“Disappointing dinners two times in a row!”

T-Dub's Public House
Reserve with OpenTable
T-Dub's Public House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 47 Restaurants in Waupaca
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2013

T-Dub's has been one of my favorite places in Waupaca for several years. In fact, it was my "go-to" place when travelling to Waupaca on business. However, the last two times I was there the food was very disappointing. Most recently I tried the Thai Peanut pasta with chicken. The flavor was delicious however, the dish was drowning in sauce. There was so much sauce it looked more like a soup. I couldn't even distiguish the vegetables from the chicken because it was too much. I wish the chef would realize that "more" does not equal "better." My dinner companion had the Bangers and Smash which he said was disappointing as well. I tasted it and agreed. However, in all fairness, that could be more of a personal preferance rather than a poorly prepared meal. My meal at my previous visit was poor as well. Same thing....too much of a good thing...over-sauced, over-flavored. Service is always good at T-Dub's but the food is not as good as it used to be in my opinion. I think T-Dub's is coming off of my "go-to" list.

4  Thank mokigrand

Reviewed March 12, 2013

Have been going to TW Martins since they opened years ago. Their menu has changed little over the years so there is really little that interests me on the menu anymore. I miss their Cuban sandwich and Irish stew that are no longer on the menu. The food is generally good but at times can be uneven (chefs come and go). Appetizers are rather boring, mussels have been good but they are hard to screw up, calamari is bland and the spinach artichoke dip tastes like mayonnaise and it definitely needs a crusty bread not the greasy slices of bread they serve. They have a nice tuna sandwich that they will do rare, good fish fry, & bangers and mash (mashed potatoes and sausage) is good comfort food. Their pastas have always been disappointing. Never tried their steak, their ribs are good but on the sweet side and little complexity in the sauce. Their salmon seems to be very popular but I find it pretty boring. They make a good chocolate cake and nice frozen grasshopper. It is on the pricey side for upscale pub food. Most items are ala carte so if you want a side salad add $5. Dinner for two can easily hit $75-$100 with a couple drinks and deserts. The place is in a stone cellar so it can get very, very loud. It is also packed on weekends. Service is generally excellent and they have a good selection of local beers. It is the best restaurant in Waupaca but there is very little competition. Your other choices are supper clubs and bar food. Weasels has great lamb kabobs and that is the only reason to go into Weasels. I would love to see some lamb and pork dishes at TW’s. Some braised short ribs or pork? I’ve met the new chef and I would like to see her try and mix it up a bit and take some risks. Their specials seem to be variations on the main menu which has not changed for years, (they got rid of the jambalaya which is a good thing). And why aren’t they open for lunch? This review is critical but it is still my go to restaurant when looking for a reliable meal in Waupaca, I would just like to see something new on the menu. For an ‘Irish Pub’ they sure lack in soups, stews, braised meats and other comfort foods that one would expect to consume with their Guinness!

1  Thank wehawehawe
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had a party of 5. Now the location of this restaurant was so interesting since it is a building that used to construct horse carriages. Wall are stone, lots of really old beautiful wood, comfortable room though lighting was lacking (candles would have helped read the menu) but service was GREAT. Severla of our dishes did arrive rather dry: the corned beef sandwich Reuben and the veggie burger. The spinach dip was really good but really small serving and another less heavy bread would have been a better scooping option. Wished it would have been served with some carrot sticks and perhaps crispy pita chips. Mac and Cheese was too peppery having been made with pepper jack cheese. Since many at the table didn't like that peppery taste I think a really good dish was overpowered by the pepper jack. I think this is a good place to eat but feel that food preparation should be more careful to avoid over cooking the food. Cheesecakes were fabulous and molten choc cake was OK as we had way too much whipped cream plated with the vanilla icecream. Presentation for that dish could be improved. My Black and Tan beer was perfectly served. We liked this place and will be back to try different dishes.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I recently selected this restaurant for a special family dinner. I have been to Waupaca many times but never knew about this place until I researched it through TripAdvisor. (It is tucked away, and hence easily missed.) They took a reservation for a party of 10, which was great.

Upon our arrival just before 7pm on a Saturday, the place was bustling and quite loud. It is a small space, and there was really nowhere to stand and be out of the way as we waited for our table to be set up. Once we were seated, it took a while for someone to take our drink order. Seriously, the place was just alive with activity and conversation. I'm afraid the noise and lack of prompt service did not suit our guest of honor very well. However, in time we got everything we needed, and to everyone's relief the dining room thinned out as well. The noise level decreased and it became a very enjoyable experience.

Despite the crowd, it was clear the staff was trying hard and cared a lot. They were sincerely good-natured about my young niece who refused to sit still and was basically a tripping hazard for the wait staff going to and from their tables. Our waitress apologized for any waiting we had to do, and she checked in with us several times. We were visited by a couple of gentlemen who were not our server. I assume they had some manager or ownership roles; they were kind and made me feel welcome.

The food was great. I think this is definitely among the best food in Waupaca, particularly if you have lived outside of a rural area like this one. It is not a supper club or a sandwich place. It is a lively pub with comfortable, eclectic cuisine. I think the food compares well with any similar type of restaurant in a more urban location. It's great to see the locals clearly support it.

Our family ended up having a great time for our special dinner. If you are in the Waupaca area and desire a dining experience a little different from the more typical, casual cuisine in the area with a lively atmosphere, I definitely recommend T-Dubs!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

This place defies the odds. Always busy. Always tasty. Always fun. Working off a pub-house menu they start with a succulent cheesesteak (which I would not mention were it not so good) and end with a variety of entrees that would pass muster in any eatery in downtown Chicago. The Beer Battered Haddock on Friday nights though is unnaturally yummy and a must have. I also love the Pork Loin, the BBQ Ribs and the occasional lamb soup. OK, they could work a bit on their salads and the Bangers and Smash is avoidable most nights, but this place is crowded even when snow covers the doorways. Best in show. Best in Waupaca.

Been to T-Dub's Public House? Share your experiences!