“Like camping with creature comforts”
Review of Dor Cros Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington Island
Dor Cros Inn
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The Dor Cros is quaint and rustic.It is well maintained with yearly painting and flowers. It appeals to those who llike the outdoors. I have been there every year for the past 7 years and stayed in every cabin. They are very clean, but not luxurious. I liken it to camping, with a roof, comfortable bed , and personal bathroom. Hosts, Cory and Laura, bend over backwards to help you enjoy your stay.
Cabins:
The website describes the various accommodations. Some have kitchenettes,
My favorite is theone upstairs. It is more like an apartment with a lot of room and full kitchen. We usually have about 6 people.
Every cabin has a picnic table and Weber grill ourside
Bike rentals
Horseshoe pit
Easy access from ferry
Nightly bonfires
Free morning coffee in lobby
movies

Room Tip: I would recommend the larger cabins.
  • Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank duerk

Reviewed April 16, 2011

I have been going to Washington Island for about 10 years, attending classes at the Sievers School of Fiber Arts and kayaking (I bring my own kayak). Every year, I stay at the Dor Cros Inn and I love it.
• It is very conveniently located just east of the ferry dock and just south of the town center (with its Recreational Center/swimming pool, library with free wi-fi and the use of computers, and theater)
• The room is very clean, on the bed is a personalized greeting card, and on the dresser is a vase with a flower.
• There is a TV if you want to watch a video. But, frankly, after a busy day with classes, kayaking, hiking etc. I am ready to go to bed.
• The owners, Cory and Laura, who live there during the summer, are wonderful hosts.
• To be sure, there are fancier accommodations on Washington Island; but when I vacation in a rustic place with all the outdoor activity opportunities that the island has to offer, I do not need or look for a fancy hotel.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Wally19
Reviewed August 9, 2010

We visit Washington Island 3+ times each year and ALWAYS stay at the Dor Cros Inn. The Anders’ hospitality and personal attention to every possible need is met and exceeded each and every time we stay. We’ve used the internet reservation system, but prefer now to just give them a call to see what’s available. Restrictions during the peak season offer some challenges, but we’ve never been disappointed with the way Cory and Laura strive to meet the request. They’ve even helped us stay somewhere else one year when there were no rooms available! Now, that’s what I call guest friendly!!! The self check-in was a pleasant surprise our first visit three years ago (Laura was out of the office for a bit). How nice to know there are people who still trust others to do the right thing! Keys were available with a note. The thoughtful ‘welcome’ items placed in the room make us feel like we’ve come home to visit family. An up-to-date list of goings-on around the island is appreciated and they are willing to help connect folks with ventures such as a fishing charter or those can’t miss exercise classes or massage therapist. We have stayed off-season AND peak season in ALL the different types of cabins offered! The Dor Cros Inn is a CLASSIC motel style that is fun and reminds us to slow down and enjoy the surrounding beauty. Each cabin has a unique charm in its decorating and will accommodate the necessities during the stay. Everything is clean, Clean, CLEAN!! Each room has a television. No cable or phone – PERFECT! Who needs cable??? This is a VACATION!!!!!! DVD players and movies are available for the asking and there are books and board games in each room. Getting away to the island is a relaxing, renewing and reconnecting time! There is plenty to discover and getting around is easy on the free bicycles offered to the guests. We’ve trekked MILES around that island! When you are done biking and hiking, throw some horse shoes in the back yard or play some ball or just hang out around the campfire!! We’ve met great people around the fire! Cory and Laura are happy to make everyone’s stay great without being intrusive or nosey. They love to share about the island and make lots of suggestions on what to do or where to eat. At the same time, they are respectful of guests privacy and don’t hang around looking for conversation or imposing themselves on guests. If you want to step back about 20 years into a simpler, quieter way of spending time away, this is the island and the Dor Cros is the place. The folks are friendly here!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 5, 2010

The cancellation policy requires that the innkeeper finds someone to book your reservation. I cancelled my reservation more than a month before my expected arrival and (BIG SURPRISE) they were not able to find someone to take my place so I ENDED UP PAYING even though I didn't stay. I'd never make a reservation there again. The innkeeper, Cory is totally unreasonable.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank weaver123
Reviewed December 12, 2009

We stayed at the Door Cros Inn as they had rooms and accepted our pet. The toilet began to leak and then back up. I couldn't contact the owners as they were gone for the night. We could not use the toilet. Our daughter said she would use the public toilet near the dock, but it was locked even after it was supposed to be open. Our daughter thought she could at least take a shower and then we could leave. The shower also had backed up and could not be used. yuck When we checked out, I told the owner I did not think we should have to pay for the night. He charged us half price! Find another place to stay or even camp. Very unhappy. Also, there was a huge tv in the room that could not be used.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank jnjmomma
Reviewed July 30, 2009

We were planning on a nice vacation-we booked the "loft" cottage at the Dor Cros Inn for 3 days. It was supposed to be a cottage, but upon arrival we found it to be above the office and up a lot of stairs. We had our dog (and had to give $125.00 deposit for him) and found this quite inconvenient. The "loft" was dirty, smelly and we saw 2 black hard shelled bugs resembling cockroaches. We had our dog with us, and our dog would not lay on the carpet and kept smelling the small loveseat (which smelled and looked like something had violated it) and he would not go into the kitchen. The bathroom has a bathtub with a wall jutting into it making it almost impossible to shower in. The shower curtain is a small circle with a hand-held shower attached to it. We hit our heads several times on the part of the wall that takes up half of the bathtub. The carpet in the lliving room is dirty and the furniture is not something we wanted to sit on. We sat on the unstable chair in the small kitchen or the wood chairs in the llving room. The whole place had an odor and we were afraid to sleep in the bed after seeing the black bugs, smelling the odor and looking at the comforter. The pots and pans in the kitchen we covered in dust and some had water and rust running off of them. During the last night of our stay they sawed down limbs from a tree, so we got to listen to that for a few hours. Cory, the owner, seemed friendly and we didn't see his wife until the last day. We are not rude people and didn't want to offend them. but we knew we couldn't stay the last night there under any circumstances and our dog wasn't eating or sleeping. We told Cory that we were going to leave a day early and could he try to re-book it. We ask him if he wanted to look at the place due to the deposit we had given for our dog and he said "no, he would just shred the deposit, and he didn't need to look. After staying in their establishment, our dog was the least of their concerns. We were out of there at 6:30am the next morning to catch the first ferry back to the mainland. I think it was the fastest we have ever left anywhere. We didn't see them the next morning (as it doesn't appear that they live there) so I e-mailed them when we got home asking for a refund of the last day we had payed for. I stated that we also owned a small business and that good-will was important to us and hopefully to them also. The e-mail I got back was that they had tried to re-book it, but couldn't, so they would not refund our money. They offered a gift certificate for a one day stay in the off-season that was good for one year, since good-will was also important to them. I think they have encountered this situation before and ripping people off is nothing new to them. The cost of this stay ended up being $495.54 for 2 days. We drove to St. Ignace, MI and stayed in a nice hotel on the water the next night for $88.00. Even the dog was happy again. I feel that there should be some kind of state regulation for places like this that falsely advertise their accomodations and rip tourists off. I think a visit from the board of health is warranted.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank 23trees
Reviewed July 30, 2009

If you want to feel like you are sleeping in a small ships cabin then the Dor Cros Inn on Washington Island is the destination for you. Dark wood paneling on the walls and the low (about 7ft) ceiling compleate the picture of a cramped tourist trap. But since I was stuck on the island for the night what else could I do but try to ride it out. After getting somthing to eat I was looking forward to a little late night tv then off to bed. However while the dor cross did provide a tv in the room (as advertised) they did not advise me that they have not upgraded to either digital tv nor did they install a converter box. Basicly there was a huge usless wooden and glass block in my already small room taking up precious pace. If you are renting out small rooms, why not maximize the space by removing the useless tv? While hosts cory and laura are outwardly friendly they may be in over thier heads in the lodging industry, and long sice out of buisness in most other markets. It must be nice to know that once your customers have gotten to your island and hotel they have already paid a deposit and are traped with you unless they want to spend the night in the car. Also just a word to cory and laura, If your bathrooms are going to be so small please remember to hand out little bags of peanuts.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank WIischmoe

Been to Dor Cros Inn? Share your experiences!