“Excellant Stay”
Review of Super 8 Wausau

Super 8 Wausau
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Wausau

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Nice clean typical budget hotel. Stayed 2 nights over MLK weekend 2013. Bitter cold outside, but toasty warm inside.
Pool - was way too chlorinated. burned the eyes just from the vapors, but otherwise, hottub was not.
Food - breakfast was typical budget hotel breakfast. toastable stuff, fruit, cereals, waffles. they had a hot tray of biscuits and gravy but i didn't have it.
Super 8 is on the strip so walking distance to mcD's (about 10 feet away), jimmy johns, applebees...

Elevator to 2nd Floor - there is not one. so be aware.

Went skiiing at Granite Peak, which is some 8 seconds away, so super 8 was very convenient to the granite peak ski area.

Staff was super nice and very accomodating.

HINT: if you intend to stay longer than one night, bring your own humidifer for the room as they can get dry.

Would I stay again: yes.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Nick P, General Manager at Super 8 Wausau, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and to review your stay. I am glad to hear that you had a great experience. We understand you have many choices when coming to Wauau and we appreciate you giving us the opportunity to serve you.
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was with a large group of adults staying in Wausau to play in the adult Leinenkugel Hockey Tournament Jan. 11-13th, 2013. Check in was fine, the room was fine/clean (stayed on the 2nd floor). However.....

1. Granted this hotel has only 2 leves, how does this place NOT have an elevator? Couldn't believe it. There was a big group of us staying here for a hockey tournament and we all had heavy hockey bags, coolers, suitcases, etc. Since there were no elevators, we had to haul our stuff up and down the stairs all weekend long. Yes, we're all in good shape since we're hockey players, but those of us that had multiple things to carry made it a total pain in the butt.

2. The 2nd floor ice machine didn't work, so we had to run down to the 1st floor every time we needed ice. An inconvenience—yes, but not tragic.

3. The worst part about this Super 8 is their policy of "No glass, no drinks of any kind or food allowed in the pool/hot tub area." First off, I completely agree with "no glass, no food"--that's common sense. But no drinks, even in cans or plastic bottles--that's another issue.

All we wanted to do was soak in the hot tub after a long day of being outside in the cold playing hockey. A small group of us each had alcohol in aluminum cans and plastic pop bottles, which we attempted to bring in to the pool area; that’s when their Front Desk Pool Nazi stopped us. Although she was nice about it, she stated that absolutely no beverages of any kind can be brought into the pool area. Since I had a small cooler with me, she had me leave the cooler in the lobby area.

So in order to drink my drink, I had to leave the pool area soaking wet in my swimsuit, go through the lobby while tracking water everywhere, which left the lobby floor (which was tile) for incoming/outgoing visitors very slippery and dangerous. There were 2-3 times where I almost fell on my butt because of the water on the floor that was being tracked by all of us that had to leave our drinks in the lobby while trying to enjoy the pool or hot tub. Instead of relaxing with a beer in my hand, I had to get up out of the hot tub each and every time I wanted a sip of my drink, and make another walk from the pool area to the lobby and then back to the pool area. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS POLICY.

They would rather risk someone slipping on a wet floor and hurting themselves than allow cans or plastic containers for their guests to enjoy in the pool area. I was seriously irritated with feeling like we were being treated as 4 year olds that would make a mess.

The irony of their "No drinks/no glass" policy is that there's a drinking fountain in the pool area, along with a GLASS table in between some lounging chairs. Seriously?

Room Tip: They don't have any elevators in this hotel, so if you have heavy stuff to carry or are physical...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
I apologize for the lack of empathy and appreciate your prompt notification of the problem. The intention was never to have the guest feel that the apology was insincere and made to feel like the situation was not important. In Marathon County if the pool area do not have any carpet our health department will not allow any drinking or eating. According to the ADA requirement we need to have the water fountain. Our hotel is 25 years old and its only 2 floors.
Our pride has been that we strive to go beyond our guest's expectations and clearly we did not fulfill that in this situation.