Viroqua Heritage Inn
$68
Midway Motel(Viroqua)(Great Value!)
$69
Travelocity
Old Towne Motel(Westby)(Great Value!)
$55
Welch Motel(La Crosse)(Great Value!)
$65
$98
$134
$129
Courtyard
All reviewsb bacross the streetdriftless cafeother guestsbed and breakfastthe ownerkickapoo coffeewithin walking distancein townenjoyed our staybreakfast was deliciousprivate bathroomfarmers marketmade us feela great place to stayfirst floora lovely stay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 13, 2014

Our westward driving vacation wouldn't have been nearly as good had we not stayed at Nancy's Heritage Inn in Viroqua, WI! We spent two nights there so hubby could get some quality time down on the river. We were greeted by a warm and lovely inn keeper, Nancy. We selected the Charlotte Room, which is on the first floor next to the stairs and front door. We're not one for a lot of stairs and often prefer lower levels when we travel. The bed was very comfortable and I told Nancy that my second night there I had a 96% sleep proficiency according to my FitBit! She was intrigued by that. Each morning we were treated to locally grown organic delights. At night we slept well and it was quiet. But in the morning, between the sun rising through our blinds and a few extra early morning guests, we were up earlier than we would have liked. The walls are not very sound proof. If you're seeking a really quiet area, you might want to try the second floor rear of the house. We liked the first floor also because of the bathroom and shower set up. This is a larger suite. A couple of suggestions...provide room darkening shades for bedroom and upgrade the bathroom toiletries.

Room Tip: For a quiet area, try a second floor rear room. Larger suite, Charlotte Room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Feeling like I was in need of some time away, I drove to Viroqua and landed on this little gem. It was exactly what I needed! My room was clean and comfortable and charming. The atmosphere was relaxing and peaceful. Safe town. Wonderful innkeeper. Yummy coffee. I'm coming back AND staying longer!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Larssa14
Reviewed October 27, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Eckhart House for an overnight stop on our way from the Twin Cities to Milwaukee. Charlotte's Room was beautifully decorated and comfortable. The chill of autumn was in the air, but we were warm and cozy in this room. The small sitting area was comfortable as was the high king size bed. There were other sitting areas in the main floor of the house and beverages and snacks for weary travelers. Nancy, the innkeeper was very hospitable and knowledgeable about the area. Breakfast was truly delicious - I don't know where she was able to get sweet ripe melon - and the fact that she uses organic and local food was a really selling point for me. Unlike proprietors of other B&Bs, one of Nancy's first questions to us was when would we like breakfast, What a delight to be able to sleep in and have breakfast when WE wanted to. Another selling point! We always try to find a B&B to stay in to break up the traveling, and the Eckhart House was a delightful find!

Room Tip: Charlotte's room is on the main floor, and although private and lovely, we were able to hear other guests rising and getting going with their breakfasts. Having said that, this was not a big deal, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay in that room on a return visit.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mjonairn
Reviewed October 11, 2013

The Eckhart House was simply delightful, pointing to an earlier place in time. The place is decorated in period decor except a few pieces for the comfort of the guests. We stayed in the Eckhart Room. Very comfortable, quiet rooms. Nancy, the Inn-keeper, is concerned for the comfort and pleasure of her guests. She points out things to do in the area and supports local industry. The breafasts surpassed our expectations. Not only were they tasty but good for you as well. The Inn has alot of nice amenities. Nancy asks YOU when you would like breakfast. One does not have to conform to her schedule! There, one can enjoy coffee, tea and popcorn when ever you would like. We enjoyed the porch, the deck and of course the gardens. Most definitely would love to stay there again!

Room Tip: Any room would be a delight!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda K
Reviewed September 17, 2013

My wife and I always enjoy the Driftless region of WI - rolling hills, trout streams, hiking and camping opportunites, great fresh food, etc. Viroqua especially, since despite being a bit away from major metro areas, it has a lot of amenities one doesn't expect to find in a rural town. Three underground theater companies? A world-class food cooperative? A fair-trade high quality coffee roaster?

The Heritage Inn has been one of those consistently great amenities. The rooms are quiet and comfortable and well-appointed, the house is beautiful (we've only stayed in the Eckhart house, the large Victorian mansion across the street was rented out for the season) and extremely well-maintained in lush period style. The proprietress is a lovely person, very welcoming and friendly, and committed to promoting the local products of the community. Breakfast is made from fresh local ingredients (and is delicious), there's always-accessible coffee from the fantastic Kickapoo coffee roasters, and the gardens and porch are beautiful and comfortable. The prices are even reasonable for a B&B of this quality.

The location couldn't be better, either. It's on a quiet side street, so there's hardly any noise to speak of, and yet it's a mere two city blocks from the main street and historic downtown area.

There's even a "frequent guest" program. Stay 5 nights, get the sixth free. I already intend to take advantage of that.

My only quibbles are technological and very, very minor - payment is still manually processed so there's a longish delay between paying and having the charges show up on your account; and the tvs in the rooms are pretty ancient (although, frankly, if you're visiting the VHI and you're watching TV, you're doing it wrong. It'd almost be better if they weren't there at all). They've got decent wifi, though. Again, if you're surfing the net for the bulk of your stay, you're missing the point, but nonetheless it's nice to have (especially if you need to email your great photos of your trip to envious family members back home).

It's really a special place, definitely worth a look if you want a vacation in a beautiful part of Wisconsin. It's close enough to Madison, LaCrosse and even Minneapolis that it's an easy day trip for a quick weekend getaway.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple