“Nothing special”

Good for: Bar scene
Rochester, New York
“Nothing special”
Reviewed August 20, 2014 via mobile

Reminded me of a fast food restaurant on the outside and inside. Kind of like a Five Guys with good beers on tap. There were lots of beers choices but the burgers were not as good as Five Guys unfortunately.

1 Thank donpecor

Madison, Wisconsin, USA
“Interesting concept”
Reviewed August 9, 2014

It's located in a new strip mall in Verona, and has an interesting shape and feel. It's a narrow L-shaped bar. I expected it to be dark, but walked in, and it's brightly lit with dark high ceilings. A chalkboard in the small foyer spells out food and drink specials. With the L-shape and it being a narrow space, it's hard to see from the entrance anything about the place except for the exposed kitchen, which is neat. Nothing to tell you whether to seat yourself, or wait for a server to seat you. We didn't have much choice for seating, as the tables hadn't been cleaned yet that were open. But we ended up seated at the window at a high boy, and there was a spot on the windowsill for my purse. I liked that. The stools have backs, which is awesome. The menu is very limited -- 12 burger choices, a pulled pork sandwich, and a chicken sandwich. Glad we're not vegetarians. Everything's a la carte -- our $7.49 burgers came with nothing. Burger was good, but I don't think it's worth $7.49 when I got nothing with it. We ordered the Pub Grub for $5.49, which hit the spot. Enough for two people, and it was an interesting mix of homemade chips smothered in beer cheese sauce (think more cream cheese), with chives, and that was a hit. Concrete floors with plenty of TVs, so I'm guessing they're positioning themselves as a sports bar to appeal to the guy who loves craft beer. However, the crowd was decidedly older -- even older than us. We're late 40s, 50-ish, but we were some of the youngest people here. We wanted to sit on the deck, but it was full. Plus, it's tiny. But it does look fun out there. John was our server and was very attentive. My husband had an Alaskan Amber, and I had two of the special Bud-a-Ritas for $3 each. They came in their own branded Mason jar handled mug with a lime, ice and straw. Very refreshing. I wish them well. I just think more space would enhance the experience. But we always welcome a new neighbor to Verona, and it's an interesting fit. We used our Dollars and Sense $5 off a $20 order coupon, which was a great deal. I still think, though, the burgers are overpriced. Delicious and fun, but pricey. I did like the black square baskets they come in. Served with plasticware, but that's better than other places, where you can't get utensils for eating a burger, no matter what. So this was nice. And lots of napkins right at the table. Good luck, Brews Brothers; we'll check on you again when we have more burger money.

Madison, Wisconsin
“Standard Bar...But Pricey!”
Reviewed August 8, 2014

This place is in a strip mall, sandwiched between a Little Caesar's and an Orange Leaf Yogurt. You walk in, and there's no signage nor host to seat you, but a friendly server was there to help out. It's a relatively small place with a tiny outside deck. It's pretty clean and there are plenty of beers from which to choose. We had to kind of stand and mill around our table, while the staff cleaned it off for us. Weird, but okay.

There are 14 burger choices, but they're all a la carte. And, each one is at least $7. I'm good with that, as long as they're worth the money. They're not. I had the Kentucky Bourbon Burger and it was okay, but certainly not worth the price. A friend asked for a medium rare burger, and they refused to accommodate his request.

My wife had the Jalapeno Popper Burger, and she loved it. We shared the Pub Grub, a $5 basket of homemade chips with cheese and chives. That was a GREAT food companion for a bar, which is really all this place is. The open kitchen is kind of cool, and so are all the beer taps.

My best advice? Go to the 5th Quarter for a better, less-expensive burger. Or, if you're willing to drive, head to the Oakcrest or even Red Robin. Monkey Shines isn't bad for a bar burger either. I would even say Culver's nearby might be a better alternative. Brews Brothers only has burgers and a couple other sandwiches, too. So, if you're looking for variety, this isn't the place.

It should be noted that our server, John, did an outstanding job. He can't be held responsible for some really, really average food.

1 Thank Vinpach
Blue Mounds, Wisconsin
“Delicious food and LOTS of beer choices”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

The entire list of beers that we were given were all available on tap. I didn't count the number, but I'm guessing over 50.
Our family of 4 shared an order of Pub Grub (homemade chips, cheese, bacon, green onions) to start with. I had the Kentucky Bourbon Burger (french onion rings, bourbon-cooked onions, bacon) and it was terrific! I don't recall what anyone else had, but they also loved their food. The waitress was very quick and attentive. My only recommendation for improvement is to turn the TVs down so we can talk and proactively provide at least forks for the Pub Grub.
We'll definitely be back!

1 Thank zeffantm
MADISON
“Excellent burgers and beer in Verona”
Reviewed June 29, 2014

Brews Brothers is the newest of a small WI chain of taprooms + hamburgers and if you are looking for lots of fine craft beers on tap (40+) and great burgers and service, this is the best in or near the west side of Madison.

The beers are from the US & Europe, including Wisconsin, of course, and most styles are represented. The service is usually prompt, although a big crowd in to watch a big game on the many large TVs does slow it down. It's not a large space, but there is seating at the bar, 15-20 tables and along the back wall. There are also some outdoor tables which are fine when road traffic is light.

Another plus of stopping here is that next door is a great frozen yogurt shop (Orange Leaf) where you build your own dessert from the numerous wall dispensers and the toppings bar.

• Visited June 2014

Been to Mr Brews Taphouse? Share your experiences!