“Still a Good Value”
Review of Super 8 Waukesha

Super 8 Waukesha
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Waukesha
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This is the third time I stayed at the Super8 in Waukesha and I am still pleased overall with the value. However, I do see things slipping a little, but it is getting older and I am sure they have been busy. The staff is still very friendly and professional. I see reviews with negative comments and I cannot understand why. Every time I have been there, and when I observe the staff from the lobby, they are always friendly, helpful and timely.
Everything was clean and fresh in our room, but the whole place could use a deep cleaning to get it back on top. As I said before, it is beginning to show its age and for a place as well run as this, it just needs that little bit of help.

Room Tip: I have had the best luck with rooms on the lobby level. Convenient for the free breakfast and for c...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed here over Labor Day Weekend while visiting Milwaukee. The room was huge and clean. Matress is firm, just how I like, had a great nights sleep. Breakfast was good and had plenty of space. We will keep this place on our list for the next time we are in the area.
There is a Texas Roadhouse next door. If you crave a true Wisconsin experience, there is a Kopp's Custard 1.5 miles east of here.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I can't comment on anything about this hotel simply because we never made it beyond the lobby. They had only one girl at the reception and she was handling a call. That's understandable. We were willing to wait. But 10 minutes of waiting with not one sign from her that she'd seen us standing in front of her or a request for us to wait.
When I finally asked her how long it would be, she told us we'd be better off going to another hotel. We were and got much better service there!!
I will never go back here simply because of this terrible service.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Joann S
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was our second stay at this particular motel. They offer a great value in the Milwaukee area. The staff was very accommodating to our requests on the phone in the reservation process and it was evident that our requests were entered on the computer with the reservation. The room was clean and the bed good. I especially like these rooms for the large refrigerator which will actually freeze a container of water to use in the cooler for the next day. There is coffee in the lobby all day and you can even purchase ice cream goodies.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I spent another of my annual extended weekends in Waukesha at the Super 8 and was not disappointed in my choice. I have been staying in this motel since 2005 (back then it was Select Inn) and have always had a wonderful stay. The staff, cleanliness of the rooms and amenities make for a relaxed experience. Nearby restaurants and shopping, as well as closeness to the Downtown, really make my visit simple and fun. I am already looking forward to next years visit!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I was leary of this hotel based on the price for the area. However, within minutes of arriving in our room, I was very happy with husband's choice to stay here. I was most pleased with the fact that there was NO strange odor in the room. It did NOT smell musty, dirty or smokey. Nor did it smell that any odor was being masked. There was what appeared to be several mildew stains in the shower grout. The bedsheets were very, very thin. The room was quiet. Our limited contact with the personnel was pleasant. The room, lobby, public restroom and breakfast area were clean and orderly. There were several choices for breakfast but nothing with protein that I can recall. There was a pizza oven and microwave available for use near the lobby. There were restaurants within walking distance. It was also an easy drive to the zoo, ballpark and state fair.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Let me preface this review with this: for a Super 8 it’s very good, but not great. I have stayed that Super 8s that were easily confused for a Courtyard or a Hampton, but this is NOT like that; the Waukesha Super 8 is simply what a Super 8 should be. However, previous reviews inflated my expectations a bit, and I don’t think that’s fair to the hotel and potential guests. My review is mixed because it feels like the management purchased an already good hotel and then cut some costs; the result is that the place sends out some mixed messages that, I think, make it a touch over-priced:
• Lovely and spacious lobby and a huge, comfortable breakfast area, but all the food served at breakfast involves bread of some sort. No fruits or meats. Gluten allergies beware.
• The coffee is decent but the only creamer is powdered and there are no sugar substitutes (a small thing, I know, but I hate powdered stuff).
• Pillowtop mattresses in the rooms - which are actually really comfortable - but cheap, lumpy pillows, so I didn’t sleep well at all despite the comfy mattress.
• Hot shower and an adjustable showerhead with decent pressure, but there was a leak in the side of the shower so the bathroom floor was soaked by the time I was finished. The grout was a little grungy. Towels are old and scratchy and kind of moved the water around, but didn’t absorb moisture.
• Nice, new-looking room, but the air conditioner is loud and doesn’t really work well.
• Flooring and paint all looks new, but the place smells musty and my eyes have itched every minute I was in the place.
• Business-wise, the internet is free and lighting fast, but the rooms have no open outlets, so you have to choose between having lights and plugging in your gadgets.
• Seemed like a very quiet hotel, but my room was below the breakfast area, so I heard people tromping over my head from 6-9.
• I thought I was getting a good deal on a king suite, but it’s not really a “suite.” I splurged on it because I needed to do work but my traveling buddy was going to sleep in, so I figured having a separate room would be useful. And the description (including “sleeps 3”) lead me to believe there would be the sort of sitting room with a foldout you expect from a “suite.” Instead, it’s a very large king room with a recliner chair for the “sitting” area. But that’s it; there is absolutely no separation between the sleeping and living areas, and “sleeps 3” means you should be able to cram 3 people into a king sized bed. So, I ended up working in the lobby a great deal, rather than the room I paid extra for.
In short, it seems like a decent place, but I didn't sleep well and couldn’t get much work done, which was the point of the stay. Beyond that, the area is very nice, with easy access to I-94. There is a Target and a few restaurants within walking distance, and a Starbucks that is close but maybe a little far to walk. The breakfast staff is incredibly kind and the check-in staff was fast and friendly (seriously, it was the fastest check-in I’ve ever experienced). If you just need to spend a couple of nights and don't want to spend a lot, this place is good, but don't get your hopes up - it isn't great.

Room Tip: Ask to NOT be below the lobby - you hear every footstep as people come and go.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ILFrequentTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waukesha
Baymont Inn & Suites Waukesha
Home2 Suites by Hilton Milwaukee Brookfield
Extended Stay America - Milwaukee - Waukesha
The Country Springs Hotel
The Clarke Hotel
The Clarke Hotel
#3 of 9 in Waukesha
Best Western Waukesha Grand

Been to Super 8 Waukesha? Share your experiences!