“delicious dining in casual setting”
Review of Driftless Cafe

Driftless Cafe
Ranked #1 of 20 Restaurants in Viroqua
Cuisines: American, Pizza, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2014

Food, drinks, and service were excellent. Menu options are limited but I get the sense the menu changes often (daily?) based on seasonal offerings from (mostly local) suppliers. We both had a salmon dinner which included a large piece of fish on top of red potato in a delicious sauce with microsalad on top. Flavors worked very well together. Presentation was nice. Good selection of microbrews with an emphasis on local/midwestern brews. Only mild disappointment was the chocolate layer cake which we took to-go; was expecting a more dense choc texture and taste. We had to drive well out of our way to get to the restaurant in Viroqua but we are sure glad we did, it was yummy and a wonderful experience. Highly recommended.

1  Thank SDEAOI6
There are newer reviews for Driftless Cafe

Reviewed October 25, 2013

First of all let me clarify, they were implementing a new computerized ordering system with the cash register so our order came in bits and pieces and it took longer than we anticipated. You order and pay at the counter and your food is brought to your table. Our desserts were served immediately followed by our soup, my dining companions entre and then finally my sandwich. I had the hen of the woods mushroom and bean soup and it was amazingly flavorful with tones of hot curry and coconut. It was so filling there really was no need for a pannini but I had ordered one anyway. It arrived hot and was a BBQ bacon with carmelized onion and mushroom and cheese. To me the flavors were really off and a very strange combination. I wouldn't order it again. My dining companion had the sausage soup with coconut which wasn't packed with flavor as the soup I ordered. She had the Quiche of the day and said it was fine. The chocolate pecan pie with unsweetened whipped cream was sinfully delicious with a tender barely there pastry crust. The giant iced pumpkin cookie my companion had tasted of fresh pumpkin and had no overwhelming spices. It was very good also. All in all, the best soups and desserts we've had in quite some time. Also of note, three tables who came in after us were served ahead of us-I would have expected some compensation for the mix ups and delays with our food but not to be.

2  Thank Shelley11
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Fresh, organic food. Menu varies daily. Great pizza!! Dishes are different. Very tasty!! Wait staff is excellent.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I had a pan-fried chunk of eggplant that was almost steak-like, on a bed of corn polenta, with white beans and kale on the side. To die for. The staff was so fun, interesting and attentive, and they obviously love the food there too.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

A new couple has recently taken over the Driftless Cafe, and while it was always good, it is now Even Better!

Two nights we had dinners that could have been served at a 5 star restaurant in Chicago, NY, etc.! I picked the vegetarian dinners each night, while also stealing bites from my husband's organic, hormone free steak dinners. The butternut squash filled ravioli topped with a variety of vegetables and root vegetables was amazing. Each bite was an explosion of heaven! The Gnocchi was unique and scrumptious, and both dinners were large portions, and came with a side salad. The desserts are still prepared by the same baker and are always delicious.

The staff is friendly and the only draw back is that they are closed on Sunday's and Monday's - but we will give them that!

Cheryl & Winston

2  Thank cstrickln

Been to Driftless Cafe? Share your experiences!