“A local commodity for the Soul!”

Richard's Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #45 of 165 Restaurants in Wausau
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I have been to Richard's many times and have never had a bad experience. The food was good and the people are very friendly. You may see some of the post here are not so positive. I urge you to try this place yourself. Some would say it is out of date and others would say it is cozy and friendly. If your looking for something good to eat they have a great Sat. night buffet and Sunday brunch. I however prefer the wing night (Thursday) There are many flavors to choose from. Those who are posting bad reviews clearly stopped on a bad night and although Richards is good at what they do it is impossible for any Restaurant to please 100 people 100% of the time. If you are expecting the royal treatment then this is not the place, if your looking for a friendly place with a social aspect then "YES" this is the place. Good Food and Good times! I am going back!

There are newer reviews for Richard's Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed May 9, 2013

After trying a few of the nightly specials at Richard's (wings, snow crab & prime rib, fish, and pizza), I never really considered looking at a menu for anything else. Thankfully one night I decided I was in the mood for a steak and split the tenderloin for two with my girlfriend. Of course added mushrooms and onions and I have to say this is by far the best steak I have had in town. It was juicy and had unbelievable flavor. We both had a side of twice baked, enjoyed the soup & salad bar and were more than satisfied. From the nightly specials to the steaks to the brunch buffet for only 9.99 (great deal) along with a great welcoming and inviting staff that makes you feel at home, Richard's is a great place to go for whatever you're in the mood for.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

This is the second time I have been there, from the bartender to the owner remembering my name, giving me great drink recommendations and having great food for great prices, you just can't go wrong here!!! This is a place that yes does not have a drink menu as I saw in a recent review was a problem for her, but open your mind, have a little fun and try new things! If you just ask, they are ready and waiting to make you anything from ice cream drinks, to die for old fashions to anything you can think of! Now I'd rather that then be required to order off of a uniform drink menu. The food was absolutely wonderful for my entire family, if you want something changed they love to accommodate me! Now that's what I call service! I also read that people are not liking the decor, well I rather go into this place where I don't feel like I have to wear something fancy! I think it's just right! It feels like a family owned place where everyone is accepted! I definitely wouldn't listen to someone who thinks Applebee's has a "great steak for only $12" if you want a $12 steak then fine do it! If you want a steak that melts in your mouth go pay a few more bucks at Richards!!!

1  Thank Jesstree
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Bad decor.old reminded me of the 70's. ....Very pricey for Saturday prime rib buffet.....19.99.and $5.00 for crab..and poor side choices..Not a good prime rib...tasted a bit like leather......read so many good reviews. Took a group of 6 there for the first time. Will not return and sad to say will not recommend.....I do have to say though, that the banana foster was a fun treat!

1  Thank Pospychala K
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Came to Richards with family on a Tuesday night. We walked in and there was dead silence, like stepping into a library. It was BINGO night but the quietest Bingo I've ever experienced. I didn't know where to even go until the caller of the Bingo numbers directed me to a waitress who greeted us like she was "put out" to have to tend to us. We were seated and asked about drinks. I asked for a drink menu, there was none, they don't even list what beverages they have to drink like soda, milk, tea, etc. I asked if they had any "fruity drinks" they like to make. She went away to ask. About 5 minutes later (the bar was only 15 feet away from our table), finally comes back with a recommendation, which I accepted. She then took the rest of the family's drink requests. It was then 10-15 minutes before she came back to the table with the drinks! Rather than come back to the table to take our order and tell us the drinks would be a few minutes so at least our food could get started cooking. And the waitress taking our orders seemed cold and crass, seemed almost bothered that she had to be waiting on us, very "unfriendly." Okay, so we went up to the salad bar which was just lettuce salad fixings, no potato, pasta or fruit salad options, may as well just serve a dinner salad delivered to the table. We were done with our soups and salads for easily 15 minutes before our meals finally came out. I had a grilled chicken breast with a side of mac & cheese. And that's what came out, plain on the plate. The chicken was a thick breast and surprisingly, did have flavor, the mac & cheese was average, nothing spectacular, could have used more cheese, little soupy. The waitress stopped once right after serving our food and then was not to be seen again until our plates looked like we were done. She waited on other "regulars" instead. Didn't ask to refill drinks or how anything was. My entree was $13, however, I've had the double-smothered chicken entree from Country Kitchen with more on my plate at $8. And the decor definitely does not match the prices. This decor belongs in a diner, not a supper club. They have those types of square diner tables and metal rimmed chairs and decor definitely lacking for those kind of prices. Looks like an old tavern type atmosphere. They actually have tenderloin entrees for $31! However, the waitress comes out looking like she's ready to clean the bathrooms. The ambiance definitely does not match the prices of the meals. Very disappointing.

2  Thank Tina P

Been to Richard's Restaurant and Bar? Share your experiences!