“Great sushi!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Description: http://www.meijicuisine.com/
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
“Great sushi!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

Just had an early Sunday dinner here! It was my second time at Meiji and I took my non-sushi eating boyfriend here. He was excited about the Sichuan style Chinese food as he likes his food spicy! It was a win win for both of us. He had the Sichuan Beef extra spicy and I had two speciality rolls, one being the kiss of fire. I don't recall the name of the other roll but both were delicious. We started with crab ragoon which were equally as good! They must make them in house as they are not the traditional folded ones that you typically get at other Chinese restaurants. The decor is tastefully done and simple, a comfortable setting. The first time I sat at the sushi bar and was greeted with a free little appetizer sample.

• Visited April 2013

“Great lunch specials!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

I love Meiji's lunch deals - nicely priced for perfect portions of sushi or Japanese food (salmon teriyaki lunch box, for example, comes with miso soup, salad with yummy ginger dressing, nice portion of salmon, rice, gyoza, and a couple Cali roll pieces - for user $10!).
My server was okay.. I couldn't tell if she was rude or if it was a "foreign" or language barrier thing. They also forced out us at 3 so they could close for an hour before lunch, so I though that was a little weird.
I have had awesome servers in the past though.
The hibachi dinner is terrific, a little on the pricey side, but you can find coupons in the mail if you live in Waukesha.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Expensive for Poor Quality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

When Meiji first opened, their sushi selection and taste was superior to any other Japanese restaurant in the area. However, they've slipped in quality quite quickly.

I ordered a carryout selection of sushi rolls and a fried calamari appetizer. First of all, they would not honor the discounted deal agreed upon with the hotel across the street (I'm an employee of said hotel). This was a little discouraging as my hotel promotes their business on a daily basis - this is something that I'm discussing with management to discontinue.

My fried calamari appetizer looked like it had come straight from a box - large onion-ring-sized squid pieces that had freezer burn and a generic breading that was flavorless and tough. I took a bite of one and immediately threw the entire appetizer away.

I ordered two sushi rolls: Avocado Tuna and the Sakura Garden Roll. Now, I'm of Japanese heritage and know exactly how good sushi should taste - fresh. The Avocado Tuna roll was excellent; the tuna was soft in texture with a light flavor that had no fishy smell or aftertaste. The Sakura Garden roll was disgusting. The eel on top had a fishy odor, which let me know that it wasn't fresh. In addition, the lobster salad on the inside also smelled fishy and tasted funny. I threw the entire roll away.

It's upsetting to pay so much for food that you expect to be top quality, only to find that it's below par. I'm planning to call the restaurant today to see what kind of compensation they'll offer me, but am not expecting much. It's a shame that Yokoso closed and moved to Milwaukee, because their sushi was always top notch. If you're in the Brookfield area and looking for a good sushi restaurant, choose Fujiyama on Bluemound Road instead of Meiji.

Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Who'd Have Guessed?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

That there's a top notch Asian restaurant hidden in Suburban Waukesha. Others have described what's served here: excellent sushi (so I'm told, I'm not an afficianado myself), authentic Japanese and Chinese fare and Japanese Hibachi specialties. It was the former we were trying out on a Friday night, the occasion being our son-in-law's birthday and a visit by his Houston-based parents. Along for the ride were 2 grandsons, 8 and 5 years of age. The restaurant has about a 15 or so Hibachi grills. each of which can accomodate 8-10 people. This night we had a highly talented and personable Japanese Hibachi chef who was great with the kids (and us) spinning and catching eggs on his spatula, tossing broccoli in our open mouths, making onion ring volcanos with cooking oil, and generally having a lot of fun while cooking our meals of fresh vegetables, noodles, rice, shrimp, chicken and steak on his grill. The food was tremendous and even the kids ate ravenously (with chopsticks no less!!). Our watiress, Tina, did a particularly excellent job, keeping up with a constant flow of adult and other beverages. The dessert menu was extensive, containing oddly enough, many high quality traditional Italian desserts, including some wonderful chocolate gelato, which we had. This was really a memorable night for us and the kids. They want to come back. I think it's going to happen in the near future

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Noodle dishes really good! Service...not so much”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Meiji has a huge menu...and I mean huge. It has a full Chinese menu, full Japanese menu (including sushi), plus a hibachi menu (and large, inviting hibachi room). There is a large, modern dining room for non-hibachi diners, and a separate bar.

My son and I had dinner at Meiji with the intent of having yaki soba and Singapore noodles. We started off with excellent Chinese dumplings. They were hot (temp) and stuffed with a delicious stuffing. The sauce was salty and sweet at the same time. Just right.

The yaki soba came with miso soup, which was unremarkable.

We were both very pleased with our meals. The Singapore noodles were appropriately spicey, filled with goodies, like nice sized shrimp, chicken, and lots of vegetables. I ordered the yaki soba with beef and the ratio of beef to noodes/vegetables was perfect. The sauce was light and not too salty, which I appreciated. Ok, it wasn't as good as I was lucky enough to enjoy in Japan, but it was very good. The portions were generous.

Our service was poor. Our waitress was in such a hurry that we were still ordering while she was turning to leave (no joke). She never checked on us during our meal, asking if there was anything else we wanted/needed, etc. The timing was off as well, which I know from experience is very Japanese, but I was half-way done with my meal before my son was served. No comment from our waitress on that. Luckily we are both adults...I can only imagine if we had kids at the table and that happened!

The noodle dishes were fairly priced. The atmosphere was pleasing, and as a testament to authenticity...the place was filled with native-Asian diners (as opposed to American-Asian).

• 2 of 5 bubbles