“A beautiful free museum”

Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum
Ranked #1 of 27 things to do in Wausau
Marathon
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“A beautiful free museum”
Reviewed January 13, 2012

This is a wonderful museum with travelling exhibits. When my daughter was in elementary school the class would go twice a year, have artists talk to them and do hands on activities,at times, they exhibit the kids art work also. There is a beautiful sculpture garden outside and benches to sit and marvel. A must-see when you are in Wausau. We live here and try to get to it at least a few times a year.

Visited September 2011
1 Thank jaden6WI

MadCity, Wisconsin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“As good as it gets...”
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Every year, for the past twenty-some, we've made the pilgrimage to the Bird Art Show at Leigh Yawkey Woodson, and it just keeps getting better and better. The museum is worth a visit just for the architecture and surrounding gardens, but what happens here every fall is worth a visit. Artists from all over the world are represented in various mediums that showcase birds in art. You can enjoy bronzes, oils, acrylics, watercolor, woodcarving, scratchboard, serigraphs, batiks, graphite and pencil, all displayed in a professionally-done museum setting. Some years we've been lucky enough to attend the opening reception and meet several of the talented artists who enter their work. But, if you can't make the opening weekend, the show continues through to the middle of November each year, so there's plenty of time to schedule a trip to Wausau. Later in the fall, you can also view the show that goes on outside the museum...a rich pallette of fall colors. The hardwoods throughout the city and on surrounding Rib Mountain turn vibrant red, orange and yellows...beautiful!

St. Paul
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wow!”
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I recently met a friend in Wausau for a weekend trip.
We had select things to do and one of our choices was to visit
Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum. At didn't expect much for such a small area, but was I in for a surprise. I was breath taken at the interior of this building. Simply gorgeous, very open and welcoming. It seems newly renovated thou I can't be sure. The displays where well laid out and each room flowed nicely to the next. Wonderful exhibits! One of the best features was the child friendly play museum in the lower level. Thou my son wasn't with me I have made plans to return with him to visit again. And i can't forget the most wonderful part.... no admission cost. I was astounded to learn when we arrived that there was no entry fee. I have been to many museums in my travels but never to such a beautiful, well put together, clean & friendly place without emptying my pocket book. They evidently also have an exterior park, with statues along walkways, though in the mid of winter, we were not able to partake in that feature. Still beautiful none the less.

If you go to Wausau and do not take your family to visit this museum, you would be missing a most pleasant area attraction.

Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
Reviewed December 16, 2007

Excellent museum. Cozy atmosphere, friendly people, and an excellent opportunity to enrich the soul through art. They offer art reach opportunities for people of all ages and all backgrounds. Love it, Love it, Love it.