“Upscale Hotel in Middle of City”

Jefferson Street Inn
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Wausau
Reviewed March 10, 2009

My husband booked this hotel for our anniversary and first trip away from home after having our first child. We wanted to be close to Rib Mountain for skiing. Very nice, clean hotel room with king bed, sitting area, and great view of Rib Mountain ski hill. Also were right across the street from the mall, although we didn't go. Decided to have dinner at the hotel restaurant which was excellent. As a surprise, my husband booked a massage for me at the little shopping area attached to the hotel which had a day spa. They had a 10% off deal and a free foot soak if you booked when staying at the hotel. Nice touch. My only complaint would be that if the workout room is open 24 hours a day, why does the pool close at 11pm? I suppose most people may be there on business and therefore wouldn't use the pool later?

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 12, 2009

This is probably the most expensive hotel in the Wausau area, and after reading all the reviews (including those from some who seem to have had some problems) I booked a room just to "try it". The jacuzzi tubs and fireplaces along with the in-room microwave and refrigerator were top of my list of amenities for a romantic weekend.

After spending two days there I have to say that I can't understand why the negative reviews. The rooms were first rate and the staff absolutely wonderful. The hot breakfast option at the morning continental was an extra charge but freshly prepared, hot, and delicious!

The fireplaces are electric not wood or gas but gave a very nice atmosphere and even a little heat, and did not leave a very large carbon footprint, which certainly is important to some people these days.

The suite we rented was very nice, spacious, with a couch, chairs, a desk, and a small sink near the microwave and refrigerator. We had a little trouble learning to use the thermostat on the wall to control the heat, but a very pleasant and helpful lady at the front desk talked us through it and then we were fine.

The bed was a wonderful king size, with five (five!) plush pillows plus two more in the closet, along with an extra blanket. Most places I've stayed have very flat motel quality pillows and I have to ask for more so I can watch tv in comfort. All in all it was one of the nicest beds I've slept on in a hotel, and I travel quite a bit.

The jacuzzi was a little small for two full-size people like us, but still very nice. The housekeepers were friendly and thorough. We called the desk for extra towels and they were brought up right away.

The on premises restaurant had a fairly upscale menu and prices to match, but the food was delicious and the server very friendly and helpful. There were several downtown bars and dining options within easy walking distance, and a full indoor mall just next door.

The downtown is cozy and charming. The Grand Theater is just a block up the street, which makes this a great place if coming in for a show. I was told that most of the performers coming to the Grand do stay at the Jefferson. The desk clerk told me several big names that I recognized. I don't know if any of them stayed in the suite we were in, but the clerk said that the biggest stars often stay in the suites.

This wasn't Chicago or even New York, and I've stayed in better and worse places in both that charged a lot more and gave me a lot less. The city parking ramp next door was ridiculously cheap compared to most cities, and the connecting skywalk made access to our car quick and easy.

I will definitely stay there again and would recommend it to anyone. As for those who reported a less-than-stellar experience, perhaps it was their expectations or just bad luck. A bit expensive for anyone used to a Super 8, but well worth the trip!

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank MadisonFive
Reviewed January 10, 2009

I traveled to Wausau with my dog for a dog show and was pleased to discover that the Jefferson Street Inn was a 'pet friendly' hotel, with class.

I travel quite a bit for work and pleasure and have never stayed in a hotel that treated my dog SO well. Not only did I appreciate the beautiful accomodations, excellent food at City Grill, spa and Aveda products in room but upon arrival, my dog was treated to food and water bowls, bottled water and gourmet treats! We won that weekend....maybe the treatment had something to do with it!

The Jefferson Street Inn exceeded all of my expectations and I highly recommend this hotel to all!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2009

This is an comfortable hotel at most. Actually somewhat overpriced, and overrated by a number of the reviews.

Check in smooth,

One bedroon suite ok, with so- so furniture, cheap tv's, and a lame excuse for a fireplace.

Large sink area, and jucuzzi in bedroom area. However toliet and shower with plastic curtin in a tiny closet .

In the week I was there, housekeeping did not see fit to vacum bedroom, as something stayed on the bedroom floor the entire time I was there. It became a joke with me, and I even mentioned it to the front desk several times, with no resolve.

Free breakfast.....day old danish, and canned fruit.

Nice restaurant with attractive but overpriced bar.

Upon checkout, they tried to charge me for parking in the city lot, I have a handcapped sticker, so they did after a little talk remove that charge.

Stay again ? No, I don't think it was worth the price.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank Daddybythesea
Reviewed December 29, 2008

I made a reservation about a month in advance for the suite with living room, kitchen and one bedroom (3 nights stay). Also reserved the adjacent connecting room with another king bed. The day before our planned arrival, on December 28th, 2008, the North Branch of the Chicago River began to crest. The River is two blocks from my home and we experienced severe flooding in September that cost us $25,000 (all but $7K covered by insurance) of damage.

With the rapid snow melt (temperatures went from the 20’s to the high 50’s in one day) and rain all day, the entire region was on flash flood alerts. The city began dropping trucks of sand, shovels and empty sandbags at the end of the block. Bad news.

I called the hotel to explain that we had to man the sump pumps and sand bag detail and couldn’t leave the home. Didn’t matter to them…policy is I loose that nights rate on both rooms. Asked if I can use it as a credit for the next evening…the reservationist said NO. Asked if I could get a credit for a future stay….NO.

I understand policy and procedures; I operate a service company with 105 technicians in homes and business’. However, flexibility and understanding in extreme cases such as the flooding of a client’s home would be nice.

They made there decision and now I make mine. A poor review in TripAdvisor and I will let everyone I know about this situation. My family is planning a trip to the area in February and will choose another hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank Otto
Reviewed December 18, 2008

Jefferson Street Inn is a high quality hotel.

The room I had was large, well-appointed and comfortable. The bed was deluxe. The room was quiet. I heard no noise all week.

The restaurant in the hotel -- the City Grille -- was very good. Excellent service and quality food.

The staff were very helpful and friendly.

I highly recommend it.

The only drawbacks:

-- parking across the street

-- strange design that required a transfer between elevators to get to my fifth floor room -- it was the result of refurbishing an old building and not a big deal

-- pool and exercise room open on a common hallway near first floor shops.

Overall, excellent.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2008

Our recent stay at the hotel was uneventful and pleasant.
I'd stay again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to stay again.
Our room was clean and well appointed. Love the Aveda products!
The robes were nice, although my husband thought they were "pokey"
The jetted tub was comfortable for 2 (and my husband is tall).
The "fireplace" is a fairly weak electric model.
If you plan to use anything from the mini bar make sure you check the dates, our OJ was expired.
We had dinner in the attached restaurant, it was awesome!
The 10 oz sirloin was amazing (with blue cheese crust YUM).
The drinks were a little expensive, $8 for a martini is a little much... but it was a very good martini.
The complimentary breakfast the next morning was not as nice.
The "fresh" fruit was either frozen or canned, but the coffee and bagels were nice, just not a very up scale selection compared to the dinner we had the night before.
We did venture down to the river walk after dinner and I was a little freaked out .. it was lit by street lights, but at one point I think we walked by teenagers "parking.. without the car" a little weird. Maybe only go during the day time.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wausau
Hampton Inn Wausau
Quality Inn Wausau
Quality Inn Wausau
#9 of 11 in Wausau
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Wausau

Been to Jefferson Street Inn? Share your experiences!