“Great food, good timing...”

Michael's Supper Club
Ranked #10 of 165 Restaurants in Wausau
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: At Michael's Supper Club we have a great wine selection, fresh seafood, choice steaks, veal entrees, and delectable desserts.
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Found the restaurant in the AAA book when passing through Wausau for business. If you want great food and a relaxed pace this is the place. I love scallops and we hit a day when scallops were on the special list along with grouper. My wife has to be gluten free and the staff and chef were very accomodating to the point of changing the form of the grouper from a prepared dish to simply baked. It was excellent! Her Caprese salad was fresh and nicely presented. She was very well pleased. My scallops were excellent also! ...and large as the special said they would be and very well prepared. Little room left to try dessert and they didn't really have many options for gluten free other than Sorbet. This was a very good experience for us.

1  Thank Bob S
Anna A, Manager at Michael's Supper Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

We are really glad you enjoyed your dinner with us. We look forward to seeing you during your
next trip to Wausau.

Anna A - Michaels Supper Club

There are newer reviews for Michael's Supper Club

Reviewed August 5, 2013

We came here with 5 in our group, 3 young adults and ourselves, older adults. My husband and I are very picky and selective with our fine dining experiences and meals as we have grown older. The ambiance of the restaurant was soft and pretty but needed a little bit more lighting as I couldn't make out the menu. We were seated by an owner which was very nice to see someone taking a personal interest in his customers. Very commendable trait. He recited their dinner specials to us and then we were told that our server would be with us shortly. We had a sweet, elder gentlemen whom we recognized from a restaurant he previously worked at. He then recited the specials again that the other gentleman had already read off to us, which was a bit odd but okay. The drink menu was very small which is disappointing. The wine menu had it's own book and the back side of the drink menu which was only 5 x 7 in size. I'd like to see a better drink menu next time we visit offering a chocolate martini and a variety of sweeter drinks (not with limeade, lemonade or cranberry which are tart to us connoisseurs of sweet beverages). Our drink orders were taken and two of the drinks were delivered to the table and he said he had to go back and get the others. I thought he would have taken our orders right away as we had been there for a while but he went off to get the other drinks and then came and got our orders. Everyone was happy with their soups and salads, as well as with their entrees. The entrees were very pleasingly displayed and more importantly, had very good flavor. We all even ordered dessert which took quite a while, but was worth the wait. Just like the dinners, exquisitely done. I liked the ambiance of the restaurant, while my husband thought it a little dated, but I think it's worth building upon. The service was a little slow but he was a good server, thought maybe he could have used a little help perhaps. I look forward to coming back and seeing more improvements made. It's a lovely little restaurant, they have very good food and their prices are very reasonable. I look forward to seeing them continue to perfect it all and they are off to a great start! Great staff, very personable and friendly.

1  Thank Tina P
Anna A, Manager at Michael's Supper Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Our staff, here at Michael's would like to thank you greatly for visiting our establishment and taking the time to write about your experience. We look forward to reading reviews so we can work on any negatives and accentuate the positives.

We look forward to serving you and yours again soon.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I visited this place with family for a birthday dinner due to the high rank on TripAdvisor. Being an avid user, I had to find out - is this place really worth it? The short answer is yes, but the long answer details why I disagree with the current ranking of #1 on here.

The venue is very easy to get to, though possible to miss if you aren't watching carefully. The outside of the building looks more like a small hobby store than a restaurant. Parking is plentiful, and you walk right in to the hosting table.

Our reservations were handled well and we were immediately escorted to our table by one of the owners. It was nice to have an owner directly involved and who was knowledgeable about the night's specials. However, his explanation was a little long-winded and ended up being repeated almost verbatim by our server. I would opine that if the information is that important, they should print out a list of the night's specials to include at each table, as it is easy to miss details when hearing four different entrees in a row.

The drink menu is very limited unless you're into wine, which they have an extensive selection of. The food menu is also fairly small and limited in options, especially if you're not big into seafood. I had their chicken saltimbocca, which was very good. I also tried an oriental beef soup that was excellent, despite the heavy reliance on vegetables. The only downsides of the meal were the potatoes which were bland and dry. Their cheesecake dessert was excellent and well worth the $6 unlisted price tag.

The atmosphere of the venue is elegant, though the light was a bit dim for a couple members of the group to see their menus. Nothing jumped out at me as particularly unique decoration-wise, but that is to be expected of a supper club. Also notable is that the entrees range from about $18-40, as the prices are not included on their online menu.

The real downside of the night - the slow service. Although Frank was very polite and knowledgeable, two things stood out to me. First is that the desserts took an unusually long time to come out; nearly as long as our entrees. Second is that after the dessert, whereas most venues would bring the bill, we saw Frank cleaning tables and assisting others as we sat with empty plates. We had to request the bill from the hostess. With these delays, our meal took slightly over two hours, much of which was spent waiting for drinks and dessert. Neither of the delays seemed like they were held up by the kitchen, but the venue did not appear busy enough to justify the service delays.

I would still prefer the Back When Cafe downtown for their wider food and drink selections and outstanding service. If looking for elegance, either the Back When Cafe, or a venue like Basil in Schofield or Iozzo's in Weston provide better options. Michael's is a good place that I wouldn't decline returning to, but I would suggest other venues first.

1  Thank hend6
Anna A, Manager at Michael's Supper Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2013

Thanks much for your review. We appreciate all the detail and the time it took to share it.
Our entire staff is heavily involved in reading each and every review and coming up with a solution to any negatives.

We are looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Perfect for taking your wife or a party if you want fast service and insanely great food. Michael's has excellent staff and they do an excellent job. They sea food is like your eating it fresh from the ocean. Chief Adam is unbelievable with his cooking skills, I couldn't be more impressed with anything. Make sure you stop by get something to eat here!

1  Thank restaurantchecker101

Thank you very much.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The food and presentation of the dishes, I found were better than any high end restaurant in the big cites. The atmosphere was great and relaxed from the bartender to Frankie our waiter.Chef Adam made sure to come out of the kitchen to ask how our meal was. I can't say enough good things about Michael's. All I left to say is if you come to the Wausau area this must be put on your list on places to experience, you will NOT be disappointed!

1  Thank Paula S
Anna A, Manager at Michael's Supper Club, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2013

Thanks for moving to Wausau.....we all love it here and we are sure you will too.
We are honored you took the time to let everyone know about your experience at Michaels.
Enjoy your new home. Looking forward to serving you again ( and Again ).
Thank You so very much.

The Staff at Michaels Supper Club

Been to Michael's Supper Club? Share your experiences!