“Perfect for a couples weekend”

Still Bend - Bernard Schwartz House
Ranked #9 of 13 things to do in Two Rivers
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Still Bend / Bernard Schwartz House is Frank Lloyd Wright's Life Magazine Dream House. The home is open periodically for tours as well as open year round as an overnight vacation rental allowing people to Experience Living in a Frank Lloyd Wright designed masterpiece
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our anniversary with a few friends. The house was amazingly beautiful. The tall ceilings in the great room, kitchen, and master bath allowed outside light to enter through wooden cutout patterns on the windows. The great room was very spacious and well designed with heated floors. Also has a split hearth with plenty of room to stretch out while watching TV or listening to music.The master bedroom was large and had a full bathroom. The other three bedrooms are relatively small, but suitable for sleeping. Our group spent most of our time in the great room, kitchen, and dining area anyway. The house is located on a large riverfront lot with two patios. Also has a stairway down to the river.
I must take exception to the first reviewer who commented on the shabbiness of the furniture. Although the furniture had dated colors, it was clean, comfortable, and in good condition. The "retro" colors grew on our group and reminded us of the Brady Bunch house. The decorating was somewhat kiitschy, but delightful. My wife and I were thrilled to find fresh cut flowers waiting on the dining room table. Special thanks to the owners for their thoughtfulness.
The owners have gone out of their way to equip the house with useful amenities including Wi-Fi, LCD TV, stereo, CD's, DVD's, washer/dryer, gas grill, cooking utensils, clean towels, board games, and books about Frank Lloyd Wright. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend to others.

4  Thank cooleybird

Reviewed September 27, 2011

As a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright, I was extremely excited for the opportunity to spend a few nights under the roof of a FLW home, and the Swartz House itself was everything I imagined it would be - astonishing attention to detail, amazing Morning and evening light shows, and a pervasive sense of the man who designed it. It was a pleasure just to sit and absorb the history of this simple yet profound piece of American architecture. There was, however, if not displeasure at least disappointment in many of the home's accessories: the furnishings were shabby, lumpy, beyond time-worn and not at all what I expected in a two-night minimum, expensive accommodation. I get that the sectional might have been original to the previous owners, but seriously, have a comfortable, clean replica made! Throughout our stay, I just kept thinking how much more fabulous the house - and the experience - could have been if the attention to detail apparent in the design and construction of the house would have carried thru to everything else.

Bring a camera and tripod - the place is most photogenic at day break and dusk, walking shoes to explore the delightful neighborhood, and a peaceful attitude. There's a fully functional kitchen, but we found several local places that delivered so really didn't test it out. There's also a washer and dryer, which really came in handy!

This was a great chance to live in history, and one I'd surely take advantage of again!

2  Thank hometownwriter