“Love it”
Review of John's Root Beer

John's Root Beer
Ranked #9 of 178 Restaurants in Waukesha
Reviewed February 10, 2012

A slice of summer in the middle of winter. I love their popcorn!

1  Thank Fortyplusoutayear
There are newer reviews for John's Root Beer

Reviewed August 26, 2011

I was really gunning for this place. The girl at the counter said John's Drive In has been open since 1937. They brew their root beer in the basement. It's such a cute old school dive, I was really hoping the root beer would knock my socks off. Unfortunately it didn't. It had a strong vanilla overtone and was super sweet. It also seemed to be lacking carbonation. Maybe the ice cream/root beer concoctions are better. The cheese fries were good... just what you would expect of salty fried food. Menu items seem reasonably priced. The dog was steamed and the pulled pork wasn't anything special. To me, the fries stand out. Lots of picnic tables for summertime outdoor eating. Just as an FYI to pet owners: several signs posted say no pets on premises (oops! we brought our dog in the back seat of the convertible. We ate quick and nobody said anything). Probably an okay joint for a late summer night treat, but I must admit that Sprecher's has a stronger more flavorful root beer. Darn.... i was really hoping this would be great.

Reviewed January 3, 2010

There food is ok but their root beer is the best. I always get a gallon for the road when I go here.

Reviewed June 26, 2009

I have been going to John's Drive-In for years. The root beer in heavy glass mugs is authentic drive-in fare. My favorites are the fish and BBQ pulled pork sandwiches.
You can specify the toppings on any sandwich you order. The food menu is varied.
The drive-in is open year-round and in the summer has custom-car nights. It does not have car-hops, or I would have rated it a five.

Reviewed November 3, 2007

John's is more then Excellent! My favorite is a nacho Dog with K. M. and O. Don't forget the cheese fries! And I suggest if you can , stay and have a HUGE MUG OF ROOT BEER! If you can't stay then I would either get the gallon of rootbeer, or a root beer float! They have a huge menu, those are just MY favorites! Don't forget to tip your server... most people look shocked when I leave a tip! Those kids usually take your order with out writing it down , or using the cash register!
I love going to John's in the summer, but its also a nice change of pace in the winter too!
Hope you enjoy it !