“First-rate Midwestern skiing”
Review of Granite Peak

Granite Peak
Ranked #2 of 33 things to do in Wausau
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I jskiied at Granite Peak for the first time in two years and found it better than ever. Went with a friend, who had never been here and was very impressed. By MIdwestern standards, it's a big mountain, both in vertical drop and in the number of runs. It has two high-speed lifts. It also has several terrain parks, which have the benefit of keeping skiiers and boarders mostly in separate areas (except on the lifts). Even on a very busy day, the lift waits are never more than a few minutes. The grooming is better than average (though not up to the Nubs Nob standard) -- Saturday I encountered no ice and Sunday only a few patches later in the day, after the groomers had been chewed up. The lift tickets are pricey by Midwestern standards, but I think it's worth the fare. For years Granite Peak been my first option whenever I have a couple of days to ski, and that's not about to change.

1  Thank illin0isguy

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We went for a weekend of skiing with 2 kids 8 and 10 yo. We signed up the 8 yo for ski lesson and 10 yo for snowboarding lesson. Both instructors seems really good, seems to want to teach kids how to ski. My 8 yo has never been on a lift before and the instructor even taught them how to do that. So I was satisfied with the lessons and tipped them well.

The slopes I thought we're nice, though we only did the greens. Very nice for beginners. We liked the long greens as compared to a place like Alpine Valley.

The only issue we had was how small the lodge is and on Sat and Sun, the place is jammed packed. So plan accordingly. Get there went it opens and eat lunch around 11am so that you can sit and eat. Otherwise, a great place to ski/snowboard.

2  Thank BeachVacationer2
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

I learned to ski here over 30 years ago. I took a road trip with my 8 year old twins to ski last weekend. It was a beautiful day, just after fresh snow, it was packed. We signed the kids up for an afternoon lesson, for 8 year olds they're decent skiers. We were promised before hand they wouldn't get stuck on the beginner hills. When we asked the ski instructor when we got there, he couldn't have been a bigger jerk. He complained about how little money he made, that he "practically had to change the kids diapers" and the parents didnt tip him. He went on and on, right in front of all the kids!! Our only question was about whether they were going to get off the bunny hills. Luckily my kids got put with a different instructor. I don't think this guy should be teaching, it left enough of a bad taste in our mouth for the place, I doubt we'll ever go back. I would avoid kids lessons here, it's not like it was cheap either.

1  Thank Alexandfriends
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I skied with three friends, all of us our 50's. two have only skied a few times. I used to ski quite a bit, but it has been years. We started on the bunny hill, which had a moving sidewalk, like at the airport. No tow rope. A few of us moved on to other runs, when we got our ski legs back. The lodge is comfortable, and had a nice cafeteria and bar.

1  Thank zerokat
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Been here multiple times from Chicago. Not a bad 5+ hr drive from Chicago and very good skiing considering it's in the midwest. Blues and Blacks were not really challenging except for the icy parts. Lifts were somewhat fast and for being President's Day Weekend with the crowds, the staff handled it really well. Cafteria has awesome popcorn chicken cheese curds, and hamburgers but expensive. Lift ticket with Adult/Child combo was a reasonable $70. People were friendly. Stayed at nearby Stoney Creek Inn and that was good as well. Definitely worth a trip if you can't fly out to Colorado.

Been to Granite Peak? Share your experiences!