“A must see!”

Ranked #6 of 164 Restaurants in Wausau
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is really a unique place, it's a must see when in Wausau. I went on a Monday, sat at the bar, and enjoyed excellent specials and service. The atmosphere was friendly and accommodating. I had pizza and it was quite good; not the best I've ever had, but because of the friendly atmosphere and great specials, I'll definitely return. Give this little icon a try!

Reviewed October 7, 2013

My family had supper here on a very busy Saturday night at 7pm in Sept. 2013. We had a large group. We got there just as a large bus filled with a softball team was leaving. Our wait was not long at all and we were seated all together. I had a pizza which I was not a fan, but, it you like that stone baked thinner crust then you would like it. The pastas were great, prime rib was good. We would eat here again without hesitation

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Dined on 9/25/13 and first sat at the bar for a couple of pre dinner drinks. We asked the bartender what they had on tap and he in returned asked if there was something in particular we were looking for. I would have just asked for a specific beer if there was and we were sitting at part of the bar that was not in view of the tap knobs. After a sigh, he reluctantly listed off the very boring list of draft choices. From the bar we then moved into the very small and cramped dining area. Our server was at our table quickly and we proceeded to order. Once I was in need of another drink I then ordered a Brandy Old Fashion, sweet. She forgot what I had ordered so again ordered the same thing, and was brought out a drink in a pint glass with olives. Their special of the night was "talls for smalls" so I think the drink was made in a pint glass instead of a rocks glass because it was a bar special but was surprised to get olives in a sweet Old Fashion. Salads came out quickly, and I opted for the Caesar salad for .99 more and added anchovies. Dinner followed the salads almost a little too quickly as we were still eating them when the food arrived. Prime rib and twice baked potato for me and ravioli for my friend. She said the ravioli was really good and I agreed with the sample I had. The prime rib was ok, however it was undercooked (ordered it medium) and was chewy in areas but very tender in others but any real flavor was nonexistent. The twice baked was ok once they cooled down enough to eat. We declined dessert and received our bill. First think I noticed was that my Old Fashion was keyed in as "sour" when I ordered it twice as "sweet" Also, beers in the restaurant were .75 more than in the bar which the server said we were undercharged earlier but corrected it. Also, a $3 charge to add anchovies to a salad which was not mentioned at the time of ordering. The atmosphere was different and fun to check out. With all that being said, it was an average dining experience at best for a place that we had higher expectations for.

1  Thank hexx17
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We showed up at 7pm on a saturday night with 11 people. Our server was fantastic! We had some interesting requests from our group and she made sure each and every one of us were taken care of. The food was outstanding! Everything from burgers to steak to pizza! We will stop again when in town!

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I hadn't been to Wausau Mine since I moved away from Wausau 19 years ago, is I was pleasantly surprised to find it was just as fun as I remember. The kids had never had pizza fries and loved them, who wouldn't love bread smothered in cheese! The atmosphere was great, the kids were excited to see the cave like decor. We will have to visit again!

Been to Wausau Mine Company? Share your experiences!