“Disappointed”

Michael's Supper Club
Ranked #6 of 160 Restaurants in Wausau
Cuisines: American, Soups, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: At Michael's Supper Club we have a great wine selection, fresh seafood, choice steaks, veal entrees, and delectable desserts.
Wisconsin
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

I always on the look out for a good steak and when I hit a new supper Club that's what I order and what most of my rating is for. We came in on a Saturday night and were seated right away. Service was fast and friendly all the way through. We both ordered steaks. Everything came quickly. The atmosphere was nice also. The steaks were below average flavor wise. They were cooked the way we ordered them. .. Just not very good. I would come again I just would order something else and see if I liked it better. For the prices I was just hoping for better.

2 Thank loves2travel24
Anna A, Manager at Michael's Supper Club, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
We thank you for writing a review and hope to see you again soon.

WI
“Still pretty good, but little off tonight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Another birthday gathering with the family on a Saturday night. Because we had kids we decided to dine early (5:30). Service at Michael's is ALWAYS good. This is probably the main reason we come back, time and time again. I have never had a disappointing meal until last night. I thought they had slipped a little. Maybe it was my choice of the entree, but even the appetizers were not spot on. We ordered appetizers:shrimp, mussels, and bruschetta. The mussels were not hot and the size of the mussels were really disappointing. The Cabernet was good and really enjoyed it. For the main meal we ordered:Crab cake, Beef Wellington, Duck, Filet, Ravioli. I had the duck which was average, not much to say. The 2 steaks were not cooked to order. Beef Wellington was pretty much raw. The Filet was ordered medium, but came medium rare. One of kids ordered the Filet, so he had no clue and ate it anyway. So it was not just one thing, but multiple misses. Maybe the cook was off tonight. Give him or her the benefit of the doubt. But consistency is what I liked about Michael's. Not to finish on a down note, I have to mention again that the service was excellent. Very prompt and professional. Still one of the best restaurants in Wausau.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank ChiKid60035
Anna A, Manager at Michael's Supper Club, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about your experience.
Posting the positive reinforces our goals.
Posting the negatives puts us in"high-gear" as we continue to strive to
make improvements in every area.
We look forward to seeing and serving you again soon.
Marshfield, Wisconsin
“Classic old school with new school presentations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

We went with reservations on a Saturday evening, table for four. Since my wife and I were early , and I was on crutches(fractured leg), we needed to check the layout , as it was our first visit here. We've driven by many times in the past during the day,and were looking at a higher end place to share an evening meal. Michael's has a cozy lounge area, low tables, horseshoe shaped bar for cocktails, and a corner group couch, Great for elevating the leg! We were seated at our appointed time in the main dining area, 20-25 tables. Carpeted floors, nice quiet room sound level,friendly atmosphere, no tables by the kitchen,(which was in a separate area), big plus! Their menu has a nice variety of favorites to suit most diners, and they will, I understand even prepare specials for vegans,etc. We, however, came for meat. Moderately priced wine list , with glass options available. We selected a Greg Norman Estates,very reasonably priced, and nicely served. The chef(s) go for incorporating local produce into the salads, and there is no canned bulk vegetables in their dishes, unlike 90% of the area's competition. We were very happy with the prepared freshness of the whole meal. Our server was also attentive to the timing of service, so as to allow all of us to finish soup and salads before the serving of the entrees. Very nice, no bum's rush to whip out a meal . In my opinion, if you are paying for a higher end meal, you should not feel rushed to enjoy it.
Most of their clientele when we were there, were over 50, and many appeared to be regulars, Repeat business is a great indicator of local approval. One of the owners came to our table at the end of our meal to check in, and reminded us of a special night in October featuring German style dishes, in addition to their regular menu. Three of us had steaks and my brother's wife had seafood. We were all very satisfied with the results. As we were well served, we did not try any of the desserts offered on their cart,but they looked tempting, and we had had enough for a full night's dining If I had any suggestions to the owners, it would be to provide a hat check, as my wife and I were reluctant to park our $300 hats on a coat rack next to the front entrance, where we could not see them!! I've seen restaurants bring mini coat trees to table side to accommodate this. Even placing them in a secure room, with a claim token would work. At any rate, the owner did park my crutches where we could see them. Don't get me wrong, I don't infer by any means that this restaurant has any security issues, it's just that I have lost a very expensive cashmere overcoat in one instance, and don't expect that it won't happen again, But people can be stupid and dishonest anywhere, and I am reluctant to be a victim of garment theft again!! In all, we enjoyed the experience, will return again when in area,,,,,and can always leave our hats in the car!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Weekendramblers
Anna A, Manager at Michael's Supper Club, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Thank You So Very Much.
Taking the time to write a review ( an excellent one at that ! ) means a lot to all of us here at Michaels. We look forward to your next visit.
p.s. We do have a small, more secure coat room next to the dining room entrance. Please
ask your host, server or bartender to point it out to you.
Have a perfect day. And Thanks again.
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Always outstanding!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had dinner here with our friends last evening. Chef Adam prepared a vegetarian entree for me and my husband had the walleye. Both entrees were superb. We always enjoy dining at Michael's.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank Sally H
Anna A, Manager at Michael's Supper Club, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Thanks for the awesome review and your continued patronage. Glad you enjoyed.
It is a pleasure serving you and we look forward to seeing you again.

Thank You Very Much.
“Wow!! A DINING experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We came here because it was ranked # 2 in Wassau. Should be # 1!!
Had chicken saltimboca!! Outstanding! Wife had pasta bolognese outstanding too!
Service (Alicia) excellent! Owner came by to ask about our experience! None of this is the "norm" in my experience in WI!
Highly recommend this restaurant!
JNB

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Mrnjen
Anna A, Manager at Michael's Supper Club, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
What more can we say than Thank You! Very glad you enjoyed Michaels as much as we do.
Looking forward to seeing you again.