“rude staff”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Wausau
oshkosh
“rude staff”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Hotel was run of the mill, generally needing updating. The housekeeper that cleaned my room was exceptionally rude though. I swear she even rolled her eyes at me! Unacceptable. I travel a lot and have never been treated in such a fashion. She had a strained, "I don't have to put up with you" attitude.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
BestWesternWausau, General Manager at Quality Inn Wausau, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
We sincerely apologize for any staff that were unfriendly during your stay. Your review is not of an experience our guests normally receive. Please contact me to discuss your concerns further so that we may better prevent an experience such as yours in the future. Thank you for your business and I hope that we can regain your business.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Rogersville, Missouri
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I stay at this Best Western on a regular basis. What prompted my initial return and the many there after was the employees. The accommodations are great with lots of recent upgrades. Cali's pub kind of reminds me of Cheers. Lots of regular business and local people makes it easy to strike up a conversation. It gets a lot of family traffic based on the indoor pool yet it is not noisy. Really dont think you can go wrong with this hotel for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: For business, go for the tower. For pleasure try the lower two floors.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. We truly appreciate your feedback and business. Our full-service property is perfect for business or family guests. From our in-door pool area to our on-site restaurant and lounge, you are sure to relax while away from home.
Wisconsin
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I did priceline so I was given this hotel for 50.00. So for the money it was Ok but would not book again. It was very noisy on the Hwy side of hotel. Tried to call down to the desk several times with no answer. When I did get someone and asked to be moved they said they were sold out. I guess everyone there walked or drove together since the parking lot as very empty. It looked like a hotel used a lot buy the area ski hill a little beat up.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
On behalf of our entire staff, I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. I assure you your experience is not common at our property. I invite you to contact me directly so that we may discuss your stay further and make up for the inconveniences you experienced.
Appleton, WI
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My daughter and I recently stayed at this hotel while we were in town for a basketball tournament. We have stayed in other hotels in the Wausau area during "tournament time" but really enjoyed the layout of this particular place. There were at least 2 other large groups staying at this hotel and there was plenty of room for all of us to congregate in the pool area. I also enjoyed the fact that the pool area did not contain that overbearing chlorine smell that many pool areas have - - Thank you!!!! Our room was clean and perfect for our stay. Our team ate in the hotel restaurant one of the evenings and had very good food (Prime Rib was super!). The hotel has a nice bar area, but the bartenders didn't seem to have access to items for specialty drinks. . . . yet we survived. The people at the front desk were very welcoming and helpful during our stay. I would love to come back to this hotel in the future. Overall, great experience! Most importantly, our girls had a very enjoyable time! :)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BestWesternWausau, General Manager at Quality Inn Wausau, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
It puts a smile on our face to hear you enjoyed your stay. Please don't hesitate to contact us if we can provide any assistance in the future. Thank you so much.
Downers Grove
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I was disappointed with the overall appearance from the outside and in as well as with the operation of the business.. The hotel grounds and lobby could use some maintaining to say the least and updating for sure. My husband proceeded to check in but returned questioning the pricing. Making the reservations online myself because the hotel was too busy to handle our reservations by phone and advised for this. I went in to handle matters because I confirmed all details by phone after booking and had confirmation in hand with totals. I was told that paying a premium on line for a pet friendly room was not correct that there would be an extra $20.00 a night added to our room per night. My printed papers with my confirmation No. read $0 would be added to price. When I showed this I was told it was up to the individual hotels and this was stated on line in small print. I ask to see that on the computer in the lobby and was told that she would get a copy from the office. This was not something I saw on line and wanted to look and the web in the lobby with her but she refused. I had a chance to talk to a manager but he said it was their policy. We decided it wasn't worth it and decided not to stay because of the principle of the matter. They did agree to refund. We asked if there were any other pet friendly hotels in the area and they misinformed us. Their mistake again, bad for business! Super 8, Wausau, WI dog friendly, pristine property, professional staff and no hidden costs!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

We are truly sorry for your experience. Please contact me directly so that we may discuss your experience further. I may be reached at 715-842-1616. We hope to be able to provide you with a superior experience the next time you visit Wausau, WI.

Travelers are raving about these Wausau hotels

Houston, TX
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This was by far the worst experience I have had at any hotel in my entire life! I brought my family up for a weekend of skiing and when I arrived there was a large group hanging around outside the entrance and many were obviously drunk. When I checked in the desk clerk advised “we have upgraded you to a room near the pool." I have stayed at a similar type of hotel with a pool/entertainment area indoors with many rooms surrounding it. THIS IS A HORRIBLE ARRANGMENT FOR A HOTEL, especially for those with children and anyone that wants to sleep! It is beyond noisy when there are 50+ people all loudly enjoying themselves in the pool, playing games, drinking, etc. On the surface, that doesn't sound like a bad time and I don't blame them for enjoying themselves. But when that is all going on just outside your door it is IMPOSSIBLE to sleep. Evidence by the 2-3 hours I was able to get that night. The noise finally started winding down about 11PM when someone came out and "closed" the area down. That lasted about half hour till some were back out it and making the same noise. I called the front desk and was told someone would take care of it...they never did. I remember 12:30 AM on the clock but finally did fall asleep only to be literally startled awake by loud crashing against my door, window and the wall. It was so violent that it scared my daughter awake crying at 0256 in the morning!! There was a group of people just outside our door seemingly drunk and making more noise than the entire population in the pool area a few hours before. It was so loud when I called the front desk (again) I could hardly hear her. She promised to take care of it and a few minutes later someone came and asked them to be quiet. That worked long enough for them to move the noise into the room next door where the paper thin walls only blocked the view but absolutely did nothing to block the noise. From the yelling, laughing, screaming, urinating (yes, I had to lie in bed listening to folks urinating through the wall) I laid there awake listening to this till I had had enough about 0530 and just got up.

When I asked why I was "upgraded" against my will and told them I purposefully booked a room "away from the pool" I was told there were no rooms available. If what I reserved and paid for was not available then I should have been told in advance or if you can't guarantee what is purchased then don't give the option to choose.

The next night was not any better and in some ways, worse. No one came at 11PM to "close" the pool area as had happened the night before so the entire place remained horribly loud until 0100 or later. The experience was so bad we chose to just pack up and leave early. Despite being exhausted from the inability to sleep in such an environment I packed up my family and drove back to Chicago after skiing on Sunday. We paid to stay through Monday but decided it wasn't worth another sleepless night.

I have yet to mention the temperature in the room and the disgusting breakfast. Although it was in single digits, the room was so hot we had leave a window open all night to be tolerable...no control in the room. The advertised "hot breakfast buffet" was inedible and should not be considered a perk to staying here. The first morning we tried it the sausage was so overcooked and dry it was difficult to cut and eat. The only real edible food available was the waffle as you cooked it yoruself. We ate at McDonalds for breakfast.

Granit Peak is a great ski area and we enjoyed it very much!! Great snow in March, almost nil lift lines, and very enjoyable. If you choose this area, stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank TxAv8torguy
BestWesternWausau, General Manager at Quality Inn Wausau, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future. We are truly sorry your stay wasn't relaxing. We do offer individual guest room temperature control through the thermostat on the wall next to the bed in each room. It is unfortunate that in accommodating your request to change the dates of your stay, on the original day of arrival January 18th, we had to upgrade you to a Pool-view room in order to accommodate your request to move your reservation to March 1st. We also waived your cancellation policy in doing so. We sincerely apologize that this happened in order to accommodate your date change request, and that no away-from-pool rooms were available to move you to. Upon your request the following day after check-in, we worked on relocating you to a different hotel per your request, but unfortunately you never returned our call in order to complete the relocation to a different hotel. Our staff and myself offered many other options to make up for any inconvenience but you refused to allow us to make it right. If I can assist you further, please contact me at 715-842-1616.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wausau
Days Inn & Suites Wausau
Courtyard Wausau
Courtyard Wausau
#6 of 11 in Wausau
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau

Been to Quality Inn Wausau? Share your experiences!