“Excellent option in Wausau”

The Great Dane Pub and Brewing Co. Wausau
Ranked #6 of 162 Restaurants in Wausau
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Wausau, Wisconsin, United States
“Excellent option in Wausau”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Great Dane Pub always offers an excellent atmosphere and great food with every visit. The menu offers a wide variety of selection options.

Visited November 2012

Andover, Minnesota
“Okay, nothing great”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

After reading many reviews about this spot we decided to try it out for our New Year's Eve dinner. Stopped on the way back to Granite Peak's fireworks to put our name in, assuming there would be a long wait, and when we returned an hour later we were seated right away. Decor was fancier than I expected, and I was confused as to why all the servers wore different clothes, no set uniforms. Beer flight was okay, guess I'm just fine with mass produced brews. Cheese curds were disappointing, tasted frozen from a box, not hand battered. Rest of the food was fine, just nothing special. Nothing about our meal, beers, food, service, would make me rush back the next time we're in Wausau.

50onthego
“Great Experience!!!”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We went here on New Year's Eve. The food was fantastic, service was great, and the prices were standard. I ordered the steak au poivre (their special for the evening), and it was the best steak I have had in my entire life, and as my husband will tell you, I am a sincere carnivore with a strong, emotional attachment to my beef :). So this is truly a huge compliment. My husband had the shrimp with dirty rice, and it was also out of this world. We tried their "beer bread" and also very much enjoyed that.

Service was great and considering it was New Year's Eve and the place was really hopping, this was very commendable.

The menu is just so much fun to read! They have so many different and intriguing international offerings. I would normally worry that they wouldn't be able to do all of these things well, but judging from the food going by us, and from our selections, it sure looks like they do it all very well. There were so many things we wanted to try, I just hope we end up back in Wausau again someday to do so.

Want to be entertained? Go on line and read their menu "just for fun."

Highly recommend!!!

• Visited January 2013
Chicago
“Good fish fry & drinks”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Fish fry was good and the people were wonderful. This place seems to be under rated on this site!
We got fish fry, burger, drinks, and their beef jerky. It was all good. The serving size was large. We didn't finish our meals.

Elkhorn, Wisconsin, United States
“great selection and variety”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

enjoyed menu choices and beer selection, but the two most popular brews were out on a weekend evening - right before New Years.