“What's the big deal?”

Ranked #1 of 99 Restaurants in Wauwatosa
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Le Reve is a classic French bistro in the heart of the village of Wauwatosa. Le Reve offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with a beautiful display of traditional French pastries.
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Other reviews rave about Le Reve so we decided to try it. I don't get it. The restaurant is located in a shabby old and tiny store (an attempt at atmosphere?) with very few tables on the main floor (forget it if you are physically handicapped). Parking is almost nil. We really enjoy the French food at another local restaurant, and expected more of the same. Wrong. I felt that everything was just loaded with butter. The onion soup had globules of butter floating on top. The Croque Monsieur was soaked in butter. The server brought us fries instead of salad and never came back to check on our satisfaction. All in all, we were disappointed to say the least. We will return to eating at the OTHER French restaurant in town,even if it is three times the distance.

There are newer reviews for Le Reve Patisserie & Cafe

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Having grown up in Europe, one of the things I tend to gravitate towards if French (or French inspired) cuisine. My wife and I went out for a romantic dinner at La Reve and fell in love with the place throughout the course of a fantastic dinner.

Starters:
Crostini de Brie: Really nice brie, perfectly toasted baguette... unfortunately too much honey. I would order this appetizer again, but I would ask to hold the honey, or at least serve it on the side. I had to scrape the honey off to be able to taste the brie.
French Onion Soup: Well, it's a French restaurant, they should be able to do this well... and they did. The flavors of the broth and the onion came through beautifully, unlike many other places where this soup generally tastes like heated beef and vegetable stock. It was lovely!

Main:
We both had the special; seared scallops, squash puree, Brussels sprouts, speck. In one word: spectacular. The scallops were fresh and seared to absolute perfection. I had never thought Brussels sprouts and squash would work together, but they absolutely did. It was a very welcome discovery. The thinly sliced speck added a nice touch without overpowering the entire dish. It was a limited time special and I am saddened to see it gone from their menu... I hope it will make a comeback next year, I will go back just for that dish for sure!

Desserts: As you walk in, you are greeted by a vision you seldom see in the US: a patisserie case like you would see in the little European towns. I was not overly impressed by their chocolate mousse; it was lacking the lightness and airiness I've come to love about French "Mousse au Chocolat".

The atmosphere was superbly appropriate. Quaint, small intimate tables, classic stone- and glassware, wood and brick throughout, all very French... it almost made me feel like I was back on the mainland of the European continent.

Definitely a place we will visit again... soon.

1  Thank BelgianAlien
Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have lived any years in France and the food was excellent and very close to what I am use to in Paris. My only critiques were that the escargots were not served in shells and that my waiter did not speak French.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

My husband and I shared the mussel appetizer. The sauce they were prepared with was wonderful. They were served with four thin slices of bread for dipping so much of it was wasted.
No other baguette was served during our meal. My husband enjoyed the scallop entrée. Three were the served portion with risotto. I ordered the duck. The cherry sauce was delicious. My portion a was single duck leg served with four small slices of beef tenderloin medallions. The lamb entrée served to our friend also was a smaller portion of lamb rounded out with the beef medallions.
Two dessert items were offered. My husband and I were wanting to share the pumpkin meringue. It was no longer available. Our waitress brought us a hazelnut cream cheese tart hoping to tempt us with that instead but neither of us enjoy cream cheese so we settled on a fruit tart that was good but not unique.

2 beers in a bottle, one glass of house white wine, and one Jameson and ginger ale cocktail was $32.00. The food was good but expensive and entrée items were "rounded out' with more ordinary meat.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

La Reve simply is one of the best restaurants that I have ever visited. I now have been there twice, and it is a destination anytime that I am in the Milwaukee area.