“A Waukesha Original”

Jimmy's Grotto
Ranked #35 of 177 Restaurants in Waukesha
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Description: Longtime established eatery serving pizza, Italian sausage & deep-fried calzones - PonzaRottas - in casual digs.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A Waukesha Original”
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Any trip to Waukesha should include a trip to Jimmy's Grotto. Whether you choose the Ponzaratta or the Italian Sausage you will have a winner. A large group, call ahead and place a carry out order or ask for delivery. The pizza is good and the poppers and pepper rings are favorites,too.

Picky eaters in your group, order the grilled chicken.

Jimmy's Grotto - yum

PS - remember to get cash, no credit cards.

• Visited June 2014

Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Great food”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

2 favorite things at Jimmy's are the Ponzaratas and the double Italian sausages. I would definately eat her again.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank avalanchjoe
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not the "legendary" ponzo I herd about...”
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

I have been visiting Waukesha now for 2 years and have been to Grotto ' s 3 times now. Every time it was subpar, undercooked and the wrong order every darn time.

Customer service is terrible too. I don't understand how this established restaurant is still surviving with the terrible food and customer service. Unbelievable.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
“I may be biased as it is a hometown favorite”
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This could have been a bad review, but Jimmy's made a great pizza and made the situation right. Something happened in the kitchen with the pizza, it took 30 minutes after we arrived to pick up our carry out our phoned-in order. The pizza was and excellent. The thin crust is hearty enough to hold the toppings but not too thick, just right. Because of the time it took they comp'd the pizza. Many restaurants today do not know what it means to 'make it right'. Jimmy's Grotto delivers, every time! The Ponza Rotas were good too, as always. Great food and great job keeping a loyal customer!

• Visited December 2013
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Another restaurant that makes me confused.”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

Disclaimer: I am not from Waukesha (or Wisconsin, for that matter), so I did not grow up with the legend that is this place and I had no pre-conceived illusions about its awesomeness that everyone else seems to have. I've been here a few times since moving to the area, and each time I am mystified as to why it's as popular as it is.

First, you MUST call ahead. Each time we have ordered we're quoted about 45 minutes for two ponzas, and if we show up early they're not ready so this is accurate. And you don't want to show up early. Parking is a nightmare on the evenings/weekends/lunchtime, it's busy, it's dirty, there's nowhere to wait, and quite frankly you don't want to be in there very long. The employees aren't winning any customer service contests anytime soon, either.

As far as the ponzas, the first time I ordered I got cheese without any toppings. In hindsight I don't know why I did this. It's basically a big ball of cheese wrapped in fried dough. That doesn't mean it was terrible, but it tasted just like how it sounds and I felt about 100 pounds heavier by the time I finished half of it. My husband ordered sausage and cheese. There are actual chunks of sliced sausage, which I know most people here love, but we prefer the crumbled type sausage you normally get on a pizza, although that's just personal preference. Since then we've tried different toppings and it's ten times better with pepperoni or some other topping. Stay away from the taco version....no explanation needed.

Overall, the price is really reasonable, and they taste great when you're craving greasy junk food type pizza. But I still just can't explain why I don't like it as much as everyone else seems to. I chalk it up to not being from here, so I just don't get caught up in the nostalgia? Or I'm missing something? It's like an over-hyped movie where I hear so many amazing things that I'm expecting something completely unrealistic and doomed to be disappointed.

• Visited October 2013