“Wouldn't pick this hotel again”

Plaza Hotel and Suites
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Wausau
Chicago, Illinois
“Wouldn't pick this hotel again”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

My friend had booked this hotel for us when we went snowboarding at granite peak last march 2013. First, the parking in the lot was kind of awful. When we got into the hallway, the ceilings were leaking in multiple spots.

I don't remember much about the rooms since it was awhile ago, but I do remember they just seemed old and needed a bit of updating. The pool area was kind of cool and one of the workers let us stay in the pool later than it was supposed to be open which was nice. I believe there was also a free breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed January 6, 2014

On January 4, after driving 6 hours our family of 5 arrived at the Plaza Hotel. We were assigned our 2 rooms. While in the 1st room, we noticed the lock on the outside sliding door had been previously broken and tampered with and would not lock. Also, the door handle to our room did not catch and the door did not close behind us, so we had to make sure to pull the handle tightly each time. We called the front desk and a maintenance person was sent to our room. The maintenance person agreed that with both of these doors not working properly we should be assigned a different room. Then the 2nd room, the door would not open properly when the card was put in, we had to keep putting the card in the door many times , sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn’t.

We were assigned 2 other rooms. In the 3rd room once again the door handle would not close properly and would stay open as we left the room. In the 4th room, you could not open the door after putting the card in multiple times. Once again, these 2 rooms as the previous 2 rooms were safety issues.

Now we were assigned to 2 other rooms. In the 5th room, again when you put the card in the door, it would not open, and had to keep putting the card in the door multiple times and sometimes it would open, sometimes it wouldn’t. Also the main light in the room did not work, and the microwave did not work. In the 6th room everything seemed to be working okay.

We went back to the front desk and asked the front desk person what we should do since 5 of the 6 rooms had safety issues. She (the front desk person) got aggravated and called in the front desk manager (there was no manager at the Hotel on this night). When the front desk manager arrived, he was already in a bad mood and did not introduce himself to us, was rude to us, never apologized to us for all the trouble and inconvenience that we went through. The front desk manager denied there were any problems and told us there was no pleasing us. We said that we are not hard people to please and that these were safety issues in the 5 of out 6 rooms that were assigned to us and we did not feel safe staying in them. The front desk manager threw up his hands, denied there were any problems and told us to leave.

After all the years of traveling and going on vacations with our children (who are now young adults) we had never experienced anything like this or been treated so terrible. At this point, we were happy to leave the hotel, as this front desk manager definitely had a temper.

We left and went to the Hampton Inn. When we got there the front desk person said we looked tired. We told her how terrible our experience was at the Plaza Hotel. She apologized about the Plaza Hotel and assured us our experience at the Hampton Inn would be enjoyable and stress free. And she sure was right. The 2 rooms we were assigned were great, not a thing wrong with them, everything worked properly, and they were clean. And the Hampton Inn is closer to Granite Peak Skiing too!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Caroline W

Travelers are raving about these Wausau hotels

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Our family of five booked two rooms this past weekend as we were going skiing at Granite Peak. The first two rooms we were assigned, one had a door that would barely open even after ten tries. While the other, had a broken lock to the sliding glass door that led outside (obvious safety hazard.) When we called the front desk to explain our fridges were also not working, the front desk lady rudely stated she would send someone up to fix them. The gentleman fixed our fridges and then explained how the room with the broken lock was a safety hazard and we should get a new room. The front desk lady explained how there were no more available rooms and we questioned what to do as we did not feel safe or comfortable in this room. To our surprise, 2 rooms "magically became available". The next two rooms we were assigned, also had "sticky doors" but no comforters on the beds and were dirty. When we called the front desk, the lady hung up on us and left us confused on what to do. We went downstairs to, once again, magically be assigned two more rooms (we are now at 6 rooms that were assigned to us. Clearly, the front desk lied as she stated there were no more rooms) these last 2 rooms set us over the limit. They had jammed doors, there were broken lights and the microwave did not work. The lady at the front desk was not apologetic or trying to help us with the situation. Finally, the manager, Robert, was called in who was quite upset he had to drive in from home. When he got there, he rudely answered to my dad who stated he only wanted a room that was a safe as he has his 3 kids with him all under the age of 25. As my dad stated we are not hard people to please, the manager threw his hands up in a rage at my family and stated that we were wrong and he was going to call the police if we did not leave. When we explained about the problems we ran into with the doors, the lock, microwave, etc. the manager shook his head the entire time. We were not rude, only explaining that these are all safety hazards at his hotel and we only wanted a safe room. Robert kept throwing up his hands yelling how we were wrong. We finally left and went to stay at the Hampton Inn where they were apologetic to how awful our experience at the Plaza was and made sure our stay was perfect. I will make sure EVERY person knows how awful this hotel was and to never, NEVER consider this hotel. It was without a doubt, a nightmare.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Wausau, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We moved to Wausau in Jan 2012 & had not found a home. We stayed at the Plaza because of the rate we were given for a week ($50 a night, I think) & the fact that it had a restaurant, indoor pool, & washer/dryers. The staff was friendly, the rooms were comfy & clean & the pool area was great. The pool area is huge. There is a large pool, a huge hot tub & a large kiddie pool. There are tons of tables around the pool & many of the rooms open up to the pool area. There is a game room as well & a nice restaurant/bar. The lobby is large & there are extra tv's down there. There is also a continental breakfast. I was a nice, clean & comfy hotel & I would stay there again

Room Tip: I would ask for a room near the pool if you have kids
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I was sad to see so many negative reviews! While The Plaza is in need of a little updating, I have only ever had positive experiences there. My company has held our annual banquet there every year since 2009, when we switched from another venue. Each year our event gets better and better, and that is due in a large part to the readiness of the staff to assist us in any way they can. I look forward to seeing them each year; their smiling faces and friendly manner make it a joy to work with them. This year my bosses had considered moving on again to a new location, but after our banquet they unanimously agreed we should stick with The Plaza as long as possible. We receive fantastic treatment, the food is excellent, and the prices are so reasonable. We have well over 200 people attend our banquet each year - the only complaints I ever hear from them is that the rooms need updating. I believe The Plaza is currently working on that issue, so I stick with my opinion that this place is great! If you're looking for a place to have a successful conference, I highly recommend The Plaza.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 12, 2013

We arrived in Wausau to visit my Grandma in the hospital. We needed a room to stay in for the night without having to travel much farther. We tried the Days Inn, but they would not accept checks. So we chose to try the Plaza Hotel & Suites and the front desk said that they would accept a check as payment for the room. Thank You!!!

• Stayed August 2013
Hurley,Wisconsin
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My wife had a cardiac event and was transported to Aspiris Wausau hospital. The Plaza was one of the hotels that offered discounts to lodgers having relatives staying at the hospital. My suite was located in the Tower portion of the hotel and had a refrigerator and microwave included. After 3 nights my daughters joined me for 4 nights and the hotel moved me to a room with 2 beds for no additional charge. The continental breakfast offered to lodgers was the best I have experienced in all my travels and Anthony the attendant there was the kindest and most helpful person I could have hoped for. The hotel even gave me a second discount for staying there after 7 days. The amenities include a workout area with separate saunas for men and women, a swimming pool and hot tub and children's pool.This is a top notch notch hotel and I would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: I was located in the tower portion of the hotel and was very impressed by the quality. Had a friend...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family