Quality Inn Wausau
La Quinta Inn Wausau(Wausau)(Great Value!)
$61
La Quinta
$149
Days Inn & Suites Wausau(Wausau)(Great Value!)
$69
  • Free Internet
Stewart Inn(Wausau)
$117
$113
All reviewspool areavideo gamesping ponghoffman housepool tablemotor lodgegranite peak ski areagreat priceski hillpool and hot tubwould stay here againstaff was friendlymidwaypoolsidewipetclerk
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Let me begin by saying I am not a fussy traveler. I do not demand down feather pillows, silk robes and a crown. I just want cleanliness and comfort for a good price at the very least. This Best Western is an older facility. It was prime in its day but its day has passed. Not to say it is awful, but very dated.

The rooms all look onto the indoor pool, the key culprit for why it was so d@%# hot in our room. Well no worries, so I thought. I immediately reached for the thermostat to turn down the heat. The lever flopped around like a wet noodle. Then I spotted the register mounted on the wall and started punching buttons like a telephone operator. Nothing lit up....no life. I KNEW this was not going to work. A middle-aged, menopausal woman in an overheated room is a lethal combination!

So off to the front desk I went to request a room with a working air unit. She informed me that all units in the hotel we shut off for the winter. I looked at her like was certain to die that night. She suggested opening the window in our room. We did, but being on the first floor, I was a tad concerned about our safety. Truth be known, concerned for the safety of anyone attempting to break in. I cannot think of ANYONE wishing to take on an overheated, middle-aged menopausal woman.

The only other dislike was the fact the room smelled like a smoking room, even though they do not permit smoking in the rooms and haven't since the smoking ban passed in Wisconsin nearly 5 years ago!

A GREAT place for family and kids, pool with additional activities around (i.e. video arcade, pool table, etc). Free hot continental breakfast and nice staff. So with that being said, stay there if you can handle the heat and don't mind the smell of smoke. By the way, we got our room for $50 on Priceline.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
BestWesternWausau, General Manager at Quality Inn Wausau, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

Thank you for your feedback Rita. I'm very sorry to hear your stay was not comfortable. All guest rooms feature complete guest control of the temperature of your room however the air conditioning is disconnected for the winter. Please contact me if there is anything I can do to make up for the inconvenience you experienced by calling 715-842-1616. We hope that you allow us another opportunity to provide you with a superior experience.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Friends and I meet in Wausau every year for a long weekend and try different hotels. This was our first and last time at Best Western Midway. The gentleman we checked in with was not very friendly - we were there on a fun, girls weekend and he was unfriendly and gruff. When we asked if we could have a room near the pool, he just kept telling us in a very gruff way that we had "priceline" rooms. It really made us feel like we were low lifes since we had a priceline room with how he was talking to us. Oh well. We first were given a room on the second floor and were staying for 4 nights...hauling a larger suitcase up a flight of steep stairs is not easy. Especially when you have to stop and try to open the secure doors (wiht your room key), hold one open and get around. Also, I was traveling with my mom who is older and the stairs were not kind on her ankle or knees. The hall ways are super hot and the temps are not regulated at all. When we finally got inside the room we were disappointed by the smell of an old smokers room. The room is assigned "non-smoking" but must have been a smoking room in years past. The room was also not really clean. There were dusty areas, old shower tiles that looked like they needed a good scrub, and old mini fridges that didn't really keep stuff cold. Later that evening we found how thin the walls are...our room was close to the highway and the noise from it kept waking each of us up. It was very disruptive. We got a room change the next day to a first floor away from the highway but found that the walls are thin. People above sound like they are stomping, you can hear people in the hall, you can hear people in rooms next door talking. Not a very relaxing atmosphere to sleep in. The breakfast was not as good as other hotels in the area. Took 3 phone calls to get towels. Overall, very very disappointed. Can't not figure out how this is a 3 star hotel!!

Room Tip: ask for 1st floor away from the highway or better yet, just don't stay here!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank lisa d

We are truly sorry to hear your stay was not a relaxing getaway. I assure you your experience is not common and I'm sorry to hear you did not leave happy. I hope the letter I mailed to you found you well. We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to provide you with a superior experience. Please don't hesitate to contact me to discuss your stay further Lisa.

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We are originally from the central Wisconsin area, and subsequently moved to the Madison area. When my husband needed to be in Wausau on business we looked for a hotel to stay. We have been very pleased with our Best Western hotel stays and were aware of this location, but had never stayed there before. Having a Hoffman House restaurant connected was a bonus, as we had always enjoyed the food and atmosphere at the Madison locations (that closed many years ago). Both the hotel and restaurant lived up to our expectations. The room was very nice with plenty of space to move around. My husband needed to do a business conference call in the evening and the desk set-up in the room easily supported this need. Dinner in the restaurant was great, especially the salmon and the included breakfast was one of the best I have had - lots of choices and good quality.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad you enjoyed your visit to Wausau, WI and were able to truly enjoy our spacious guest rooms. It is always a pleasure to hear our on-site Hoffman House Restaurant is serving great food like you always remembered. The Free Hot Breakfast Buffet with your stay surely got your morning off to a great start! We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

Room was very nice and clean. Nice bar and an excellent breakfast. Front desk personel were very helpful. Easy access from the highway. Close to restaurants and shopping. We had a very nice time. I will be staying there again. Great for a weekend stay. The pool was being painted, but the hot tub and exercise room was open.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
BestWesternWausau, General Manager at Quality Inn Wausau, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Thank you Dale. It is a pleasure to hear you enjoyed your stay from our friendly staff to our easy-access location and Hot Breakfast. Our pool is now open ready for your enjoyment. Hope to see you again soon. Safe travels.

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Let me start off by saying this is a very clean hotel and we slept really good here. We were at a wedding and decided we would stay in town so we could spend some more time with family and enjoy the pool. We arrived at 2am and it was $98.00!!! No discount of any kind, even being so late. I would have been ok with this but the lady behind the desk was rediculously rude about it! She gave us short answers since we had inconvienced her by being there. She gave us no info about breakfast, when the pool opened, or anything else. We usually get a discount because of our careers, AAA or from booking it online. I do not recommend this to people looking for a last minute hotel, becuase anywhere else will charge you less for coming in so late at night.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Breanne M

Thank you for staying with us. We are happy to hear you found your stay clean and left well rested. I am very sorry you we let you down at your arrival to the hotel. I would love to speak with you further. Please feel free to call me at 715-842-1616.