“Variety is the spice of life!”
Review of City Grill

City Grill
Ranked #5 of 162 Restaurants in Wausau
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The City Grill is where you can get a good steak but don't need to dress up to eat it. Housed in the beautiful downtown Wausau, it's a revolving door of locals seeking fine dining in a trendy atmosphere decorated in local art. The City Grill hosts live music once a week and is a great place to take a date, meet friends for appetizers or just watch the game with friends. And while the fillets and martinis taste top dollar, we promise they won't empty your pocketbook. In addition, City Grill offers banquet facilities, located on the 2nd floor of building. Our professional planners will help you choose the hall to accommodate your guests and will help you plan a personalized reception or meeting. Whether hosting 2 guests or 400, the City Grill & Jefferson Street Inn is the perfect venue for corporate events, board retreats, holiday parties, rehearsal dinners, showers, gift openings and brunches. Our personalized service ensures that every detail is carried out according to your specific taste and style.
Reviewed December 19, 2013

I was with a party of 3 and we were sat immediately. We got there kinda early, about 4pm, so the dinner specials hadn't started yet. That's OK cause the menu was grand by itself. The waiter was very helpful and patient answering questions we had and even made a few suggestions. If he wasn't sure he asked, we were very satisfied. The menu had a lot to offer. We ordered the BBQ Chicken nachos to start off, the server said they were "a pretty good size", it was a mountain! And they were delicious. I had the chicken piccata as did my friend. Other person ordered the zucchini and yellow squash pasta and the last person ordered a bowl of chili. The chicken piccata was delightful. It was light but still filling. The noodles were cooked proper, the chicken was a little crispy but still moist on the inside and the sauce wasn't too buttery and not too garlic powered, the capers went well with it. Asparagus came with and was still crunchy, no mid-west veggie mush here. My friend said the zucchini pasta was seasoned perfect as was the chili. The chili comes with sour cream and cheese on top so if that's not your thing ask for it plain.

Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Good food, stiff drinks, nice wait staff
Can't go wrong with this place, the hotel is fantastic too, nice amenities, clean will go there again for sure

Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I went to the City Grille to celebrate her birthday. We had a reservation and were seated promptly. Our server was very attentive and explained the specials to us. We started out with drinks and an appetizer. We had their spinach artichoke dip served hot with pita bread. It is outstanding; we have had it several times. I had a steak that was cooked to perfection. I took a leap and tried their pesto risotto. Although I like both separately, the combination was very strange. My wife had the salmon and that was moist and excellent as well. Unfortunately, we've never had room to try their desserts. Someday we will just stop in for drinks and dessert. The atmosphere is outstanding and I wouldn't hesitate recommending this for a special occasion, or just an everyday dinner.

1  Thank BadgerFan16
Ashley R, General Manager at City Grill, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Thank you for sharing this great experience. I am delighted to hear we were able to be apart of your wife's birthday celebration. I would highly recommend the Vanilla Bean Crème brulee on your next drinks & dessert visit.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had a big birthday group come in and besides missing taking the order on one whole table.we had to sit way apart from each other and the servers were nice very excited to wait on a big group.
The food was not good,it was cold and greasy and not worth the $$.

1  Thank Holly B

Holly, My apologies for the confusion and error with your dinner order. I assure you that is not our standard of service and hope that you give us another opportunity to provide the service and experience that you would expect from the City Grill. I would be happy to discuss this further with you, if you would contact me at 715-848-2900. Thank You

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Wonderful wedding anniversary meal for two at the City Grille. Cooking was expert even early on Sunday evening. Crab cakes and the rich sauce remoulade had the hint of horseradish (along with other flavors) that really pops the crab taste. Gorgonzola crust on the strip steak was a great accent. Short ribs truly tender, dense, meaty: like pot roast that's gone to heaven. Presentation of all was nicely done with greens, herbs or sides.

Good beer selection and bartender knew her craft (tasty yet effective 21st Century martinis); good thing we were staying at the hotel and didn't need to drive!

Been to City Grill? Share your experiences!