“Only one left”

Cuisines: American, Pizza, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My sister in law found this place to celebrate my mother in laws 90th birthday. We had a group of 14 and reservations were made for 7 pm in advance. Unfortunately, by the time we placed our orders they were down to one pizza and only four of the tenderloin specials. The lack of pizza was a huge dissappointment for the young people in our party. The tenderloin I had was very good and served with rosemary potatoes and green beans. Most everyone else had the locally raised trout which was good but was only served with a side of summer squash. I would have thought some sort of starch like rice should have accompanied the fish. The trout and tenderloiln came with a salad of locally grown produce which was very good. I would recommend this place but if you have your heart set on a certain entree you may want to call ahead and reserve a serving. It just seems odd to me that you can run out of pizza crust. Since they knew they had a large party comming why did they not prepare more? All in all it is a very nice find and the prices were good.

There are newer reviews for Driftless Cafe

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Up until just this evening, we've never had a bad pizza from the Driftless Cafe. Apparently, they recently decided to change their crust from a thin, nearly crispy one to a Sicilian (?) style. Bad move...the crust was not baked long enough and had a semi-raw, doughy consistency...not at all appetizing. For our $27.43, we expected a pizza of much higher quality, not one that Kwik Trip or Pizza Hut can rival! When it comes to restaurant or cafe food satisfaction, one bad meal causes us to think twice before returning. Change is good only if the result is an improvement.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is our second trip to the region, and our second meal at Driftless Cafe, both of which have been a pleasant surprise. The waitstaff are passionate about their food, which is fresh and delicious. We shared a large Greek Salad (with lemon pepper dressing...gentle flavor, but YUM) and a large Sicilian crust vegetarian pizza which was wonderful. The waitress shared that the crust dough is a sourdough with mix of wheat and white flours--reminiscent of a thin, chewy pizza crust consumed on the streets of Paris or Rome-- in other words, totally worth the carbs!
The clientele is casual, sophisticated, educated--who knew--in rural Wisconsin. We will be back!

Reviewed June 12, 2013

I had a really nice meal at Driftless Cafe: a small "Greek" pizza, garden salad, and some great New Glarus beer. The salad, made with a mix of fresh greens and pickled items (asparagus, cabbage) was easily the best salad I've had in a long time. Drink the New Glarus beer while you're in Wisconsin, you can't get it anywhere else. The pizza was also great. I wasn't starving, so they packed up the rest and it was almost as good cold for lunch the next day.

Service was competent and pleasant. Definitely worth a try.

1  Thank MethMouth88
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Oh my, what a gem of a place. The food is outstanding and the service very attentive. They have gluten-free pizza (which my husband had) and I enjoyed the gluten-free Spring Risotto. Their wines are organic and they use locally grown food as much as possible. Get there early because they can quickly sell out of a special.

1  Thank sadiecharlotte

Been to Driftless Cafe? Share your experiences!