“A sanctuary from the rat race”

Woodland Dunes Nature Center
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 239 helpful votes
“A sanctuary from the rat race”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Okay, I'll try again. Last time I reviewed Woodland Dunes it didn't take. I asked Trip Advisor where my review was, never got an answer. So here goes again. If you are a birder, like to hike, or just commune with nature, this place should be a magnet to you. This is a non-profit organization. There are miles of trails. The diversity of habitats is very diverse. Great special events, always something to do. Whether it's observing warbler migrations, watching the banding of saw whet owls, watching osprey raise their young, or if you just want a great place to walk and leave the polluted and hectic world behind, you will want to go here. Staff is always friendly. Don't have a birding book? You can purchase one in the store that is in an older, but handsome, building that is the headquarters. There are actually three distinct areas which make for more habitats to explore. Walk the butterfly garden, climb the new observation tower, walk the boardwalk into a marshy area. It's all good! I, myself, go out there at least three times a month. If you run into me, I'll show you edible plants and help with bird identification. If you are a fan of Mother Nature you will find kindred spirits here; and you just might find a friend for life, a wonderful place. If you find yourself in Two Rivers (if you want to blend with locals say "Trivers") I highly recommend that you spend some time at the Dunes. You WILL enjoy your time there. Did I mention it's free; but leave a small donation to help keep it going. Hoka hey!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank Calicoboy

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 239 helpful votes
“Commute with nature”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Woodland Dunes is a non-profit wildlife refuge. There are numerous trails for hiking and nature study and bird watching. Depending on the time of the year you can see ospreys nesting, saw whet owl banding, and warbler migrations. This is a friendly, well managed place to forget about the hectic world we live in. Go for a walk in the butterfly garden, peruse the store and museum, climb the observation tower. Anyone there will be friendly and a kindred spirit to those who appreciate the natural world. I cannot emphasize how healing it is for the body and spirit to spend a few hours in this remarkable preserve. If you find yourself in Two Rivers (Trivers to the locals) find Woodland Dunes and spend some time there. You will glad you did. This is where I go to recharge a couple times a month.

Visited January 2014