“Great experience”
Review of Back When Cafe

Back When Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Back When Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 162 Restaurants in Wausau
Cuisines: American, Italian, Healthy, Cafe
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: McClellan St.
Description: Farm to Table Style Cuisine...Using local seasonal fresh ingredients...Steaks, seafood, pasta and gluten free options.
Reviewed January 15, 2008

My experience at the Back When Cafe was great. Our party of two for dinner was seated right away. We had a very nice view of Wausau from our seats. The ambiance was great. We were in town for the holidays, so everything was decorated very festive.

Appetizer: We ordered bruchetta. It was wonderful. Ripe tomatoes and just enough garlic.

Dinner: I ordered the scallops and my friend ordered the duck. Both were delicious. We split a bottle of Hahn Cab. Sav. which is now an all-time favorite of ours. When ever we get together now we make sure one of us brings a bottle of Hahn.

The waiter was wonderful. Very attentive and polite. Answered all our questions and made some recommendations as well.

Dessert: Strawberry Cheesecake and Carrot cake. We asked if the desserts were made locally and were told they are.

Just had a wonderful time there. I recommend this place to anyone that wants a classier place to eat in Wausau.

Reviewed December 16, 2007

My husband and I went for dinner and were quite unimpressed. We waited quite awhile before we were seated and then were put all the way in the corner at the coldest spot in the restaurant (which wasn't full). Then when our waitress finally came she seemed like she would much rather be somewhere else and spoke in a whisper. I ordered soup and gnocchi. The soup was good but the gnocchi was burnt and looked like cheese soup, it also smelled like throw up. I had one bite and then waited for the waitress to return so I could order something else, but by the time she came my husband was finished with his tasteless ravioli. The sauce on the ravioli was claimed to being homemade but tasted exactly like a can of diced tomatoes with a faint hint of basil. The only high point was that all we paid for was the soup and our beers. I do not recommend anyone to ever go there.

Reviewed July 20, 2007

Three us went to the Back When Cafe for lunch. The seating was "seat yourself" style which I did not think worked at all as we were waitng almost 20 minutes before someone even acknowledged us. We decided to order immediately as we thought we may never see anyone again. There were 2 other tables experiencing the same problems.
As we were waiting another couple came in and were waited on right away, I looked at the people who had been waiting along with us and their mouths were open as though they could not believe it. We almost left at that point, but then the waitress came up and took out orders.
One of our party ordered a salad, which was good, but it looked sort of wilted as though it had been made early in the morning or was from the night before and kept in the fridge with no secure wrap on it.
We eventually got our food, nothing to write home about...my husband ordered a Reuben, which was not grilled, just served warm (the meat was cold), and crab cakes for an an appetizer (15 dollars for 2...OK), we had pasta with a tomaoe sauce which was good and hot, I had the special with a coconut Thai soup, good but not great. We asked for an extra roll and were charged for it. The plates came with a pickle, really nothing special. There was nothing to nibble on as we waited...The waitress asked if everthing was ok once as she walked by...my husband laughed because by the time she finished asking she was long gone.
Our bill was plopped on the table, we finally walked to the front to bar to pay, and as we walked up, the man there,(dubbed the clown by my husband) said he would be right back. If we weren't so honest we could have just walked right out. As my husband paid the bill we were not asked if everything was ok, how did we enjoy our meal etc. We even get that at local diners. I would not recommend this at all, you can do much better for the price...over 50.00 for the 3 of us. No dessert, just the crab cake splurge. Try someplace else...not here!!!!

9  Thank Mts_Reynolds_2004
Reviewed October 8, 2006

Excellent food on par with what you would find in larger metropolitan areas. A gem in Wausau.

5  Thank Wis.gal
Reviewed February 16, 2006

In no way is this a normal 'cafe'. A hidden gem with a great variety, great combinations of American game cuisine, served in a classy, relaxed setting. No 'pub food' here. Came with 15 people, 14 of us raved about our food. This chef would be at home in any big city in America. A strong wine and beer selection to choose from too! Service was friendly. A couple of bucks on the high end side of prices, but well worth it for a nice night of relaxing.

14  Thank chillsnthrills

Been to Back When Cafe? Share your experiences!