“Celebrating Summer”

72 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Celebrating Summer”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

An absolute must for this summer is the current exhibit: Celebrating Summer Plein-Air Painters of America! These paintings are all breathtaking. Absolutely gorgeous outdoor paintings capturing natural light in every way possible! The exhibit runs through August 25, 2013 and is something everyone who enjoys the outdoors needs to see. Woodson Art Museum is always free and if you are looking for a nice cool stop on a hot summer day - this is the place to go. My favorite artists in the exhibit: Joseph McGurl & Brian Stewart - incredible! We also checked out the permanent exhibit: Owen J. Gromme - An Enduring Legacy while we were there and it was amazing as well. Detailed life like paintings primarily of Wisconsin wildlife and nature - check it out! Thank you Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum for the opportunity to see these amazing artists work!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank HTCWI

Wausau, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fantastic art.”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The art in this museum was splendid. Every piece of art had amazing detail and lots of texture. It definitely was a great place to go. The outdoor sculptures were very detailed and great, although there is a statue of a dog with his genitals in plain sight. That was a little weird. Overall, great place.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Robby T
Whitewater, Wisconsin
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Great little gem of a museum”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Famous for their Birds in Art exhibit (different every year), they also have some nice permanent collections. The great thing is that it is small so one can get a thorough view of everything in an hour or so. Outdoor sculpture garden is always interesting, too.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank JustLinky
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Surprisingly interesting to all”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

A little background info; I did not visit the Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum until a college art course I was in took a field trip here. I would not have considered coming here otherwise, as when I hear "art museum", I generally just envision old paintings and pictures. This course was a couple months ago, and it changed my perception of this Museum and other art museums.

At the time, there was an amazing set of origami throughout the Museum. I understand some of their offerings rotate out every few months, whereas some like their Birds In Art exhibit remain stable. I was intrigued enough on the two hour field trip that I brought my family here a few weeks later to see everything. The amount of content available to view is staggering considering that it's free to visit. Their continual updating of the exhibits is appreciated, and we will likely visit again over the summer. Donation boxes are available throughout, and the staff we talked to was friendly and willing to help us as needed.

Finding the location is probably the hardest part, as it's tucked away up on the east side hill on the way out of town toward highway Z/Franklin St., and the main parking lot is a small walk from the main entrance. Thankfully, parking is free and abundant, as there's an overflow lot just across the street.

If you're in the area for any reason and want an interesting way to spend an hour or two, check out the Museum. I do appreciate abstract and dark art, but figured everything here would be more "user-friendly" or "mainstream", so-to-speak. However, even the Birds in Art exhibit has a lot of really unique pieces that caught my eye. A great, low-cost way to spend some time whether alone, as a couple, or with family.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank hend6
Wausau
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 98 helpful votes
“Worth While”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This is a jewel of Wausau. Upon my visit was a display of wood work art. I enjoyed this very much, especially after seeing the fine craftsmanship at the Yawkey house.

Visited May 2013