“Terrible Accomodations-not as advertised-owners would not refund last day's stay”
Review of Dor Cros Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington Island
Dor Cros Inn
Michigan
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We were planning on a nice vacation-we booked the "loft" cottage at the Dor Cros Inn for 3 days. It was supposed to be a cottage, but upon arrival we found it to be above the office and up a lot of stairs. We had our dog (and had to give $125.00 deposit for him) and found this quite inconvenient. The "loft" was dirty, smelly and we saw 2 black hard shelled bugs resembling cockroaches. We had our dog with us, and our dog would not lay on the carpet and kept smelling the small loveseat (which smelled and looked like something had violated it) and he would not go into the kitchen. The bathroom has a bathtub with a wall jutting into it making it almost impossible to shower in. The shower curtain is a small circle with a hand-held shower attached to it. We hit our heads several times on the part of the wall that takes up half of the bathtub. The carpet in the lliving room is dirty and the furniture is not something we wanted to sit on. We sat on the unstable chair in the small kitchen or the wood chairs in the llving room. The whole place had an odor and we were afraid to sleep in the bed after seeing the black bugs, smelling the odor and looking at the comforter. The pots and pans in the kitchen we covered in dust and some had water and rust running off of them. During the last night of our stay they sawed down limbs from a tree, so we got to listen to that for a few hours. Cory, the owner, seemed friendly and we didn't see his wife until the last day. We are not rude people and didn't want to offend them. but we knew we couldn't stay the last night there under any circumstances and our dog wasn't eating or sleeping. We told Cory that we were going to leave a day early and could he try to re-book it. We ask him if he wanted to look at the place due to the deposit we had given for our dog and he said "no, he would just shred the deposit, and he didn't need to look. After staying in their establishment, our dog was the least of their concerns. We were out of there at 6:30am the next morning to catch the first ferry back to the mainland. I think it was the fastest we have ever left anywhere. We didn't see them the next morning (as it doesn't appear that they live there) so I e-mailed them when we got home asking for a refund of the last day we had payed for. I stated that we also owned a small business and that good-will was important to us and hopefully to them also. The e-mail I got back was that they had tried to re-book it, but couldn't, so they would not refund our money. They offered a gift certificate for a one day stay in the off-season that was good for one year, since good-will was also important to them. I think they have encountered this situation before and ripping people off is nothing new to them. The cost of this stay ended up being $495.54 for 2 days. We drove to St. Ignace, MI and stayed in a nice hotel on the water the next night for $88.00. Even the dog was happy again. I feel that there should be some kind of state regulation for places like this that falsely advertise their accomodations and rip tourists off. I think a visit from the board of health is warranted.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank 23trees

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Wisconsin
Reviewed July 30, 2009

If you want to feel like you are sleeping in a small ships cabin then the Dor Cros Inn on Washington Island is the destination for you. Dark wood paneling on the walls and the low (about 7ft) ceiling compleate the picture of a cramped tourist trap. But since I was stuck on the island for the night what else could I do but try to ride it out. After getting somthing to eat I was looking forward to a little late night tv then off to bed. However while the dor cross did provide a tv in the room (as advertised) they did not advise me that they have not upgraded to either digital tv nor did they install a converter box. Basicly there was a huge usless wooden and glass block in my already small room taking up precious pace. If you are renting out small rooms, why not maximize the space by removing the useless tv? While hosts cory and laura are outwardly friendly they may be in over thier heads in the lodging industry, and long sice out of buisness in most other markets. It must be nice to know that once your customers have gotten to your island and hotel they have already paid a deposit and are traped with you unless they want to spend the night in the car. Also just a word to cory and laura, If your bathrooms are going to be so small please remember to hand out little bags of peanuts.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank WIischmoe
Omro, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 14, 2008

My mom, sister and I spent the weekend on Washington Island and decided to stay at the Dor Cros Inn. It is located about 3 minutes from the ferry dock and it's on the same road. Very convenient.
Upon arriving, we went into the office and there wasn't anyone in there, but there was a note with our name on it explaining which cabin was ours. There was also a map of the island with numerous local attractions highlighted by the owner, Cory, which was a very nice suprise!
We found our room and immediately noticed there were three notes on the beds, one for each of us. They said something to the effect of: Dor Cros welcomes (insert your name) and etc.... that was extremely suprising as well! I've never been anywhere that was so welcoming feeling. A very nice touch. There was antique wine bottle with a fresh cut flower sitting atop our mini-fridge. The room itself was a little shabby. The beds and comforter were pretty old and the place could use a little sprucing up, but it was very clean and I didn't have the same problem as a previous tripadvisor member with the mildew smell and icky pillows. It had two full sized beds and was a bit crowded with three women in the room but would have been perfect for two people. All in all, the Dor Cros was what I expected with the added benefit of very attentive owners. I appreciated that part the most.

• Liked — The owner, location, cleanliness
  • Disliked — Small bathroom
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank jodathechoda
Burlington, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 21, 2008

Upon arrival we met Cory and he made us feel right at home. Although we were told our room would be ready by 2:00, (it was 2:30) we were asked to come back in a half hour or so. Cory always addressed us by name and was always starting conversations with us. So much so, that we found it very difficult to try and tell him of all the problems with the accomodations. I am hoping that our early departure was enough for him to figure it out as the smells were starting to make us all very sick.
The accomodations:
We rented the cottage loft (usually a week long rental, but it was rented to us seeing how part of the week had already been taken by someone else). First, if you can't do any stairs, do not rent this unit. As you enter, you can start to smell the must. The bathroom is immediately to your right. A few steps forward the kitchen, a few more the living/dining area, and through that area and to your left the bedroom. Note: there is no air conditioning but two small ceiling fans, one in the livingroom and one in the bedroom. Back to the bathroom. It is small, but adequate. There is a small sink, toilet (flushes well), and a bathtub that is set under the pitch of the roof. A shower on a rope is attached to the wall with a curtain that needs to be pulled all around your body. Simple enough it appears, yet the pitch cut in takes over half of the tub's length so that leaves you about 2 1/2 ft. of body room all around you. Imagine trying to bend over for the shampoo and hitting your head. It did happen, and more than once. When taking a shower you need to turn right, open the curtain, bend over and turn left while bending to get under the pitch to get your shampoo products. Then reverse order to get back up. It wasn't that bad, but yet it was. While you are in the bathroom, (has a beautiful new floor) you tend to smell must and mildew as well as dead animals. (have you ever found a dead mouse in your wall or ceiling? this was what we smelled.) The ceiling in the bathroom has had ALOT of water damage and it shows. There is MOLD all over the ceiling and even on the plywood panelling behind the bathroom door. It was THICK. (By now I wanted to check out, but we had our dog and we were afraid we wouldnt find another hotel on the island that would allow him).
The kitchen--wow! Nostalgic at it's best. A spray painted grey 1950's fridge, an original Radarrange Microwave with the three buttons: start, stop, light. (I was so taken back that I had to peek inside and try the light. The light didn't work, but it was clean and still had the glass plate!) Didn't try using it though as then I found the next problem: ANTS They were everywhere on the walls and counters, in the cupboards and drawers (yes there were ant traps next to the food bowls, etc. and now my plans on cooking to save money were shot. We ate NO FOOD in the "cottage" but did keep our water and soda in the fridge. The rest of the kitchen had a stove/oven, coffee pot, an old radio that did not work (tried that :) ) Plenty of dishes/silverware as well. Did I mention the retro small flower pattern of yellow, rust orange, and green? (It fit the cottage and is probably old as well--it was cute)
The living room: In the middle of the room is a table and 4 chairs. Thank god the chairs were wooden as I did NOT want to sit in the furniture. (OK, I want it to be known that I am not rich by any means and know what types of furniture to expect in a cottage or lake cabin--old but clean) The furniture was old. A chair from the sixties, a loveseat from the late 60's early 70's that was very dirty, you could see where an animal might have lifted it's leg a time or two, a "white" box chair from the early 80's that was now greyish black, and a box couch in the nice shade of rust. This seemed to be the cleanest. There is also a swivel console tv in one corner and a dresser in the opposite corner. The ceiling had several areas where there was water damage, it appears that they put plywood on the ceiling and painted to try and fix the problem, but there was still a bunch of sagging and water damage spots. There was also damage in the bedroom.
The bedroom: dresser, two night stands, and a kingsize bed that has seen better days. While the sheets smelled clean, the pillows REEKED like an older person who really needs to wash their hair. I tried flipping it to the other side but the stench was still there. It was gross and bothered me to no end. It was a really long night for us.
The entire cottage walls, other than the kitchen wallpaper and bathroom particle board/panelling, was paneling in shades of grey and browns.
We were offered bicycles to use for free while we stayed and a campire if we were interested. Cory was very hospitable, I kind of felt bad for him, but for the price we were paying, I would expect a little bit better accomodations. Never met or saw Laura, Cory's wife. (I think)
The small attached cabins looked very clean on the outside and I was able to peek in through a window at one. It was decorated very nice and appeared to have new paint. The others I can't speak for. Perhaps the owners just don't want to put the money into the loft, or just haven't had the time. I would NOT stay here again unless I could see recent photos of the room.
Location: was good as most of the activities on the island are spread out anyway.

• Liked — The owners and the size of the unit.
  • Disliked — Ants, mold, mildew, stench of pillows and dead animal.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
#3 of 10 in Fish Creek
Sister Bay Inn
Sister Bay Inn
#7 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to Dor Cros Inn? Share your experiences!