“poor quality and everything frozen not fresh”

Matteo's Italian Ristorante
Ranked #67 of 180 Restaurants in Waukesha
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was very disappointed about this restaurant..I will never go back there..the Sicilian steak was not even edible and poor potato pancakes..something you would get from a frozen isle at wal mart. I would have preferred my meal from a convenient store. The country music blaring during the 45 minute torture was insane. News flash it's an Italian restaurant not a country bar. Never again..this place is nothing compared to Balisteri's or something from Olive Garden..Carraba's is the home stay as far as great fast Italian. Waste of hard working money..the beer was good for 4.50$ a glass(expensive). The Italian bread was fresh and the house salad was good. The fried ravioli tasted frozen and cooked in over used oil. Sorry, I will stick with something home cooked in good ole Milwaukee.

1  Thank sleepyhollow65

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We recently had a Saturday night dinner at Matteo's with friends. We arrived at 7 pm and only a handful of tables were in use. The service was good. Our waitress carefully went through an extensive menu, but then fumbled the ball when she didn't know what Prosecco was when taking our drink orders. Our salads were exceedingly crisp and fresh. The loaves of bread with dinner were good, but I hate getting butter in those little tin foil squares because my fingers always get coated with grease. The entree's were a mixed bag. Unfortunately, my chicken spedini seemed to be the problem child. The 1/4" thick chicken was wrapped around a large mass of chopped onion, which overwhelmed the chicken's flavor, and the meat was tough and dry. My guess is it had been in the freezer for a while. I like hearty red sauce on my pasta, but the sauce on my side dish of mostacioli was so thick, it had the consistency of ketchup and was very salty. My dinner mates enjoyed their various dishes, including linguini with clam sauce, ravioli and assorted pastas, but their praise was muted. However the portions were large and the remnants of their dinners were stowed away for another day. In summary, an acceptable if unspectacular meal.

1  Thank Joe C
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We stopped at opening time on a Saturday and were served quickly and efficiently. The food was very good and we would definitely return when in the area.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Monday night 7:00 p.m. wasn't busy at Matteo's, so six of us were seated immediately at the table of our choosing. The bar filled up with local folks enjoying drinks, so it was pleasantly noisy.
Our order included a Cashew Chicken Salad, a Honey Dijon Salad, Breaded Cheese Ravioli with a dinner salad, Baked Mostacciolli, and children's Spaghetti and Chicken Tenders.
Two loaves of warm Italian bread and plenty of butter arrived almost immediately, and they were just fantastic - almost like eating dessert first. The rest of the meals arrived rather sporadically, but there was enough going on to keep us amused while we waited, including a TV just above our table. Our server changed the station to the Stanley Cup playoff game after we requested it.
Our salads were perfect, and the dressings (honey Dijon and sesame ginger) were scrumptious. Pasta portions were enormous, as were children's portions. We brought home three boxes of leftovers.
Prices are reasonable enough - averaging about $10 for an entrée. Coffee or soda is $1.95 and bottled water only $1.25. The menu includes a variety of alcoholic drinks and desserts, but we didn't opt for either. We wouldn't hesitate to eat here again.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Went there three Saturdays ago. The special was rib eye steak and Large JUMBO shrimp $16.95. Seating was close to the bus wait station. Had to listen to glasses, and dishes being restocked, Waitress staff and bus people walking around our table throughout the meal. The area was dark the tables were old the table cloths had seen better days. Who puts tables next to the staffing station.
Waitress was nice and prompt. (THE FOOD) Omg I have had better steaks at a roadside truck stop. It looked like it was boiled and then briefly flat top grilled. I should have known better Steak at an Italian restaurant. The JUMBO shrimp were far from jumbo. The baked potato was one of the smallest I have ever seen. and butter wrapped in foil .. Who does this anymore. The last time I got foiled butter in a restaurant was at a Greek restaurant. I had to pay extra for blue cheese for my salad that was ok. I feel the salad was by far the high point of my meal. (Matteos Ristorante) Hardly. A pizza joint maybe. I will not be back. Save your money and go to Michaels if you want good Italian food in Waukesha. It cost a bit more BUT you wont be taking a doggy bag home for the treat for the DOG.

1  Thank mrfood2013