“Trendy and unique with a decent wine list.”
Review of City Grill

City Grill
Ranked #7 of 162 Restaurants in Wausau
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The City Grill is where you can get a good steak but don't need to dress up to eat it. Housed in the beautiful downtown Wausau, it's a revolving door of locals seeking fine dining in a trendy atmosphere decorated in local art. The City Grill hosts live music once a week and is a great place to take a date, meet friends for appetizers or just watch the game with friends. And while the fillets and martinis taste top dollar, we promise they won't empty your pocketbook. In addition, City Grill offers banquet facilities, located on the 2nd floor of building. Our professional planners will help you choose the hall to accommodate your guests and will help you plan a personalized reception or meeting. Whether hosting 2 guests or 400, the City Grill & Jefferson Street Inn is the perfect venue for corporate events, board retreats, holiday parties, rehearsal dinners, showers, gift openings and brunches. Our personalized service ensures that every detail is carried out according to your specific taste and style.
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Trendy and unique with a decent wine list.”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

When we eat at City Grille I consistently order the sea bass because it is delicious.
This is a great place to eat, drink, chat. Not the place to watch a game on TV.
Good location, uniquely decorated. Great for date night dinner and drinks.

• Visited March 2014

Toronto, Canada
“Hotel dining at the Jefferson”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

The City Grill is the Jefferson Street Inn's onsite restaurant. The place is nice. Decent decor and mainly hotel guests.
The small bar area has five draughts and a decent wine list. The menu has a decent cross section of proteins and veggies. Yes - it's a "decent" place.
I had the steak and asked for it to be done medium. When in the US, you can't go wrong with a good cut of beef - well - sort of. The steak came in med-well to well and was covered in a salty glaze. I would have had it re-fired or chose another item, but I was at a function with some new colleagues and it was their suggestion for the hotel and the restaurant.
The appetizers were good and so were the desserts but the review should be about the main course and it was disappointing.
As this is the Inn's dining room, they also served breakfast, it's a serve yourself continental. Cereals, grains, breads, muffins, fruits - all sugars and carbs. I don't think a full vial of insulin could ward off diabetes from a breakfast like that. It would have been great to have an all American breakfast in a place like this.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank WearyWanderer_TO
Chicago, Illinois
“Easter brunch food, food handling and service were all terrible.”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

We didn't know where to go for Easter brunch so we took a chance on City Grille. This was a huge mistake. The hotel ballroom space with its high ceilings had some appeal at first. Tables were jammed together, and often dirty dishes gathered on tables as guests left. In the middle of this space long tables were pushed together covered in white tablecloths. On these tables were the usual aluminum serving containers for food.

Desserts, many still on foam plates from a grocery store, were dry and not appealing. Unchaperoned kids grabbed desserts from the dessert table leaving crumbs and drips of a sweetened frozen strawberry sauce everywhere. The serving trays had dry pork with Brussels sprouts, dried out fish and other dishes that were dry and unappetizing. No bread, biscuits or rolls were served. Salads were not fresh, the smoked fish was picked over on one side revealing the fish skeleton but never turned over. In fact none of the food was replenished very often leaving diners looking around for servers who rarely came to restock empty trays.

In addition the cost was $23 per person plus a 19% banquet tax plus local tax. I asked the server about the "banquet tax" since this was not a banquet. He said it was the gratuity. When he ran my credit card, sure enough, there was a place for a tip. I crossed it out. It seemed they had inexperienced help from food planning and training through servers who didn't have a clue what to do. Skip this place there are others in Wausau far more satisfying.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank travelingwriter101
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Was fine till the end.....”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

On Monday, the 10th, a friend and I decided to go to City Grille for dinner. I have dined here in the past and haven't been that impressed by the service, but I keep wanting this place to be great so I gave it another shot. We were promptly seated in the dining room and placed in the care of our server. He was very friendly and prompt. Our dinners came out hot and had a lovely presentation. The filet was great, you can cut it with a fork!! Overall great meal. We had decided to finish our drinks at the bar. What a mistake. There were only a handful of people in the bar so it wasn't overly busy. We would have stayed and had another round of drinks if it wasn't for being completely ignored by the bartender. She had been too preoccupied talking to other people at the bar to be bothered apparently. A couple of times she had looked at our empty drinks in front of us and looked away. Was she pretending not to see them? Not sure. So after deciding that my friend and I apparently arent going to be served, we asked for our bill. 20 minutes later, when the bill still had not arrived, we gently reminded the bartender that we needed our bill. All we got was a snide comment about how " I guess thats my job now" with an eye roll. How rude! We paid the bill promptly and left. I sincerely hope that City Grille trains their staff better than that. Part of the dining experience is being treated kindly and professionally by the staff, and she was neither. Like I said, dinner was great, bar service left a lot to be desired. Not sure if I feel like trying this place again.

• Visited March 2014
3 Thank Harley G
Ashley R, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this review, February 9, 2015
Hello Harley, I wanted to reach back out to thank you for your time to give us your feedback. As we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing. Over the past year, we have really focused our efforts on training behind the bar. I truly hope you give us another opportunity to give you a great experience from beginning to end.
Sacramento, California
“Delicious food creatively presented, prompt, courteous servers, quiet atmosphere.”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

Great food, great service, great location downtown Wausau.
Private parties a specialty. Catering manager is
marvelous; creative, thoughtful and professional.
Well-organized and prompt, a considerate communicator.
Offers fresh and unique selections.
Lively Saturday nights offer live music, warm atmosphere
after supper with late night appetizers and yummy bar snacks.
A warm, cozy place to go on a cold night.
Safe, well-lit parking in 2 nearby lots as well as the street right outside.
Located in the lobby of the Jefferson Inn Hotel. We have dined here
often with family, as well as numerous business dinners and celebratory
functions. Recently we attended a large, private farewell party which
was the nicest such function we've ever attended. Guests raved about the
unique foods: appetizers, dessert, sliced meat station, wine selections.

• Visited January 2014