“Terrible customer service”
Review of Rib Mountain Inn

Rib Mountain Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Wausau B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 8, 2011

A group of 12 friends and I wanted to reserve some villas for an upcoming ski trip. I talked with Brenda through email, and worked out that they had 2 villas available for the weekend we were looking at. I knew it was a holiday weekend so I double checked it was ok to stay 2 nights and not 3, and they confirmed that was fine. (2 nights was crucial because most of our group couldn't stay a full 3 nights because of work).

I call to make the reservations and everything is fine. Then, later that night I get an email in a document form I can't open on my computer. I finally find a way to view it and all it says is it's a 3 night minimum for that weekend. I quickly email again copying the conversation I had with Brenda and asking them to honor their 2 night agreement. A week passes and no response. I try to follow up but no luck. then a few days later I get 2 of the same generic automated email canceling my reservation.

What a complete waste of time and lack of customer respect. Needless to say not doing our business here.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lauren O
letsgonow333, General Manager at Rib Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2011

The only problem with the review is that the credit card they gave us was not able to make the required deposit. We tried calling and emailing them to get the required deposit. After 5 days we sent the email saying your reservation was cancelled due to no deposit.We went out of our way to let the holiday 3 night minimum(presidents weekend) be passed over. We regret the misunderstanding and are willing to accomodate them if they just return our call or email. However those our are last 2 rooms open and we can not hold them.

Reviewed January 17, 2011

Firstly, the price is right for this place. You pay for what you want and maybe a bit more. We rented a 6-person Townhouse* with a Jacuzzi. We paid a bit more very, very comfortably fit 8 people. Everyone got a bed and the pull-out sofa (bad shape) we didn't have to use.

-Bring your own wood (or buy a bundle for $5) and used the fireplace. It's nice.
-Full Kitchen with everything you need! This is a blessing!
-Jacuzzi is downstairs in the cave -- but is still very-much enjoyable.
-2 full bathrooms and very nice ones they are. Absolutely no complaints.
-Whether you stay in the townhouse or not, you get an amazing full breakfast (eggs, bacon, french toast, potato bits, quiche, yogurt...)!
-1 Car garage keeps the cold and the snow away from the car.
-You can probably walk to the hill (5 minutes?), but it's much easier to just make a very short trip in the car.
-They will clean your room and change your sheets every morning unless you ask otherwise.

*This is probably a lot different than renting a room in the main Inn.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blackstrype
Reviewed January 6, 2011

I and three friends stayed at Rib Mountain Inn in early January. We snowboarded three days, and stayed two nights at the Inn. The only major issue we had was a mix-up on a change in our reservations, but luckily they were able to give us the rooms they had promised us the month before. They even let us check in a few hours early.

Other than that mix-up, the Rib Mountain Inn is a great place to stay. It's the closest place to the mountain. Other reviews have made a big deal about the distance between the hotel and the lift, but it takes about three or four minutes to walk in boots and carrying boards. Definitely no big deal. Don't get me wrong, its definitely not a chalet on the mountain- but it is very conveniently located.

The free breakfast here is GREAT. They have a homestyle hot cooked breakfast buffet that rotates the food daily, as well as bagels, yogurt, cereal, etc., and milk and juice. VERY VERY good breakfast- one of the highlights of the stay.

Rooms were also newly renovated, very clean, and had new high-def tvs. Free Wifi. Pretty spacious for a base room, too. Also, we had a small pantry and a microwave and fridge for our personal use- saved a lot of money on lunch and dinner. Only downside is that our toilet was a bit slow to flush, but it worked out. The girl who cleaned our room when we were out did an awesome job- one of the best cleaned rooms I have stayed in.

Overall, the Inn has a very "bed and breakfast" feel to it, but in reality they have quite a few rooms. It's a good mix between bed and breakfast and hotel, I would say.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Ryguy32789
Reviewed April 16, 2010

I am so glad my old hotel stopped taking dogs because it allowed me to find this place! Instead of a small patch of grass next to a highway and parking lot, you have access to the trails of Rib Mountain. It is a beautiful location. The staff is very dog-friendly, too, even offering to walk my rottweiler if I didn't have time.
The rooms are compact. The mattresses are very firm. The bathrooms were small, but had fluffy, absorbant towels. The continental breakfast was very nice, and the staff offers to make waffles, eggs, and a choice of meats for you. All this for the same price as some of the least expensive places in the area. I am definately staying here every time I am in the Wausau area. Easily the best value I have ever found, and my dog liked it, too.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank cowsrtasty
Reviewed March 8, 2010

This was our first time skiing in Wisconsin and we wanted to stay near the slopes so we chose Rib Mountain Inn. It is a quaint little place tucked in a residential area with pretty scenery. I didn't think the walk to the slopes was bad at all. By the time you drive over there and park the walk can end up being about the same distance. The RMI was very clean (I'm a stickler about this) and the rooms were up to date and welcoming (we stayed in a basic VIP/hotel type room). There was a mini fridge and a microwave (which helps with the ridiculous price of lift tickets and food at Granite Peak). The hot tub was great and although I'm not a sauna person, my family enjoyed it. The breakfasts were fantastic. Now the only 2 complaints I have are the customer service (although Justin is GREAT). Brenda (I think that's her name) is sooooo rude!!! In fact, she was entertainingly rude. People around us were also snickering at her.... when asked by some customers for some blankets, she didn't answer them, but she disappeared, came back with some blankets, and pretty much threw them at them. When she was doing dishes during the breakfast hour, the look on her face was pure annoyance and disgust. And when anyone would set more dirty dishes at the bar for her to clean... she nearly went into heart failure. Her attitude is probably the worst I've ever seen in the customer service industry. I think she needs to find a new field and I'm positive there would be somebody more than willing to do a better job than her. Also, Ken is a good cook, but when bringing more food out to the buffet server, he also wore a sour look on his face. I don't think I heard him utter a word. Thank goodness Justin was there to buffer these 2 nasty people. However, when it comes down to it, we will be staying elsewhere in the future. If we hear that these 2 are gone or have found a way to improve the way they treat customers (maybe some mood stabilizers?? or some inpatient counseling?) we will consider returning.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank RN97BSN06
Reviewed January 12, 2010

We tried to check in early, no big deal the villa wasn't ready. Ken said to come back at 3. We went to store to buy groceries, very nice IGA store on the other side of the highway. Came back at 3 and still not ready. No problem it was cold enough that the food wouldn't spoil. I sat in the lounge area with complimentary coffee, tea, hot chocolate, muffins and a beautiful fireplace. The computer wasn't working but there was a big screen TV. By 4 I drove down to the villa and still the same mess was evident. One of the workers said it would be ready in 20 minutes. After 20 minutes it still wasn't even started! Then Ken got involved and started to clean it himself. The other cleaning staff came along. Speaking in Spanish about the owner and "Just look like you're busy", etc. They may want to check to see if guests know the language! Finally we moved in.
The rest of the group was off the mountain and wanted to relax. The villa was nice. The kitchen well stocked and the living room spacious. It had an electric fireplace that did heat the room nicely. The upstairs bedrooms need work. The master bedroom was big enough for two queen beds, but had only one with nothing in the extra space. Not even a chair. And the TV was on a small TV stand that should have been at a Motel 6. But it was clean and the bed was comfortable.
That evening the group went to use the hot tub in the main building. When asked if they could get towels Brenda threw the towels at them. During the last morning we were there, Brenda had a really sour look on her face the whole time and didn't offer a "good morning" to anyone. We got the strong impression she did not like her job.
The breakfasts were wonderful. Warm eggs, hash browns, busquits - a different variety every day. Ofcourse, cereals, toasts, muffins, and fruit.
Also the garage is a very nice touch with a villa rental. And there was a washer and dryer too.
All in all we had a terrific time. When we didn't deal with the staff everything was Excellent to Superior. Location is wlaking distance to Granite Peak lifts and close to Wausau. Our only problem was in the beginning with the room availablity. If the room isn't going to be ready when promised then just tell us, we could have made other arrangements. But the management needs to address the cleaning crews attitude and work ethic.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 12, 2009

The Rib Mountain Inn was everything we could have wanted for a quiet getaway. The staff were friendly and very accommodating. They were happy to stop by our room and show us how to use our wood-burning fireplace (yes, a REAL fireplace!), and even brought us more firewood. The room's decor was a bit outdated, but it was spacious, and included an immaculate full kitchen, with all the utensils and dishes you would need to prepare a meal for your family. The hot breakfast served in the morning was delicious, and gave us the energy we needed for a day of hiking at Rib Mountain State Park. The hotel grounds also have a beautiful walking trail that leads to Granite Peak, and from there you can walk right up the ski hill to the state park.
I can't say enough about this hotel. If you're looking for a romantic getaway, or even a weekend of hiking or skiing with your family, this is the place to stay. You can't beat the price, the customer service, or the size and cleanliness of the rooms.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wausau
Jefferson Street Inn
Grand Lodge Waterpark Resort
La Quinta Inn Wausau
La Quinta Inn Wausau
#5 of 11 in Wausau

Been to Rib Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!