“Chose this hotel because it was cheap.”

La Quinta Inn Wausau
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Wausau
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Chose this hotel because it was cheap.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were a party of four who booked two rooms here. Our room was spotlessly clean, but the other room didn't get touched by housekeeping for two of the days we stayed here. And no they didn't leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign on their door as was implied by the front desk. Also, their mini-fridge had an awful odor. On the plus side our room had a recliner and all rooms have microwaves and mini-refrigerators. The breakfast was fine. Not a lot of choices, but the woman working the breakfast area was outstanding. She was super efficient and courteous.

The biggest complaint was the door slamming. It wasn't other guests making the noise, it was housekeeping. Apparently, for safety La Quinta has recently instituted the policy of having housekeeping close the doors while cleaning guest's rooms. I spoke with our housekeeper about the noise and she was frustrated herself with the policy. The noise is constant as the housekeepers have to enter and exit the rooms repeatedly in order to retrieve supplies. It is annoying even if you aren't trying to sleep. The continual bam, bam, bam is irritating and the vibrations make it hard to relax. The manager did a good job of defending corporate's decision to have doors closed to protect their housekeepers, but it did nothing to make us as guests feel valued or safe. In discussing this with the manager we told her a closed door doesn't make guests feel their belongings are safe. Her response was that a dishonest housekeeper will take something whether the door is left open or closed. That is probably the truth, but not really the response you'd hope to hear. Obviously this isn't a chain that can afford to put security cameras in the hallways to protect their employees and guests. The housekeeper came up with a good solution, to have housekeepers work in pairs as she had at a previous hotel chain. The rooms are then made up in half the time and an unsavory guest can't sneak up on them and lock them in a room. Ultimately if the housekeepers aren't safe here are we?

We chose this hotel because of the online reviews and it was cheap. As a result of this stay we won't be staying at any La Quinta hotel again. It would have been worth the added expense to have stayed at the Hampton Inn where we usually stay and will again be staying when we return to Wausau. A note to the La Quinta manager and headquarters. We didn't receive a response to the letter we sent you addressing these concerns. A computer generated email having us rate our stay doesn't count.

Room Tip: Request a room near the center as there are no elevators and the stairwells are at the end of the co...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Travel4FunPartners

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Escanaba, Michigan, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This hotel is a bit dated and needs a complete overhall including the staff (sorry just because you add a flatscreen tv does not mean your rooms are modern). Our stay was fine except the doors slam very loud and cause an echoing effect (in our room near the exit at least). Also the first day of our two day stay after a day of riding motorcycle we came back to our room to find it wasn't even touched by the cleaning staff.
Finally upon check out we find out that the room was already charged to the visa card that we booked online with to hold the room, when I informed staff of this (we used a mastercard when checking in) and that we just would like to keep the charge on the visa, the staff member I spoke with said they couldn't use it because it was being declined. I stated that is because you have already charged it, she was very crabby and cold and acted as if they could not have made any mistake what so ever. I called my credit card company and asked them if the charge has gone through they said yes, I showed the clerk my phone with the charge already on my card but the clerk insisted they didn't charge anything yet. After talking to my credit card company the clerk told me "oh the charge went through". So we got our receipt and left (I really should have asked her name cause management needs to be informed about her), upon checking my credit card charges this morning low and behold two seperate charges for the same hotel and on different days. You can't talk to the staff there because they know all and the guest are just too stupid to deal with. Now I have to go through the dispute process to get the second charge removed. What a great place to stay (sarcasm)!
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I know some people can have a great stay while others have a trip from hell, but if I am looking for hotels in this area next year it will not be this hotel! You would be wise to stear clear of this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

3 Thank DigitalFields
Mokena, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

Yes, I’d love to share our recent experience with you. We traveled to Wausau for a family wedding reception. We stayed 2 nights, at a very reasonable price, and were pleasantly surprised to see all the extras – fridge and microwave in room, breakfast (loved the waffles), late check-out, and nice pool. The best part, however, was the staff, especially Robin. Upon leaving on Sunday, I was a bit in a rush to get to my cousin’s house for a family luncheon and left a red garment bag hanging behind the door. When I realized it, I called and talked to Robin and she checked the room, found the bag, and held it until my husband finished playing golf and swung by to pick it up. Thank you so much for providing a great hotel option – we will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

HARBOR SPRINGS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Loved the hotel, was clean and beds and pillows comfortable. Had an extended king bed room and lots of room with mic and frig. It was quiet for sleeping and dark. Except that our room was next to the outdoor exit and the door was slamming shut a lot and we could hear it. Complaints are the towels sucked! They were worn and thin. Also on the second day they only gave us the bare necessity of towels. I had no washcloth for the shower. And no towel to dry my hair. That was crazy. And the continental breakfast room was SMALL!! Very cramped and not much for seating. Especially when the hotel was busy on the weekend. But over all we liked the place and would stay there again! Hope they improve on these points tho...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

1 Thank Nancy M
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

This was my first stay at a La Quinta and I was pleasantly converted to the chain's offerings. We had a friendly greeting and the front desk and the host inquired about our dog, indicating that dogs were welcome at the hotel. Our room was, well, roomy: two queen beds with plenty of space between them, a table and chair, a second armchair to the side, a coffeemaker, and a large mirror. We also had enough thick towels to not have to skimp. The room was clean and tidy.

There was plenty of room for luggage, so if you're here during ski season, you'll have a good amount of space to store clothes and gear without falling over yourselves. There are a few restaurants within walking distance, but it takes only a few minutes to drive downtown to eat at one of the restaurants there.

Breakfast at the hotel included the usual offerings: orange juice, coffee, cereals, a waffle maker, some fresh fruits such as banana and apple, yogurt, and hard boiled eggs. It's adequate and it's included in the price. The breakfast room is kept quite clean, too.

Overall, this was a good place to stay and I'll be looking at more La Quinta Inns for the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

La Quinta is a great value for business travellers like myself.
Comfortable,clean and a fair price!
This is one f my favorite hotels in Wisconsin!
Highly recommend for business travellers or vacation!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wausau
Days Inn & Suites Wausau
Jefferson Street Inn
Jefferson Street Inn
#1 of 10 in Wausau
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,005 reviews

Been to La Quinta Inn Wausau? Share your experiences!