a very nice executive floor with a private lounge and continental breakfast.

I did not arrive in time to take advantage of the evening fare in the executive lounge but breakfast was a pleasant surprise with real dishes, fresh fruit and other things you don' t typically find with the run of the mill 'free' breakfasts.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Wausua
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel on August 2 & 3, 2012. We were in town for business/social. When I booked the room was $189 a night plus all the junk taxes and fees. I was thinking it would be a cut above for the extra $50 or so. Well, not really.

My first gripe is when I arrive I would like the entry way to clear for guests to unload and load and then move our vehicles. When we arrived there 3 or 4 cars that were not actual guests. So I get to lug our stuff from the outer parking lot. I voiced my displeasure at the very young people at the desk and got the deer in the headlights look. Ok.

The room itself is ok. Small for the money. This is a newer hotel. TV is nice flat panel HD deal. Lots of channels to pick from.

They are skimpy on towels. My wife and I were both looking for more hand towels by morning.

The next day we returned to our room at approx 2:30pm and there had been no maid service. Room was still as we left it at 8:00am. Ugh. We were done with our Milwaukee stuff and just decided to head home. The room was prepaid so I took the loss. I would rather be home and this hotel was just so-so. We left. I wonder if maid service ever showed up?

They do have a restaurant on site. It looked pretty good eventhough we did not try it. Location is nice. Near the better suburbs in the Milwaukee area. Close to the freeway.

A pretty mixed bag here but the price is too much when a Hyatt Place is just as nice for half the money.

1 Thank Ted D
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Milwaukee West Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear Ted D,

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us. We work very hard to ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to be the best Crowne Plaza around. We appreciate your nice comment regarding the room and its amenities.

However, It sounds like we fell below your expectations especially on housekeeping and for poor customer service from our front desk. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Madison, Wisconsin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

The hotel looks nice, we stay only 2 days and the room looks very nice. The only downside is that the swimming pool is VERY small, so we did not enjoy it. Nevertheless is an ok hotel for a business trip to Mke.

1 Thank Maria C
Manhattan, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2012

This is the first time we have stayed at the Crowne Plaza. The staff was extremely friendly and outgoing. In addition, many got to know you by your first name and they would go above and beyond to make sure the stay was enjoyable. Clean rooms too! We have already booked for August 2013 because of our stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wauwatosa
Radisson Hotel Milwaukee West
Hampton Inn & Suites Milwaukee West
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Milwaukee West (Brookfield)
Ambassador Hotel
Ambassador Hotel
#10 of 56 in Milwaukee
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,390 reviews
Forty Winks Inn
Forty Winks Inn
#3 of 5 in Wauwatosa
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Milwaukee Downtown

Been to Crowne Plaza Milwaukee West Hotel? Share your experiences!