“Charming spot on Lake Michigan”

Lighthouse Inn Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Two Rivers
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This was my first trip to Two Rivers and I'm glad I chose the Lighthouse. After a long drive from the east coast, I was tired a ready to relax and it was nice to receive a warm and friendly welcome from the helpful staff at the front desk. While it's been mentioned in other reviews that the decor could use some updating, I found it had a certain charm and the staff keeps the rooms wonderfully clean! Contrary to what you see in the pictures on their website, the rooms have been updated with hi-def, flat screen tvs and the channel selection is good. For anyone concerned with getting in some exercise, the fitness room at the hotel is not great, but you can get a pass to the YMCA that is about an 8-minute drive away in Manitowoc and they have a very nice facility. Be sure to visit the restaurant during your visit, the view is amazing, the staff is great, and the food is tasty. And last but not least, take a walk across the street to visit the Hamilton Wood Type and Printing Museum...a site not to be missed!

Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Samantha B

Reviewed October 20, 2013

I know from working in customer service that all too often, those happy with their service don't take the time to comment about their experience, so I wanted to take a few minutes and comment on mine at the Lighthouse Inn in Two Rivers.

My husband and I were married in September and held both the ceremony and reception at the hotel. The wedding was certainly more planning and preparation than I had anticipated, but both Steve and Jean, the banquet coordinators, made me feel at ease from the very beginning. Sitting down for the first of several sessions with Steve, some of my (ever-present) wedding stress seemed to melt away. Steve was friendly, professional, and was very knowledgeable about timing, setting up, and decorations. He was able to answer all my questions and make helpful suggestions. As we were somewhat on a budget, both Steve and Jean were able to quote prices so that we could stay within a range we were comfortable with. Steve and Jean always made themselves available to me for any questions that cropped up over the next few months, whether it was on the phone, through e-mail, or in person- I enjoyed working with both of them.

I had always wanted to have an outdoor wedding, and we were able to have it on the beach behind the hotel. Not only was the beach clean, an arch had been beautifully decorated in front of the lake. Chairs were also set up overlooking the water, and my husband and I were able to exchange our vows with the waves as a backdrop. I had several guests tell me after the ceremony (and some even wrote to me!) to tell me it was the most beautiful ceremony they had ever seen. We had also wanted to have gift bags in the room for our guests, and the hotel manager made sure they were all placed in the rooms on each guest's day of arrival, which I felt was a great touch (I expected they'd just hand them out at the desk). I found the hotel reception staff to be very helpful and personable to our guests.

I have to say, the food was also incredible. My husband and I really wanted a unique buffet-style dinner with some special touches, and not only did the kitchen staff work to personalize the meal to our specifications, the food was hot, delicious, and many of our guests went up for seconds (and thirds). The service was seamless- plates were cleared promptly, glasses refilled, and lines moved quickly (which is always a concern with a buffet.) My only regret is that I couldn't fit seconds into my dress! We had a fall-themed wedding, and Steve and Jean ordered special red tablecloths for the banquet hall. I was able to bring in silk fall leaves which they used to decorate the staircase with tool and lights. We were able to bring in some of our own decorations, and use some of the Lighthouse's decorations as well, which saved us time and money. The staff did a wonderful job in setting up our tables- it was great to walk into the hall after having our pictures taken outside and see the hall exactly as I had always envisioned it! We provided beer, wine, and soda free of charge to our guests, and it was surprisingly affordable (and of course, the guests loved it!) We also had a cocktail hour upstairs after the ceremony, and some pizzas were served later in the evening for those who were driving home- I'm told it was great!

What was most important to us, however, was the happiness of the guests traveling to see us and the overall quality of the experience, and we were not disappointed there, either. From the ceremony, to the reception, to the following morning, our guests were very happy. Many of our relatives commented on how wonderful it was to wake up and see/hear the waves in the morning, and several went for walks along the beach and enjoyed breakfast in the restaurant before checking out. In summation, I was extremely satisfied with the service I received from the Lighthouse Inn staff, and would certainly recommend them to anyone planning a big event....or just planning a weekend away.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank J K
Reviewed October 10, 2013

When I checked into our room it smelled terrible. My husband thought it smelled of sewage gas. They pleasantly gave us a new room with no odor. Everyone was pleasant until check out. As I was checking out (I even told them they charged me for 2 days instead of 3 which I thought was the right thing to do) and she was correcting our bill, another woman from the back room came out to help the lady behind the counter. I asked if they were able to correct the odor problem they had. She snapped at me loudly and said "We were not just going to ignore it." I was shocked at the way she responded to me. I stood there for a second and said I never insinuated you would just ignore it. Anyways her response upset me quite a bit. When I got in the car with my husband I told him that I don't think I ever want to stay there again. The woman was so very rude. It only takes one employee at an establishment to make one not want to return.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MaryPaul
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Time spent at the Hotel, bar and restuarant was very pleasant. Previous comments are accurate about being dated, but we her not expecting a 5 star hotel. It was clean and all the folks were friendly, we will stay again next year.

Room Tip: if you book through booking.com and do a 'special request' to get a lake side room, the hote...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank traefree
Reviewed July 18, 2013

All the reviews we had seen written said the very same thing that we found to be true. The property was nice, but nothing to rave about. Furnishing very dated and somewhat uncomfortable to sit in. We had the King-Deluxe Room on the 2nd floor that had the 'double lake" view and it was very nice with a beautiful view. The only real drawback was that there was a bench outside the window that allowed smokers to sit there and have a cigarette. The one we had outside had taken her book to read, so she wasn't going away soon and that smoke just washed right back into our room. It was nice listening to the water all night as we slept. The front desk was very helpful and pleasant as was all of the people who worked at the Inn. Truth be told we wouldn't go back there only because we'd like to try someplace different.

Room Tip: Ask for the King-Deluxe with the double lake view. You can always keep the windows shut and then an...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pjungel
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel is absolutely right on the lake. We left the window open all the time to hear the waves. The hotel is outdated, but is clean. However, I think they either do not have enough cleaning staff on hand. Check in is 3:00 pm. We arrived around 3:30 and were told our room wasn't ready yet. We were told another 20 minutes. Came back around 4 and was told it still wasn't ready and get this, were told we don't know when it will be ready. You really say that to someone when it is an hour past the check in time. We got to check in at 5 pm. We got to the room to see that it didn't have the flat screen TV that is listed on their website for executive rooms. I called and they did bring a TV up to the room. If it wasn't for the view, I would have rated the hotel average, because the decor was outdated and they seemed disorganized.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mate0517
Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is a great place to stay or a great place to have a romantic dinner. The large glass windows in the bar or Dining room look right on to lake michigan, and parts of the Two Rivers Jettys can also be seen at the right angle.

Room Tip: ask for a table next to the window, or 2nd choice as for a table on the 2nd level, so you can see ou...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
#5 of 6 in Manitowoc
Fox Hills Resort
Fox Hills Resort
#1 of 1 in Mishicot

Been to Lighthouse Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!