“Breakfast was OK”

Dining options: Seating
Sheboygan Falls, Wisconsin
“Breakfast was OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

After reading a few reviews I was kind of hesitant to eat here. We came in for breakfast while waiting for our ferry.

Maybe it was because we came in as a large group and the employees and owners knew some people in our group but our experience overall wasn't too bad to just OK. Food quality was decent. I guess I can't complain too much our 2 daughters ,which are picky eaters, actually are all of their food!

I would probably return if we were here waiting for a ferry but probably wouldn't go out of my way.

Nekoosa, Wisconsin
“Literally insulted”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

My wife and I arrived on Washington island while enjoying a vacation in Door County, and rather than bring our vehicle we opted to just pay for passenger tickets on the ferry then take a guided island tour. As it worked out we ended up arriving with about an hour before our tour, but it was about noon so we found the Ship's Wheel near the dock for some lunch.

We were seated and given a very short menu, we both found something to order from the handful of options but when we tried to order drinks I quickly discovered their beer menu wasn't accurate. Then when my wife asked for water she was told "it's on the bar" and the waitress walked away. That should have been my first warning.

When our food did finally arrive I discovered the ham and cheese sandwich I ordered wasn't even a hot sandwich. No, it was indeed a few slices of plain old lunchmeat ham thrown on a bun with a Kraft single on the top without even the dignity of mustard being available. The chips that came with it were also just a small bag of Lays potato chips...if I had wanted a cold lunch I could have packed my own for remarkably less money.

Nevertheless we finished our "meal" washed down with our own hand fetched water and awaited the check. About the time it arrived an older gentleman (presumably the owner?) emerged from the kitchen and after talking to the waitress near the cash register sauntered over to our table. He asked about our trip over but then when he discovered we hadn't brought our vehicle he "couldn't help us" and that we were fools for taking the guided tour. After he finished taking his time to personally insult us as we tried to deflect his comments and not let him ruin our visit to the island he sauntered away to sit with the waitress and another women at one of the many un-used tables in the establishment. It was unclear whether the waitress was going to return to collect our bill and we weren't going to stay and be verbally abused any longer so we walked up to the cash register and beckoned her over to assist us.

The island was worth the visit, however the Ship's Wheel was not.

• Visited July 2013
6 Thank SawDawg498
Franklin, Wisconsin
“Dinner and a View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

A nice place on the banks of Lake Michigan, good food and a nice wine selection. Excellent dessert too!

Visited June 2013
3 Thank Deb O
St. Croix
“Beyond Rude”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2012

This place has a reputation for rudeness, and our experience there couldn't have been worse. It began with me walking in with a young child in my arms, while juggling a purse and a shopping bag. The grumpy owner grunted and pointed to a table. When I asked if we could have a high chair or booser seat, he told me they were over there on the other side of the restaurant. Really? It is the off-season, YOU are the owner, you only have one other table, and you want me to go and get my own high chair from across the restaurant. Unbelievable.

Their menu was fairly limited. When it came my time to order, I asked if I could substitute hashbrowns for the breakfast meat offered with the meal. Absolutely not. Now, most of the people at the table had hashbrowns with their meal, so it wasn't like they would have had to make them special for me. In fact, had they made the substitution, they obviously would have saved a good amount of money. Potatoes vs. meat. I explained that I was a vegetarian and don't eat meat. I was told I could order the hashbrowns on the side, but they don't do substitutions. Very curt and rude about it. Our entire table was speechless. We were a party of three families, and we were all about ready to leave. The only reason we didn't was because the children were all too hungry to postpone our meal any longer.

This experience was very similar to the only other time we had eaten at the Ship's Wheel. That experience was so bad, we felt it had to be a fluke. Only later did we find out from the locals that it has a reputation for being extremely rude.

In this economy on an island where word gets around, you would think that the owner and staff would make some kind of effort to treat their customers with a little bit of kindness. Quite possibly the worst service we have ever experienced. If I could give it zero stars, I would have.

• Visited October 2012