“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dor Cros Inn

Dor Cros Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington Island
Dor Cros Inn
Appleton, Wisconsin
“Great place to stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

We had a really nice time on Washington Island and at the Dor Cross Inn. The Inn is conveniently located to downtown. There are two coffee shops within a 1-2 minute walk and a drive-in type restaurant right next door. Cory was very welcoming and gave us an annotated map and a list of restaurants for the island. The grounds are simple, but well maintained. We particularly enjoyed all of the campfire supplies and built a fire each night. The rooms were very clean. Regular drip coffee makers and filters are provided and the refrigerator actually works.

I would love to give this place 5 stars, but couldn't quite. The rooms are pretty dated in furnishings and some things show the wear. The walls are not exactly sound proof, so I wished there was a bit more privacy.

Would I stay here again? Yes. Did I wish Washington Island had several more mid or upscale B&Bs? Yes.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank boboli_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Kenosha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

If nothing else, the location of the Dor Cros is incredibly convenient, but that has nothing to do with how awesome our stay there was. The Dor Cros is cozy, retro, super clean and the owners could not have been nicer or more conscious of their guests comfort. Upon our arrival, Cory had a map with all the sights outlined and a list of the restaurants on the Island. We stayed in cabin number 8, the upper cabin that accommodates 4 and has satellite TV. The other cabins have DVD players and Cory and Laura have a great collection of movies to borrow. They also had many other amenities available to guests including outdoor grills you could use, a fire pit with fire wood provided, all sorts of games, toys for kids, community bikes, you name it they either had it or knew where to get it. Our cabin was roomy, clean, and had everything you would need. My husband and I were delighted with our stay and we plan to return next year.

Also, pets are welcome and the Island is very pet friendly. Most of the restaurants and businesses will allow your dogs to come inside as long as they are well behaved.

Room Tip: Cabin 8 has a full kitchen and the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Petra D
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stay here. You will not regret a thing. From the moment we rode up on our bikes we knew we had picked the right place. The cabins look like they came right out of Candy Land, so tiny and cute <3 Although they look small from the outside, there was plenty of space in our double studio! But the best part about this place... The owners. Hands down the most friendly, generous, and knowledgeable hosts I've ever encountered. At check in, Cory informed us of all the events that were happening on the island during our stay. He mapped out where everything was and even told us the easiest way to get there on our pedal bikes. He called in dinner reservations for us and made sure we knew where everything on the property was located. The next night after our butt's were sore from riding around on our bikes all day, Cory drove us up to the liquor store for wine and even provided us with his and Laura's personal wine glasses and bottle opener. They provided us with a large pile of complementary fire wood and took the time to visit with us for a bit around the camp fire. I guarantee I will be back.

Room Tip: Double studio is perfect for two friends
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laura M
jumomof3
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Wish we had more time to review the options on the island, but decided to book this on the spur of the moment after deciding to add an overnight on the island to our trip around Lake Michigan. I think we would have enjoyed camping more. Other than Cory being friendly and knowledgable about the island, I don't think we gained much by staying in the room above the office. The bathroom was bare bones and difficult for even the shortest of our family to shower thoroughly due to the shower curtain/ceiling slant. The couch/chair/carpet need a good steam cleaning. If you can't find other accommodations and if camping isn't available, I'd recommend taking the first ferry in the am, exploring the rock beach and museums, and returning to the "mainland" on the last ferry back.

Room Tip: camp instead
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jumomof3
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Cory and Laura were excellent hosts. Showed us secluded beaches, let us borrow beach chairs, directed us towards local events, and made sure we had everything we needed.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank aullbw
Rochester, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2012

Had a great few days at the Dor-Cross Inn. Hosts Cory and Laura were fantastic, very obliging and informative with things to do. Rooms very homely, had everything you need in a good, basic and tidy form. Good central spot on the island. Would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Slinger, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

My first extended weekend visit to Washington Island was booked on a spur of a moment decision that I absolutely needed time to get away from the city and find a place that offered me peace and quiet. By luck of the Internet and a narrow search looking for an Inn that accepted pets - I found the Dor Cors Inn. Much to my delight, Cory and Laura welcomed me and Sami, my yellow lab, a week earlier than they normally opened their doors to guests. As their first Inn guest for the 2012 season, they demonstrated the perfect balance between advising me on hiking trails, restaurants, beaches and points of interest and at the same did not intrude on my private time. My kitchenette was meticulously clean and every detail from a welcoming notecard to availability of DVD movies to a comfortable bed to the smell of cinnamon rolls in the morning was perfectly executed. I have a return trip planned for August and I can't wait!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
#2 of 10 in Fish Creek
Sister Bay Inn
Sister Bay Inn
#7 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to Dor Cros Inn? Share your experiences!