“Excellent Rooms, Nice Restaurant, but....”

Jefferson Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Wausau
Reviewed January 24, 2010

We booked a mid-December trip to this hotel after reading the reviews here and hearing similar comments from friends who must go to Wausau for family reasons.
It was my dad's 80th birthday, so we booked a great rate, enjoyed the comfortable room, was pleased to see there was an OK fitness center.
We even booked the big family birthday dinner at City Grill, the hotel's restaurant, where the staff and food were much better than expected.
However -- and this is a BIG however -- when my brother called the day of the birthday party sick in bed with the flu (remember H1N1?) he asked me to cancel his reservation because he could not budge out of bed much less come to Wausau. The desk clerk said he would be charged, because we have a 24-hour cancellation policy, which was never explained to me when I made room reservations.
Still, I underscored: HE HAS THE FLU. Do you want a flu bug in your hotel? "You'll have to take it up with the manager on Monday." I called the manager that Monday. Got her voice-mail. No call was returned. I emailed her the next day. No response. One month later, still no word.

So, enjoy the rooms, the restaurant, the amenities, the cleanliness, but don't expect big city service here until the management learns how to handle guests and passes that skill along to the rest of the staff.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed December 29, 2009

My husband and I came to Wasau to go snowboarding at Granite Peak over the xmas break and was pretty happy with our stay. The only thing that was annoying is that the hotel's restaurant and room service was closed on Xmas day..... kinda wish we had knew this before driving 6 hours. We were forced to eat at a nearby sports bar. Not great.
Otherwise, the rooms were comfortable and very clean. There is a very small indoor pool and sauna that were nice to use in the evenings. I think this is probably the best option for lodging in the area.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2009

The Jefferson Street Inn in downtown Wausau, WI, offers an unique combination of central city location, helpful staff, good conference facilities, great food and the nicest hotel room I have had in a long time. Free wireless Internet, too.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 21, 2009

The inviting lobby and receptionists start the vacation off right and the surprise of the luxurious rooms set the mood for a very intimate weekend for the two of us. The suite was large yet cozy with a very comfortable bed and double whirlpool tub. We enjoyed it so much that we never even left the room for almost the whole weekend except to enjoy the fabulous meals at the City Grill attached to the hotel and an afternoon at the spa down the hall. In the middle of winter, it was so convenient to have these things attached to the hotel so we didn't have to feel the chill of the winter air in order to dine or shop. With such a friendly and helpful staff and clean, comfortable rooms, we will certainly be returning for future anniversaries.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Problems began right away. Upon check in, my wife was overcharged. She was attending an EMT training conference, and I came along to keep her company. Goverment Buisness Rate was supposed to $70 per night. The clerk stated because of "double occupancy" they were charging us an extra $58, which came directly out of our pockets. In 6 years of attending her conferences, and she attending mine (two-three per year) this has never happened. When I inquired about this, the clerk was blunt, rude, and uncompromising, and stated it was "hotel policy".

Continental Breakfast was terrible. Tiny selection, poor quality. Of course, if you wanted to pay their inflated prices you could order off the hot menu. There was ONE elevator to get to our room on the fourth floor. At one point, it stopped working and the clerk (the same one who ripped us off initially) had to reset it. At one point we waited nearly 5 minutes for the elevator, along with a bunch of other guests. Parking is poor, barely any spaces in front of the building, but you can park in the parking garage some distance away. Our "do not disturb" sign was stolen first morning we were there.

We will never return, and a complaint was made to the people who set up the conference. Apparently, they know this place sucks, as they have already made arrangments to hold the conference in Stevens Point next year.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
4  Thank upnorthlad
IDMGHotelMgmt, Manager at Jefferson Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2009

Thank you for staying at the Jefferson Street Inn! We are of course concerned to learn that this guest considered their stay unsatisfactory. Their experience is not typical of the majority of our guests, nor reflective of the comments we have received from other guests in this group.

We welcome observations and feedback from our guests, and are reviewing these comments to make sure that all areas of service at the Jefferson Street Inn will continue to meet and exceed our high standards of service and guest satisfaction.

We are pleased to offer special rates to military personnel and government employees who are staying with us while traveling on official business. The special rate mentioned was specially arranged for in advance with the event organizers, including the charges for additional room occupants. These charges were widely communicated to participants before their arrival.

The Jefferson Street Inn in Wausau is one of several conference facilities in several communities, among which this event is rotated each year. We are pleased that the Jefferson Street Inn will continue to be the preferred host for this training conference, when it returns to Wausau in 2011 or 2012.

Reviewed August 9, 2009

Stayed here while at a work conference -- my site paid for my stay, otherwise I think there'd be no way I could have afforded it otherwise. So, if you've got the dough and are easily impressed, I'd book a room.

Had a king sized bed (only used a third of it), lounge on the couch, stared at the minibar and candy drawer but didn't buy anything because it was outrageously priced. It was fun to look, though.

My only real concern was that there were no stairs that were easy to use and access the first floor without having to go outside. I prefer taking the stairs and didn't like to depend on the elevator.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed May 10, 2009

Was delighted by the friendly & helpful staff who greeted me (and my dog) each time I accessed the lobby. The only complaint? I may have to exercise my dog more when I get home...he may have gained weight with all the treats the staffed bestowed on him. Oh well, I DID give permission. Woulde DEFINATELY stay again!

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends